This thread is privately moderated by Prof100, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Rules for determining plane dimensions

SAVE this post regarding rules of thumb for plane dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
On the note of EZ Glider wings on the EZ*. There's been much talk of turning problems, ineffective rudder, needing lots of coordinated rudder, etc. Many years ago (1998 to be exact) I developed a R/C Design calculator using Excel. It's rather crude by today's standards, but proved very useful to several folks as I've found it on websites from the U.S. to Russia. Anyway...in the research I did to develop the spreadsheet I found some 'average' rules of wing vs fuse vs empenage size comparisons. In short, for the plane's wing the following are the 'average' sizes of the other components:
Horizontal Stab: 20%-25% of the wing area
Elevator: 20%-25% of the horizontal stab chord
Vertical Stab: 7%-12% of the wing area
Rudder: 30%-50% of the vertical stab chord
Fuse Length: 70% of wing span (measured from nost/thrust washer to rudder hinge line).

By putting the EZ Glider wing on the EZ* you've 'messed' up the 'average' design parameters, thus have to make necessary adjustments...as most have reported...a larger vertical stab and rudder.

edit:
A ZIP file of my calculator is attached for those who are curious. Some of the pictures might looked goofed up in some versions of Excel, but the formulas should work correctly.

Excellent. You answered my question regarding how long to make the fuselage.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Thanks this is really helping my scratch build .
May 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane
Thanks this is really helping my scratch build .
Great. Let's see some pictures.
May 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
You ok with me posting them here if not here the link to my build https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1638287
May 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
You ok with me posting them here
Sure
May 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
There's quite a few so here's the link to my build instead https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1638287

Also here's a question my plane wingspan is 1.6m so what should the lengths be for my rudder and elevator ?? All this area stuff is confusing me
May 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
There's quite a few so here's the link to my build instead https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1638287

Also here's a question my plane wingspan is 1.6m so what should the lengths be for my rudder and elevator ?? All this area stuff is confusing me
Assuming you know the differenece between the horizontal and vertical component it's in the first post:

Horizontal Stab: 20%-25% of the wing area
Elevator: 20%-25% of the horizontal stab chord
Vertical Stab: 7%-12% of the wing area
Rudder: 30%-50% of the vertical stab chord
May 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
Sorry about that asking someone else to do my own work . Don't worry thanks for the help again I'll just have to figure it out ? You should check out my build

Thanks again
May 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry about that asking someone else to do my own work . Don't worry thanks for the help again I'll just have to figure it out ? You should check out my build

Thanks again
I did check out your build. You are very good at it and will do well. Make sure you fly with a Simulator first. Googe FMS and buy a $20 4 channel controller. FMS is free. Practice flying until you don't crash.
May 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the help mate your a real helpful person , what do transmitter do you think I should get I'm not quite sure whether I should get a really cheap transmitter that I've never heard of before but seems good or splash the cash that I don't have on a really expensive transmitter
May 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the help mate your a real helpful person , what do transmitter do you think I should get I'm not quite sure whether I should get a really cheap transmitter that I've never heard of before but seems good or splash the cash that I don't have on a really expensive transmitter
I use Spektrum radios but they are pricey. Many people rave about $60 ghz radios you can buy from Hobbyking. They are reported as reliable and receivers are very inexpensive.
May 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've looked at spektrum before and the brand was at the top of my list. I suppose if I want to get into rc the proper way I might as well splash the cash
May 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've looked at spektrum before and the brand was at the top of my list. I suppose if I want to get into rc the proper way I might as well splash the cash
It all depends on your budget.
May 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
I have about 50 or in dollars $ 80 for a transmitter and a receiver. For the servos I have about 5 for each.
May 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I have about 50 or in dollars $ 80 for a transmitter and a receiver. For the servos I have about 5 for each.
Your budget is ideal for Turnigy 9x. Servos you can use are HXT900 or better.

Go the radio forum and ask questions there. I have no other knowledge other than favorable reports by fellow RCgroup member regardin that radio.

Quick Reply