Sep 24, 2009, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Wireless Buddy Box system vendor at neat

Did anyone pickup one of these wireless buddy box system at neat from the 2ICRC guys. I am kind of tempted to pick this up to play with FPV and also just since its interesting.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2009, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1
Did anyone pickup one of these wireless buddy box system at neat from the 2ICRC guys. I am kind of tempted to pick this up to play with FPV and also just since its interesting.
I'm going to grab one later this year (after I pay my school taxes!).

Scott
Sep 25, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
I am thinking it could be a good addition to my clubs trainer plane.
Sep 26, 2009, 01:23 AM
Futaba WTR-7 FASST Wireless Trainer System

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV7&P=0
Sep 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
215.0 MPH
Not sure the market he is targeting. The unit is huge, and mounts in the plane. Then you mount 2, yes 2 receivers, and each connects into the unit, and ALL of the servos attach to the unit also.

Then by flipping a switch on the master transmitter, you transfer control to the slave transmitter.

This will not transfer plane to plane easily, and it means you have to have the transmitter/receiver match done for the master and the slave.

A possible need might be if father/son want to fly a big expensive plane on their own radio, but then again, do you want all this complexity in that application.

The designer has a cool product, I just don't think there is a market.

Quote:
Sep 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
215.0 MPH
Very, very different than was was at NEAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape

Last edited by markusvt; Sep 26, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Sep 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape

So for this futaba version I would require 2 of these units on the back of each transmitter correct.
Sep 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Here is a video of it that I found on youtube if anyone is unaware of what I am talking about.

MarkUSVT - What markets do you believe this is targeting. Would it be more for commercial use.

Wireless Buddy Box by 2icrc Remote Control Airplane (3 min 24 sec)
Sep 26, 2009, 01:29 PM
215.0 MPH
Cool device, but I don't think there is a market. Buy a cord and a dummy box for training, easy, cheap, quick.

[QUOTE=livinma1]Here is a video of it that I found on youtube if anyone is unaware of what I am talking about.

MarkUSVT - What markets do you believe this is targeting. Would it be more for commercial use.
Last edited by markusvt; Sep 26, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Sep 28, 2009, 10:08 AM
XPO
XPO
Quote:
What markets do you believe this is targeting? Would it be more for commercial use?
------
As the Product Developer and Vendor of this product perhaps the below text will shed some light on the versatility of this product as well as some of its applications.
------

XPO Co-op Pilot (Wireless Buddy Box) by Second In Command R/C www.2icrc.com

Introduction
This product takes the "Buddy Box" style of flying to the next level by eliminating the "trainer cord". The in-flight unit is a device that allows two Tx/Rx pairs to pilot the same remotely controlled vehicle. The master pilot has the ability to grant or deny full/partial flight control to the secondary pilot. Since there are two receivers on board the aircraft and two transmitters on the ground, this system offers numerous redundancies and safety to your vehicle. The XPO Co-op Pilot can switch control of up to 6 channels to the secondary pilot. Programs on TXs are independent and can be set to the skill level or comfort level of each pilot.

Flexibility/Redundancy
The master transmitter/receiver and secondary transmitter/receiver can be any brand using any transmission technology (Spektrum, FASST, PCM, PPM, FM, AM, etc). For example, the master Tx/Rx system can be JR and the secondary Tx/Rx system can be Futaba (or any other brand system for either master or secondary pilots). Assign any dial or toggle as the switching channel to grant flight access to secondary pilot - no more straining finger on awkward "trainer switch".

Piloting/Training
Since the servo control switching occurs on board the aircraft, the pilots are free to stand anywhere. For flight instruction, the beginner pilot enjoys the freedom of standing alone and sensation of solo flight in every flight. This system can also be used for advanced training where the secondary pilot is practicing advanced aerobatics, 3D & pattern maneuvers, jet waiver, etc. Master pilot can grant full control or partial control of the vehicle to the secondary pilot. For example, learn 3D one channel at a time... Multi-Co-op Training is also possible with up to 4 pilots! See the "Features " Link in our website.

