to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2009, 01:00 PM
Closed Account
Man that is so cool!!! I picked up a metel lathe a couple years back, now your inspiring me to think about a mill. I guess though you need a CNC mill to run that software no?

You said it Alexander, it look beautiful!

Brent
Oct 02, 2009, 01:43 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you Brent, yes, it is a CNC Mill. I bought a Kit here in Germany. I was thinking to let someone cnc-mill the parts for my DC-6 but alone with the landung gear I have done three versions of the drag link. Also the wooden parts will be done quite easy and fast.

Best Alexander
Oct 02, 2009, 03:20 PM
Closed Account
Very nice. Is it made in Germany? No doubt if it is made in Germany it is the best.

My LGB trains are top notch.
Oct 04, 2009, 01:17 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Short update: I now finished the bungee rope and spring mechanism. Do I spend too much time for a landing gear you barely see in the plane ?

Here's a little video (with German titles but the video speaks for itself)

Best Alexander
Oct 04, 2009, 03:41 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Too much time?
It depends how much time you want to spend!
Personally I'm just hugely impressed with the whole assembly.

Not quite so impressed with the link to the video - all I got was an empty screen.

Can I ask what the whitish glue is at the top of the main leg?
(It's probably the only part I could actually do myself!)
Oct 04, 2009, 10:03 PM

wow

This site never stops amazing me.I can't belive the craftsmanship involved in some of the planes.I went from looking at the indoor electric 8 foot wingspan b17 to this landing gear that can only be described as museum quality.Great job,I only hope that I could produce something half as good.My hats off to you.
Oct 05, 2009, 01:45 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you all for your great comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings
Not quite so impressed with the link to the video - all I got was an empty screen.
Sorry. I just prepared a video with MS Movie Maker. I now uploaded the two videos as they came out of my digital camera:

Function of the Draglink (16MB)

Deploying and retracting the main landing gear (20MB)

Sorry, this is all I can offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings
Can I ask what the whitish glue is at the top of the main leg?
(It's probably the only part I could actually do myself!)
This is indeed epoxy glue. I added this to smoothe this a little to make it look more like the original casting structure. After painting it will look OK. In the picture you see it how it look like after hard soldering.

Best Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Oct 05, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Oct 05, 2009, 01:40 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
I managed a further milestone: for testing purposes I attached a winch (GWS IQ-710) and prepared a rope and tube to test retracting and deploying the landing gear. It works perfect. My only concern is that I might have trouble retracting both landing gears with one winch.

Here's a video again: DC-6 Landing gear tast with winch

The video is in WMV Windows format. If you're interested and you cannot see the vid please notify me.

Also two pictures of the test rig.

Best Alexander
Oct 05, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB
I managed a further milestone: for testing purposes I attached a winch (GWS IQ-710) and prepared a rope and tube to test retracting and deploying the landing gear. It works perfect. My only concern is that I might have trouble retracting both landing gears with one winch.

Here's a video again: DC-6 Landing gear tast with winch

The video is in WMV Windows format. If you're interested and you cannot see the vid please notify me.

Also two pictures of the test rig.

Best Alexander
Just a thought, if you have problems with the winch working, a long stroke air cylinder set to move real slow would give you tons of pulling force, and would pull no load on the battery, except the servo opening/closing the air valve.

DAG
Oct 05, 2009, 04:14 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Dag, thank you. I have no experience with pneumatic so far. I'm also afraid that it'll weight too much. A winch seems so much easier. If it doesnt pull up both landing gears it's easy to install a winch for each side. 50g per side seems to be OK.

The air cylinder has to move 3.5 inches. But I take a deeper look.

Best Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Oct 05, 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Oct 05, 2009, 08:31 PM
Closed Account
Hey that looks great Alexander. I even like the sound too. Very nice work.
Oct 07, 2009, 07:01 AM
Very impressive retracts, Alexander. We all appreciate that you go all the way with these gears. It´s great to watch how you tackle this. Keep up the good work.

I bet you´ve sat and watched the retracts going up and down at least a hundred times I know, I would have...

- Michael Hammer
Oct 07, 2009, 07:42 AM
fmw
fmw
Alexander, you are a first class craftsman.
Oct 07, 2009, 03:59 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Thank you all for your encouragement and your nice comments! But look at dag's amazing B-36D project. This is very, very inspireing for me.

@Dag: I just got a new sailboat winch from Graupner (Regatte eco) which weights 70g and makes up to 8 turns. I tested it and it pulls up my 2kg vise with ease. Problem solved. I need less than 1.5 kg.

Next will be modelling of the lower part of the nancell to check how the gear doors work.

Best Alexander

Quick Reply