A Little Bit of History - RC Groups
Sep 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
Just Fly it
Discussion

A Little Bit of History

The Mofo was one of the planes of DS history, and its still alive, and possibly available.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1112738

I just spoke with Todd Larson, who is the present owner of this plane. It was flown by Craig Toutelman to 202mph way back in 5-24-03 up by Fremont, Nor Cal. It was also owned by Tim Bigley for a while. Its one of a kind, and was a World Record Holder for a while.
This plane is apparantly so far ahead of its time. Built for extreme strength. At a time when planes just werent holding together. Wow, I hope we get to see some more pictures. There is one of Craig Toutelman holding the plane on the sell site.

john
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???

Thanks for the lesson

John,

I'm glad that you posted this "history lesson". I was the post in the for sale section and didn't want to be the village idiot asking what the heck this plane was/is.

For those of us who are relatively new to the hobby, it's nice to have some of the seemingly simple stuff clarified.

Thanks,
Jim
Sep 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
ReeseProductions.com

Mofo Specs

Just thought I'd share a little more about this bad ass DS model.

The Mofo is a sailplane that Craig Toutolmin scratch built specifically for breaking the 200mph DS barrier. On May 24, 2003 at a slope near Benecia, CA, known as the Slot, Craig raised the DS record from 186 mph to 202.2 mph and in doing so he was the first pilot to officially break the 200mph barrier. Here's some of the specs for those interested.

Model: Mofo
AUW: 15 lbs.
Wing: Quad taper with a double spar. Center panel MH24, tips S2055. Ailerons are kevlar hinged and taper out to near zero. Wing Tips are mass balanced on the quarter chord with 20oz of lead installed along the leading edge.
Fuse: Made using the lost foam method without removing the foam from the boom area. The boom also has a built in spar.
Tail: Solid basswood sandwiched with 5oz of carbon on a bias. The elevator is also hinged with kevlar and spit into two halves with one servo running each surface similar to a v-tail set up.

If I had to guess I would say that, In the right hands, this model is capable of well over 300mph.

Now for a shamaless plug. Craig's record breaking DS flight along with many other DS record flights are showcased in the DVD, Lift Ticket the Director's Cut. Which is available at ReeseProductions.com Sorry, couldn't help myself

dave
Sep 21, 2009, 08:02 PM
tsx04
Hi Gang...I posted some pics of the MOFO for anyone who is interested!
Cheers!
Todd
Sep 22, 2009, 08:49 PM
tsx04
There has been a tremendous amount of interest for this great ship.....like to work out a solid deal wether a "decent" trade or some $$$$. Would love to find a home for it where it will get flown and truly appreciate it....I have mentioned to some of the DS guys that it may not be a bad idea if a few chip in and share this great plane....I think Weldon is where it needs to be.....don't be shy guys, I am not a penny pincher and am willing to wheel and deal....BUT I am not giving it away! It's a collectors item at the very least! PM me if you wanna make an offer!
Oct 01, 2009, 05:27 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Talking of DS history it would be interesting to see a timeline of world record breaking speeds to see how far we have come over what time frame with what plane and of course who...

Edit...i found the list!!
http://www.rcspeeds.com/pastrecords.aspx
Last edited by swoop119; Oct 01, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Oct 01, 2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks Swoop

Just added Joes 372 WR with the Dynaimc-160M

c
Last edited by daboz; Oct 01, 2009 at 11:52 PM.