Dec 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Norm,

I'd like to fly some DLG on New Year's day, but have to work around family activities. I'll PM you on Monday. The guys up north are having a TD postal contest the same day, but I don't do TD.

Sounds good
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2013, 12:28 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm51
Sounds good
Norm and I will be flying at the "Dirt Bowl" (by the Water Tanks) around 2 pm. Me thinks the Chandler Bowl is going to be too crowded.

Jan 01, 2013, 12:35 PM
Where is the lift?
If all goes well I will be there (dirt field) around 11:30 to try for an endurance flight. Conditions are definitely not the best so it may be a couple short flights off the high start and a lot of hanger talk. I'll see if I can fit a DLG in the car. ;-)

Charlie
Jan 02, 2013, 12:34 AM
Where is the lift?
I got to the dirt field about an hour later than planned. There was no one there and the wind was very light. I got everything set up and launched the Oly III at approximately 1:05pm using an old high start that needed the rubber replaced a few years ago. Launch height was pretty close to 100 feet. I coasted out to the West and to my surprise I flew into a weak thermal that allowed me to slowly climb up and away from an imminent landing. The lift was not strong but it was still pretty good and I was well over 1000 feet for the first 45 minutes. I started eating a sandwich with one hand while thermalling with the other. Shortly after I starting eating, I thought wow, the sink is getting pretty bad. I flew away from the area at a pretty good speed and a pretty high sink rate. A couple bites of sandwich later I began to realize that if this sink persisted much longer I was going to be landing very soon. I tossed the sandwich back into the bag and when I put my second hand back on the transmitter I suddenly realized what was going on. I had somehow bumped the spoiler stick and they were half deployed! . I put the spoiler stick back were it should have been and luckily found a thermal as I was descending back down to my original launch hight of around 100 feet. Shew! Too close for comfort. I was back up over 1000 feet again when Charles showed up and then a few minutes later Norm and Tim pulled up. Tim had a servo stop working so he hung out and helped me during the rest of my flight while Norm and Charles practiced with their DLG's. about 10 minutes before I landed a light breeze picked up out of the West Southwest and brought in some cooler air. Within a few minutes I had to put on my insulated coveralls as I was starting to freeze. I was pretty far downwind and as I came up wind it became apparent that the conditions had changed for the worse. I got several indications of weak lift but nothing that would hold me up so after 1 hour and 37 minutes the Oly III slid to a stop on the rough ground that defines the dirt field. I was really hoping for at least another hour but as it turns out, my time was enough to win the New Years woody postal contest, barely beating out Joe Wydronek who was flying over in Surprise, AZ. It was a really fun time. Thank you Tim for your help!

Charlie
Last edited by cptsnoopy; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Jan 02, 2013, 12:37 AM
Way to go Charlie :-)

Gary
Jan 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO
Way to go Charlie :-)

Gary
Thank you Gary. I put the FrSky module in the Evo and used it for this flight with the Oly III. It was cool knowing I would get a warning if the signal started getting iffy. Now that I've tested it i'll get the rudder glued on Tom's plane and give it some air time. I hope you had a fun time over the holidays.

Charlie
Jan 02, 2013, 08:19 AM
Charles Martin

Postal Tuesday

Charlie,

that was indeed a good afternoon. Thermals were much better than I would have expected. Nice to see Norm fly again, and hopefully he and we can make some time this weekend. Bummer with Tim's servo, but hopefully it won't be a difficult fix.

That 3.2m Oly flies beautifully! All it needs are flaperons and a launch blade. Just don't try tip catches.

Cheers, Charles

Jan 02, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mark does the Supra without a blade. :0

Gary
Jan 02, 2013, 04:41 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Way to go, Charlie! I really wished I could've helped by actually FLYING to find lift for you, but it is what it is.
Jan 02, 2013, 09:48 PM
way to go Charlie. I don't feel so bad now. Inside joke.
Jan 03, 2013, 12:50 AM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm51
way to go Charlie. I don't feel so bad now. Inside joke.

It's all good Norm!

Charlie
Jan 03, 2013, 09:56 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
Please check the Utah DLG happenigns and voice your opinion on a March Fri/Sat Red Rocks Challenge
Jan 03, 2013, 10:48 AM
—T—
Anyone flying this weekend or sooner (I'm still on vacation)? This DLG noob would appreciate some pointers in the field.

I finally repaired the Topsky 1.0 Steve gave me and test flew it yesterday. I don't have this plane even close to fully tweaked given it needed a lot more work than I expected, but I can tell you I'm totally hooked! DLG is awesome!

The plane required a bit more work than I initially thought and still requires some tweaking to fly well. Im going to try shimming the rear of the wing today given the horizontal stabilizer appears to be off by approximately 3 degrees.

See you at the field.

-Randy
Jan 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm
Anyone flying this weekend or sooner (I'm still on vacation)? This DLG noob would appreciate some pointers in the field.

I finally repaired the Topsky 1.0 Steve gave me and test flew it yesterday. I don't have this plane even close to fully tweaked given it needed a lot more work than I expected, but I can tell you I'm totally hooked! DLG is awesome!

The plane required a bit more work than I initially thought and still requires some tweaking to fly well. Im going to try shimming the rear of the wing today given the horizontal stabilizer appears to be off by approximately 3 degrees.

See you at the field.

-Randy
I have to work Saturday until 1pm or so, but would like to fly DLG at the dirt adjacent to the water tanks (the old CASL field) afterwards. Hopefully others, i.e.Norm, Tim, Dana, and the usual suspects will join us.

Jan 03, 2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm

See you at the field.

-Randy
Not sure we have met yet Randy but hi. I also will be flying Saturday afternoon. about 2ish.

Norm

Quick Reply