Sep 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Laddie Mikulasko's Shearwater

Hi All: It's one of those planes that you can't watch fly enough, Laddie's Shearwater. I was at the Midwest Regional Float Fy earlier this month and got a chance to see it fly and talk with Laddie. Enjoy.

Laddie Mikulasko's Shearwater (3 min 3 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2009, 08:32 PM
Saw the construction article in Flying Models. It's on my list. Thanks for the video!!!
Sep 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
Paul cross link this with the shearwater thread in waterplanes please.... Nice to see it in action.
Sep 22, 2009, 05:10 PM
Paul, thank you for posting your video of the Shearwater. I am really pleased with your camera work. Thank you again.
Laddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDaniel
Hi All: It's one of those planes that you can't watch fly enough, Laddie's Shearwater. I was at the Midwest Regional Float Fy earlier this month and got a chance to see it fly and talk with Laddie. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9hCakUYF_k
Sep 24, 2009, 06:24 PM
I ordered the plans from Flying Models a few days ago. I contacted Dan at lasers@centurytel.net and he's agreed to look them over and quote a price to do a short kit. Everyone intrested should PM me so we can get an idea of how many he would be cutting.
Sep 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
Thread OP

Shearwater

Thanks for your comments Laddie. I just love seeing that plane in the air. Thinking about making a smaller one out of Depron.

I'll link it in the Seaplane section.

Paul
Sep 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
Good man............ cheers.
Sep 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
Plane has a "just right" look with pusher prop and V tail. Congrats Laddie, on another beautiful design.
Feb 06, 2014, 04:32 PM
After re-kitting my electric Great Planes Seawind last summer (which followed 3 years of tweaking to try to make the plane controllable on the water), I ordered the plans for Laddie’s beautiful Shearwater from Flying Models magazine. I also found some old posts that were discussing the non-availability of a short kit. There was an e-mail address of a potential supplier who was willing to quote the kit, but no one ever sent him the plans so he could do it. So…………I did. I just got my short kit from Dan Walton and he did a beautiful job with it. All parts on the plans, including parts for a balsa built up wing and templates for foam cores are included. I’ve attached a picture FYI.

If you are interested in one, you can contact Dan at lasers@centurytel.net
Mar 06, 2017, 12:02 AM

Progress on my Shearwater

Things are progressing nicely on my Shearwater. Laddie's Flying Models Magazine build article has been helping a lot. I also wrote to Laddie with a few questions which he was very gracious to answer. This build is very satisfying, but not for a beginner. The upper fuselage planking took 260 pieces of planking, each one custom cut and glued in place one at a time. I've attached some photos.
Mar 10, 2017, 10:41 AM
Beautiful work!
Mar 10, 2017, 11:37 AM
Pro Hoarder
Very Cool!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 12, 2017, 06:24 AM
Turdoe Must Go!
Impressive!
May 02, 2017, 08:53 PM

Shearwater Progress

Ready to start glassing and finishing. This has been a challenging but rewarding build. Here are a few pics of the finish framed up plane, ready to fill, sand, fill, sand, ....(you get the picture), glass, and finish.

Quick Reply