Nov 13, 2009, 10:37 PM

EVO upgrade

I had my EVO upgraded by Hitec a while ago and finally got around to installing the ExtremeLink transmitter module this evening. The module did not work. However, after installing a jumper from pin 2 to pin 5 in the connector. Everything works fine now.
Fred
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
AMA # L576
Is there any news on making the XPS module work with the new firmware? I think it is up to 3.41 now? Or was that 3.31. I will buy the XPS module if it works with the latest firmware for multiplex royal evo.
Jun 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
People that have upgraded to the newer firmware were using the PPM signal from the trainer port instead of the module port. I don't know if the very latest EVO firmware re-enables the module's port to have PPM or not.
Jun 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
Some folks have done work to make an intermediate board that makes the Evo think it has an M-Link or other compatible RF deck, and then converts that to PPM. The bottom line is that what is needed is known and documented, so XPS should really consider incorporating these features into the Evo RF modules natively. Using the trainer port for an internal plug-in module is nothing more than a crude hack . . . . Not to mention, if XPS did that, they would be on a short list of *ONE* 3rd party vendor that supported 3.x firmware correctly . . . hard to not get more sales that way!

- Tim
Jun 15, 2011, 09:42 AM
AMA # L576
I am not going to dis-assemble my Evo to solder wires onto the trainer port to hook up your module. You need to make it work so I can just plug it in. I guess I will wait some more.
Jun 15, 2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson
Some folks have done work to make an intermediate board that makes the Evo think it has an M-Link or other compatible RF deck, and then converts that to PPM. The bottom line is that what is needed is known and documented, so XPS should really consider incorporating these features into the Evo RF modules natively. Using the trainer port for an internal plug-in module is nothing more than a crude hack . . . . Not to mention, if XPS did that, they would be on a short list of *ONE* 3rd party vendor that supported 3.x firmware correctly . . . hard to not get more sales that way!

- Tim
Unless something has changed, what is required would require completely new XtremeLink hardware for the EVO. What is "documented', and where is this info? Maybe something did change.
Jun 15, 2011, 11:37 AM
I just re-checked the EVO info and the M-Link and MHz module emulation requires 3 control lines, 2 Tx/Rx and 1 RF enable. I don't see a way to do this with just two lines that we have available.
Jun 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
Let me see if I can dig up what this guy did . . . it was a card that looked like M-Link to the radio, but which output PPM for 3rd party modules. I think all it did was to provide a correct handshake on the bi-directional data pin from the radio, but will check and be sure . . .

- Tim
Jun 15, 2011, 04:13 PM
I saw the card that Yannick did. The M-Link and other module support uses 3 lines. We only have two lines available on our module. So, there is no way that I can think of (currently) to turn 2 lines into 3 without some new hardware.
Jun 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
Not sure what the sales volume is on your Multiplex stuff, but that would definitely be the right way to do it . . . and put you clearly ahead of all others.

- Tim
Jun 16, 2011, 03:43 PM
Learned something new today! Our top mount adapter, designed for JR/Futaba cases works PEFECTLY with the EVO setup. The only problem is that you must snap the pigtail connector on to our board. Since these connectors have an insertion/removal life span of just 3 cycles before needing to be discarded, you would have to pay attention and snap on right the first time.

For the EVO you would need our top mount adapter and long pigtail.

We only sold a few thousands EVO and Profi upgrades, so its not a very big market compared to the other brands of radios that we support. I am still looking into this. It appears that the enable line is only needed during the initialization, so it might be possible to make an adapter that plugs between our board and the EVO connector to emulate the enable line based on the condition of the other two lines.
Last edited by JimDrew; Jun 16, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Jun 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
AMA # L576
This is sounding good. looking forward to some more good news.
Jun 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
Well, I committed to the project today. My personal EVO is now v3.41 and our module no longer works!
Jun 17, 2011, 09:33 AM
AMA # L576
Talk about motivation. While you can downgrade to a lower firmware, I hope you get this figured out. It appears that some Evo's on firmware 2.62 have a current drain when off problem that is fixed by updating to firmware 3.xx. Mine is one of them.
Jun 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I discovered that mine was one of them as well.

Quick Reply