Co-op Competition
Also, flight competitions like Pylon Racing can now enjoy the benefit of two pilots instead of one. This means that the flight track can be twice the normal size where one portion of the Pylon Markers are easily viewed by one pilot while the second half of the track is easily monitored by the other pilot. Furthermore, other R/C vehicles like cars and boats may also use the device to increase piloting surface coverage (i.e., two drivers at different portions of a car track or two boat racers on either side of stream/pond).

Other competition applications are possible where the switching between pilots is controlled by a third (judges table) Tx/Rx pair - this is like "Air Horse". Pilot "A" calls out a series of maneuvers, then the judges table passes control over to secondary pilot. Pilot "B" has to reproduce the maneuvers Pilot "A" just performed. The aircraft(s) used in competition are sponsored by the event and are unveiled at the Competition. Dueling pilots are given time to install their Receivers on-board the Competition Aircraft. There are two stages to this competition. First Stage - "The Gentleman's Duel", competing pilots call out maneuvers over a speaker system. Second Stage - "The Blind Duel", pilots call out a number representing a maneuver sequence from a list provided by the pilot to the judges. Each pilot creates his/her own list with sequenced maneuvers. This way, the second pilot has to recognize the maneuvers he/she just witnessed then reproduce them.

Professional/Photography
Very handy for Film Makers and Aerial photography (especially using helis). For example, the master pilot can maintain a hover and give tail rotor control to secondary pilot. The secondary pilot manages the on-board camera (zoom, focus, etc...) and pans the entire heli to center & capture the shot.

OR

Take off here, fly towards secondary pilot over the ridgeline, treeline, hilltop, building, etc...give him/her flight control so they can "do their thing" then fly back to you so you can land....

FPV - First Person View
You can set up an actual scale process of dropping bombs from a bomber model. As the plane is flying over a target, the pilot can relinquish control of the plane to the bombardier, who'd fly the plane over the target and drop the bombs, and then hand the control back to the pilot. An FPV Camera can be set up as if it was a bomb sight, and literally give control to the bombardier RC pilot to drop the bombs, once "bomb are away" the master/main pilot takes control back from the bombardier.

For extra points, the TV screen for the bombardier's FPV can be in a box that one has to crouch over and look down into just like the real thing.

AND whatever else you can imagine for FPV....

UAV Application
Test your custom artificial pilot without worries of crashing. Grant servo control to your artificial pilot whenever you wish and take control back whenever as well. If you run both human and artificial inputs into the in-flight computer you run the risk of crashing if the computer freezes up or powers down. Your entire vehicle can go down in a single point of failure!!!!!!! I have flown UAVs and have had a few go down that way. This is why I developed this product! Don't tackle safety protocols and flight testing together in one sitting! Use the XPO to test your artificial pilot without worrying about how to handle safety issues due to loss of communication to your on board computer!!!!!!

Visit our Testimonial Page endorsed by Maynard Hill (Aviation World Record Holder), PGRC Club President Dave Turner and more...

See website for many more features and specs. Videos are also online at our website.

www.2icrc.com
Last edited by XPO; Oct 02, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Sep 28, 2009, 10:48 AM
Thread OP
Xpo - Thanks for the in depth regarding the system. I believe it does fit my clubs need.
Oct 02, 2009, 01:30 AM
I saw this gear at XFC, definetly a nice to have item for any RC club with a training program.

I think this would be really cool for Air shows, ... one pilot fly's at one and of the field and another pilot takes over at the other end, this way every one gets to see the plane. I like your Pylon idea too.

There is just a lot of fun stuff that can be done with this.

Dan
Oct 02, 2009, 06:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supi7
I saw this gear at XFC, definetly a nice to have item for any RC club with a training program.

I think this would be really cool for Air shows, ... one pilot fly's at one and of the field and another pilot takes over at the other end, this way every one gets to see the plane. I like your Pylon idea too.

There is just a lot of fun stuff that can be done with this.

Dan
Those are excellent ideas Dan..So end to end control . I never thought about it in an application like that.

Quick Reply