Oct 09, 2009, 04:14 PM
Alexander,
Very nice work on the DC-6. I'm sure the rest of the model will be a masterpiece as well.
Paul
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2009, 05:45 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
In the last days I worked in the nacelle i.e. the motormount. I had to make three of them until it fitted as I wished. Problem are the 7° dihedral. Now it fits and the wheels (almost) fit into the nacelle.

The motormount / nacelle is just glued to the wing. Since I made three of them the first one had to be taken away again. But that proved to be a problem. It was so solid that I have no concern that this would not be tight enough. Every nacelle will take one 350W E-motor and that is no problem.

Please remember that everything you see (despite the landing gear itself) is just a mockup to help me with the design. So I use 2nd choice material and the wing mockup is pretty torn down now.
Oct 11, 2009, 05:54 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Another thing I want to test first are the gear doors. The DC-6 has five of them (one is attached to the strut).

As I wrote above the wheels almost fit into the nacelle. This is the same in the full scale DC-6. The photos show the bulge in the main gear door that goes around the wheels.

I will make the doors out of 0.3mm aluminium sheets. On the photos you see how I want to make that. It's a compromise but it works. Since these doors are a mockup as well I didn't take too much time to make it look nice.
Oct 11, 2009, 06:41 AM
Very nice project, DAG told me to look at this and it is a true masterpiece. What are you going to cover her with, glass????

Great work, Nick
Oct 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you Nick!

I'm not sure yet about covering. I'm still thinking of Orastick (like Oracover / Monocote but self adhesive). The Balsa sheeting will be painted with a primer. But my intension is to get the baby flying. It is not a scale project.

I have no experience with glassing at all. So I try to avoid it. Plus I think it might get too heavy. This plane must be built at a low weight. If I can manage 6kg (approx 212oz) I would be more than happy. Then the wingloading would be about 90g/dm² (less than 30 oz/sqft).

Also I can use Orastick to imitate the sheet plates.

But I will start thinking about it later. All in all I expect at least one more year for this project.

Best
Alexander
Oct 14, 2009, 11:47 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP

Question on Flaps

Hi everyone,

this is not only a Build Log. I also like to participate in your experience

This is pretty much my second scratch build. So in some cases I do not have enough experience. One problem I have to solve before I start building the wing is how the flaps are to be attached.

The pictures show the flaps of the Red Bull DC-6. When I visited Salzburg they were very helpful and did everything that the visit became a full success. So they powered up the plane to show me the function of the flaps, gave me a ladder and I almost crawled into the wing to take these pictures.

Then you see some drawings from the douglas manuals.

Finally I drew the flaps with simplyfied hinges. Here I don't want to stay too far outside of the wing with the pivot.

First question: will my simplified version work?

Second question: does anyone see a chance to build the orginal kinematics (maybe from glass fiber parts). The height of the flap on the inner wing is 30.5mm (1.2") and at the outboard side 21mm (0.83").

Your suggestions and comments are most welcome! Thank you!

Best Alexander
Oct 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB
Hi everyone,

this is not only a Build Log. I also like to participate in your experience

This is pretty much my second scratch build. So in some cases I do not have enough experience. One problem I have to solve before I start building the wing is how the flaps are to be attached.
Nur ihre zweiter "scratchbuild?" Ausgezeichnet! Natürlich, übung macht den Meister, ja? (Bitte entshuldigung, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut...)
Quote:
The pictures show the flaps of the Red Bull DC-6. When I visited Salzburg they were very helpful and did everything that the visit became a full success. So they powered up the plane to show me the function of the flaps, gave me a ladder and I almost crawled into the wing to take these pictures.

Then you see some drawings from the douglas manuals.

Finally I drew the flaps with simplyfied hinges. Here I don't want to stay too far outside of the wing with the pivot.

First question: will my simplified version work?

Second question: does anyone see a chance to build the orginal kinematics (maybe from glass fiber parts). The height of the flap on the inner wing is 30.5mm (1.2") and at the outboard side 21mm (0.83").

Your suggestions and comments are most welcome! Thank you!

Best Alexander
Yes, your simplified version will work well, and has been used on models to simulate "Fowler-type" flaps. I have a Marutaka Bird Dog kit, that uses the external pivot for flaps. The downside is it will not provide the scale extension, of course.

