Sep 08, 2019, 09:35 PM
I found your thread tonight after an extensive search for a scale DC-6. I'm very impressed and wondering when you will be continuing this fantastic build thread.
Last edited by fastruchard; Oct 14, 2019 at 08:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2019, 09:02 AM
Hello Alexander I'm fascinated with your detailed DC-6 build and would appreciate you letting me know when you plan to continue and further wonder if you could consider releasing plans on down the road. Well in closing your project is most certainly the most detailed I have seen. Best regards Richard
Last edited by fastruchard; Oct 14, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Aug 20, 2021, 04:11 AM
Two years on - any updates Alexander?
Has it flown yet?!
Aug 20, 2021, 10:38 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH106
Two years on - any updates Alexander?
Has it flown yet?!
Well, a lot has changed since my last posts. We moved to Bavaria because I got a job offering as a CIO for a well known keyboard manufacturer. However this did not turn out too well. Expectations were too high and I luckily got contacted by a large US based Research and Advisory firm. After almost more interviews that I can count they eventually hired me as an analyst for IT for midsize organizations.

After a year in my wife and I decided to move back to northern Germany to be closer to her family again. I need to work a lot.

However, I developed significant skills in 3D design with Fusion 360. I added more 3D printers to my collection and that will give me a lot of opportunities to move on. I hopefully will be able to work on the DC-6 again. It's 'just' the mid-wing section with the four motors that needs to be completed. One of the difficult parts are the air intakes on top of each nacelle and the oil coolers below. With my new 3D printing skills I hope that I can move on. I even have a small vacuum forming machine. The idea is to 3D print the forms and make the finals parts with the vacuum forming machine to get it as lightweight as possible.

So, unfortunately the DC-6 did not fly yet. I certainly would have shared that with you. My professional life was more important at that stage. I am grateful that with 55 years of age I was still able to pivot my career yet again. I am absolutely happy with the new role which gives me some more inner freedom. I hope this makes sense to anyone.

Thank you for asking. The model survived two relocations and is still in a good shape.

Cheers Alexander
Aug 20, 2021, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the update Alexander - sounds like you've had a hectic couple of years!
I do hope you manage to find time for this wonderful project - the DC-6 - after all the time and effort you've put into it.
All the best.
Aug 20, 2021, 05:55 PM
It would be great to see a real 'Scratch Builder' back at work again Alexander come on lets see some action on this forum again!
Aug 21, 2021, 03:39 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to see some of your future work on RcGroups...

All the best,

Bart
Aug 21, 2021, 08:45 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Nice to hear the update and that you are well Alexander.
'Inner freedom' sounds interesting!

vest wishes,
Robin
Aug 23, 2021, 11:59 AM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings
Nice to hear the update and that you are well Alexander.
'Inner freedom' sounds interesting!
Yes, inner freedom opposed to outer freedom which is pretty much lacking in these days in Germany.

Cheers Alexander
Aug 24, 2021, 08:50 AM
That sound worryingly similar to the situation in UK Alexander.

The 'thought police' are active too.
I can't even play bass guitar in church now, since realising the church has been peddling wrong teaching for centuries. If you can't even speak truth in church I think that a good indication that 'free speech' is dead.

Robin
Aug 24, 2021, 12:23 PM
Scratch Builder
Thread OP
Robin,

Yes, free speech is dead. The thought police is lurking around the corner everywhere. I decided to live with that. I am not a fighter. The young people should, though. It's them who are affected most. But they are howling with the wolves. Even our kids are not willing to open their eyes. But so be it.

We recently revisited the original Version of "The Wave". A 45 min short film that perfectly shows that most people eventually will support a more or less totalitarian system. We can now observe these things happening in your direct surroundings and just cannot believe it.

I will hopefully finish my monster project DC-6. I cannot change what's happening.

So, to the DC-6. Why isn't it finished yet? The answer is: I was not able to simplify and got taken away by way too many details.

Alexander
Aug 24, 2021, 12:52 PM
Edit: Not worth to give it a try...
Last edited by Balsastaub; Aug 24, 2021 at 01:04 PM.
Sep 02, 2021, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB
Robin,

So, to the DC-6. Why isn't it finished yet? The answer is: I was not able to simplify and got taken away by way too many details.

Alexander
Shame about the DC-6. Sounds like you are stuck between finishing to the high standard and being too scared to fly it - or fly it like it is and finish it off later.
Mind you I've got a few unfinished projects myself.

Robin
Sep 07, 2021, 03:23 PM
Alexander over the past several years I have been following your 100" Douglas DC-6 build with great interest and was saddened to read there have been some issues holding back your highly technical Douglas build. As I think you are aware, I went ahead and built a second Pat Tritle designed DC-6B from special scaled up plans, and going with all sheeted and planked airframe. Here are a couple pictures. In closing I Very much hope you will in a very short time from now post progress of YOUR wonderful Douglas transport.
Jan 05, 2024, 02:39 AM

Attention: Alexander B

Hello Alexander. I hope this reaches you and finds you in good spirits. I was again rese Douglas DC-6/7 and happened upon your thread. Hopefully all is well with you and yours. Best Regards,Richard A McFarland

Quick Reply