workshop for scratch building - RC Groups
Sep 20, 2009, 11:24 PM
Discussion

workshop for scratch building

I am building out my workshop and I am curious what the experienced scratch builders use in the way of tools, configuration, lighting, etc..

1. When building from a plan, what tools do you use to cut out pieces? (ex. Router, band saw, exacto, etc.)

2. What dimensions for a work bench do you find work best when building out an 80''+ wingspan model? What do you use for a surface (ceiling tile, carpet, etc.)?

3. What other essential tools do you recommend for scratch building?

4. Could you post pictures of your workshop? I'm interested in seeing different configurations.

Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy04
1. When building from a plan, what tools do you use to cut out pieces? (ex. Router, band saw, exacto, etc.)
All of the above.

I recommend a combination belt/disc sander and a strong shop vac. More tools depend on your budget and how easy you want to make things on yourself.
Quote:
2. What dimensions for a work bench do you find work best when building out an 80''+ wingspan model? What do you use for a surface (ceiling tile, carpet, etc.)?
I have a 46" X 72" hardwood top woodworking bench. I also have a 36" X 76" metal top magnetic building bench in the works. I concentrate more on work bench length because fuselage length becomes the larger size limitation over wingspan due to multiple-sectioned wings.

As far as lighting, I have three 8' double-tubed fluorescent fixtures in my three-car garage-sized workshop. More than enough so far.
Quote:
3. What other essential tools do you recommend for scratch building?
Again, it's all about budget. If I were spending your money, I'd put it in dust collection at your tools and shop. I did, and it makes for less dust and easier breathing ...

EJWash
Sep 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
You can build on no matter what size you have. Just have to think a bit while doing it.

My cousin works in an area tucked away in a corner of his laundry room, no bigger than a 6 x 5 area. He builds quite a few larger planes.

I have 24 x 30 heated shop that I use for mine, and I find I still run out of room somedays!

LOL,....................
Sep 21, 2009, 08:25 PM
Xanadu, I bet your wife likes your flight box on top of the freezer! I actually moved the freezer from my build area into her office so she would stop complaining about things being put on top. You know what, she puts stuff on top of it now. But at least now I don't hear about it.

- Jeff
Sep 21, 2009, 08:39 PM
AMA 3959
I only have a little one car garage and need to use a lot of wall space for storage. Work in progress, but aren't they all. but I do have a seperate laundry room.
Al
Sep 21, 2009, 08:43 PM
I notice that I use my bandsaw almost every day. Plus the drill press.

A 12" disc sander and a belt sander is really nice to have as well.

A dust collector would be nice--