A scale mechanism could be made, but obviously, it would be complex! Fiberglass components might work, but if you had some CNC cut aluminum pieces, as in your landing gear, it would even look scale! I think the difficult, or at least tedious, part would be making certain all the pivot points were lined up to eliminate binding.
Oct 15, 2009, 02:37 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Nur ihre zweiter "scratchbuild?" Ausgezeichnet! Natürlich, übung macht den Meister, ja? (Bitte entshuldigung, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut...)
Vielen Dank PDX (aus Portland?). Aber Ihr Deutsch ist ausgezeichnet und fast fehlerfrei. I wish my English would be as good as your German

First of all: I'll give the scale solution a try! I will build a mockup as usual to see how it works and to see wether it will be durable enough. I think I have enough time and the winter just started.

When you take a closer look at the flap links You will notice that they seem to be ball links. I saw the flaps beeing extended in Salzburg. They move not only backwards but also a little away from the fuselage.

I also have a T-Rex 450 Helicopter and in my spare-parts-box I found these Ball-Links that might work for that. The main advantage: they are adjustable so binding of the whole structure can be easily avoided. But I'd prefere the Alumunium milled parts.

BTW does anyone know a freeware software that allows to build the 2D kinematics, i.e. the movement of the parallelogram? That would help a lot.

One concern is still there: will I be able to maintain this, i.e. can I detach this later, if necessary?

Best Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Oct 15, 2009 at 02:43 AM.
Oct 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
I took some time to get into the Flap Kinematics. First I found a great software SAM from Artas in the Netherlands (www.artas.nl). They give a free on year license for private usage and the send me a key.

First I desinged the kinematics to a) fit well into the wing and b) give a backwards Movement of 20mm and an angle of 50° like the full scale does.

The software allows to produce a little AVI Video *Click Here*.

Attached you find a drawing I did with Illustrator. All the parts are clear now and I hope that I can mill the first test-parts next week.

What I really think is nice is that I have all that material from Douglas plus hundrets of photos from the Red Bull DC-6 that I don't have to find my own design. I just adapt what is done in the full scale DC-6.

I just hope that this solution turns out durable enough and that it will work flawless.

Best Alexander
Oct 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
BTW: today the four propeller arrived. I use the Varioprop propeller with adjustable pitch. They are just great! I shortened them to give the look of the orginal. It's not perfect but I think OK.
Oct 17, 2009, 02:00 PM
It actually Flies!

Signing Up!!

Alexander,

I am really sorry I missed this thread to date!! signed up and bag of popcorn in hand!!

I love your scale approach to things and how you go about thinking them through. That is what makes scratch building so enjoyable.

Gotta get back to work on my Walrus before Baldguy attacks again!

Good Luck

Float Flyer
Oct 17, 2009, 05:41 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB
Vielen Dank PDX (aus Portland?). Aber Ihr Deutsch ist ausgezeichnet und fast fehlerfrei. I wish my English would be as good as your German
Ja, Ich wohne in Portland, Oregon, jetzt um 11 Jahre. Mein Deutsch? Hehe! Mein English/Deutsch Wörterbuch ist am nützlichsten!

Quote:
First of all: I'll give the scale solution a try! I will build a mockup as usual to see how it works and to see wether it will be durable enough. I think I have enough time and the winter just started.

When you take a closer look at the flap links You will notice that they seem to be ball links. I saw the flaps beeing extended in Salzburg. They move not only backwards but also a little away from the fuselage.

I also have a T-Rex 450 Helicopter and in my spare-parts-box I found these Ball-Links that might work for that. The main advantage: they are adjustable so binding of the whole structure can be easily avoided. But I'd prefere the Alumunium milled parts.

BTW does anyone know a freeware software that allows to build the 2D kinematics, i.e. the movement of the parallelogram? That would help a lot.

One concern is still there: will I be able to maintain this, i.e. can I detach this later, if necessary?

Best Alexander
I figure with enough planning, this ought to be maintainable. Try to install access hatches on the bottom of the wing, maybe?

James
Oct 18, 2009, 06:31 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you, James. I will build a Mockup and see. If I manage to detach the flap itself I think I will be able to access the screws and change parts if necessary.

Short update: I let my mill work and this is the result (see pictures). I just scaled the entire kinematics by the factor the flap gets narrower towards the end. Of course I had to bring the holes for the M2 screws back to 2mm.

The best is: the entire levers and so on weigt less than 7g The matarial is 1mm Duraluminium which is so durable that I barely can bend it with my fingers.

Next will be building a mockup of a Flap and rear part of the wing to see how the whole thing behaves.
Oct 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
PERFECT! GREAT WORK! 112% great .

DAG
Oct 19, 2009, 04:29 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you Dag, also thank you for your great inspiration on your B-36 project.

In the German Forum a friend did a wonderful GIF animation of the flaps Movement:

Quick Reply