Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 02, 2016, 07:43 AM
Any recent updates?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2017, 02:48 AM
That's a 'no' then?
Jul 15, 2017, 02:04 PM
Scratch Builder
I visited a the Airliner Meeting Oppingen, Germany last Weekend. And I though "What a shame!"

So I decided, not to buy any new plane nor build on any plane before the Six isn't flying. Let's see.

A year ago I bough a Silhouette Cutting Plotter and in the meantime I drew all major parts of the livery:

BRITISH EAGLE, G-APSA, and the ROYAL MAIL Logo

I was curious to see of the 1.5mm dots work out. I tested on a material I already had and not the final one.

Looks already pretty well. This is the smallest font size I have.

Cheers Alexander
Jul 15, 2017, 02:22 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Alexander,

The livery looks great.
I think you made the right decision in choosing to finish your DC 6 it looks great.

Robert
Jul 15, 2017, 03:49 PM
Your DC-6 is awesome!!! Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Jul 15, 2017, 04:10 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Good to see you back for the final straight Alexander.
The completion of the paintwork will bring such a transformation to the model - and you'll reap the satisfaction of having your very own designed and built model to fly.

Do you have a particular fly-in in mind to provide a target completion date?

Robin
Jul 15, 2017, 04:44 PM
Welcome back Alexander - we've missed your regular build updates !
Jul 15, 2017, 05:18 PM
cessna_aerobat
Hi Alexander, I too visited Airliner Treffen at Oppingen last weekend, what a great show it was. Your Model would have looked great amongst the other on the flight line!
Chris
Jul 16, 2017, 08:58 AM
Scratch Builder
Thanks for your kind comments.

Robin, I will not name any date. I will move forward in the little time available and see how it goes.

@Chris, among the huge planes I saw there It'll have looked probably a bit lost. 100" is comparably small to what I saw.

Today I did one thing that really intimidated me: the Royal Mail Logo. Yesterday I presented a very first impression.

Today I was able to finish this piece.

The first attempt in Gold revealed a few issues I ran into. It's just too delicate. I needed to simply it a bit and also stretch some distances in order to get it work.

The third step eventually brought the results I was aiming at. BTW I use a CAMEO 2 Cutting Plotter. It's inexpensive but it seems quite right for my task.

In order to get the tiny remains out of the A and O I used my reading glasses with a watchmakers loupe.

After I was satisfied with the Gold I moved on to white. I use Oracover Designfilm Sheet. Although plotting went well, I had severe problems taking the letters off with the transfer foil. It turned out that they didn't lift because it seems I cut too deep. I will have to make some more tests.

The second attempt with a different foil, ORACAL, worked out. This time I didn't place the foil precisely on the cutting mat. The top stripes that I use to align the two colors were cut. That didn't provide a problem.

The alignment with the stripes in gold and white went well. No issues here.

It is not perfect, though, but it seems well enough. I may plot a second one and fiddle around with the settings. BTW the dots over the crown have a diameter of merely 1.7mm (approx. 1/16")

Cheers Alexander
Jul 16, 2017, 11:17 AM
It's probably your determination to achieve such accuracy that has kept us all glued to this thread throughout your build process Alexander.
Most impressive!

Robin
Jul 16, 2017, 11:40 AM
Scratch Builder
Thank you Robin,

I just had to smile, because you're also right in a double meaning. Without this almost pathological accurateness she would already fly among many more planes I might would have built in the meantime ;-)

Cheers Alexander
Jul 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
Scratch Builder
BTW I redid the entire thing. Looks much better now. However, you cannot tell the difference from the photo ;-)

That IS pathological

Cheers Alexander
Jul 17, 2017, 01:45 PM
Scratch Builder
Had a day off so I worked a bit on the Six.

One thing I was wondering if I do it at all are the emergency exits. The first picture (thanks to Dietmar Schreiber, who sent me a buch of high res pics) shows that the emergency exits are barely visible.

I plotted a design with merely 0.5mm line thickness. However, it is still omnipresent.

I need some advice here. Should I

1) keep it as shown
2) Plot the lines in a darker red
3) Plot the lines in light grey
4) Leave them away anyway.

Thank you for your reply.

You can see also from the pictures that the method of using thick lines to align the windows to the read 46mm high band works excellent. Much better than expected. I can plot three windows in a row which are easy to align.

Cheers
Alexander
Jul 18, 2017, 02:19 AM
Alexander, it I was doing this the emergency doors, if I did anything at all, would use a readily available black ink drawing pen and be done (very inaccurately) by hand 'to look about right'.

The real question is what do we think YOU would do about it.

My estimation is that you will recognise that the door lines are representing a joint between panels painted in the red. Any shadow in the narrow joints will therefore be neither grey nor black but be shadow on top of red, i.e. a darker red. The next question would be 'how much darker should the red be?' but this will depend on the lighting at the time and vary quite widely so I guess you will choose a depth of red for the door outlines that is just noticeable to any observer.
The drawback that whatever depth you choose is going to be wrong in extremes of light level will, I hope, not lead you into further angst about whether you should be simulating the doors by cutting them out and gluing them back in to get a real break in the surface in which shadows can play as they will in the full size!

So I'm guessing you would be happiest with option 2... am I right?

Robin
Jul 18, 2017, 02:38 AM
Scratch Builder
Robin,

Thank you for your comment! You seem to know me quite well. We need to meet one day.

I already ordered a next darker red. Not too many colors available to choose from.

And yes. The observer might not notice that at all. But I will notice and know!

However, I am not that crazy to cut the panels. Make them even work... or let's see... if I ... NO NO NO

Nor would I dare to outline them with a pen. I have to admit that I already had trouble applying the white Oracover in the aft section without wrinkles. There are quite a few wrinkles that weren't avoidable. On the other hand, the full scale plane has so many wrinkles that its almost scale.

Let's wait until the red foil arrives and see how the results will look like.

Cheers Alexander