Sep 23, 2009, 10:45 PM
Oh I see it now. My eyes were tricking me and it looked like the hatch was somehow inside. Thanks,
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2009, 11:42 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Pretty neat build.

You realize it's a VERY short hop from that to a full body

Nuthin wrong with it the way it is - just sayin
Sep 24, 2009, 02:30 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I believe that the hatch is hinged on one end, and then the "dark spots" I think are rare earth magnets to hold it closed.

Pat
That is exactly right. The hatch is pretty much left up to the builder's preference as far as design and location is concerned.
Sep 24, 2009, 02:37 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog
Pretty neat build.

You realize it's a VERY short hop from that to a full body

Nuthin wrong with it the way it is - just sayin
Thanks Hepdog, you are right, but I think this design is a nice balance between looks, simplicity and excellent flying characteristics. (If I say so myself )
Sep 24, 2009, 03:49 PM
Foam abuser!
I agree. Full body is nice, but much more work. This is a simple 2 hour build and looks great in the air. You can hardly tell it's a profile plane because of the somewhat built up intakes/wings.

Pat
Sep 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
Can you explain more on battery location - from the pic it would seem that it is placed slightly out on the right wing.

Paul
Sep 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
I have a slightly related question: What size pushrods and servos? Thanks.
Sep 25, 2009, 02:35 PM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaman
Can you explain more on battery location - from the pic it would seem that it is placed slightly out on the right wing.

Paul
The battery is is not shown in the pictures, but it sits on velcro on the centreline.
Sep 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher
I have a slightly related question: What size pushrods and servos? Thanks.
I used 9g Towerpro servos and 1.2mm pianowire pushrods.

Check out Pat thread for many more tips: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1052464
Sep 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Love it. Looks like a nice plane. Pat I'm pretty busy right now but maybe you can build one so I can fly it.

Jim
Sep 25, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks.

Any chance you can update plans with Cg and battery placement and type.

Paul
Sep 26, 2009, 02:11 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaman
Thanks.

Any chance you can update plans with Cg and battery placement and type.

Paul
You're welcome Paul.

The CG is shown in one of the pictures in the first post.

I think most people are using a 3S lipo of 1500 to 2200 mah and about 20C with this motor. I put my battery on some velcro on the bottom of the electronics bay and on the centreline of the plane. The longitudinal position must be adjusted to set the plane’s CG. If you plan to pull lots of negative g, you might want to strap it down.

Marcel
Sep 26, 2009, 09:49 AM
boerie roll
Thread OP
Here is my finished Draken with paint and markings.

The flying weight with a 2200mah battery has grown to 503g / 17.75oz.
Last edited by vleisie; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 AM
Crash & Burn
Oh, that looks very slick with those markings. Makes me want to get my butt in gear and start cutting some foam.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
I couldn't sleep last night so I put the Drakken in Cad and laser cut it out this AM. I cut one for me and one for Pat. Not sure when I can get going on mine but if you want to tackle one Pat it here ready for you.

Jim

Quick Reply