Sep 17, 2009, 07:18 PM
Discussion

Study links 45,000 U.S. deaths to lack of insurance

I am sure all from the right have some farce that make this not true but I will post it anyway

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090917/...lthcare_deaths
Sep 17, 2009, 07:21 PM
St. Boondock

That's too bad because we don't turn anyone away at our emergency rooms for something as simple as a cold.
Sep 17, 2009, 07:59 PM
Restful User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL K
That's too bad because we don't turn anyone away at our emergency rooms for something as simple as a cold.
Let them eat cake...
Sep 17, 2009, 08:25 PM
Reduce the drama...
Medical care, like any other business is open to make money.
Doctors, nurses, shareholders invest time and money to make a profit.

If lack of health insurance is such an issue, there are cheaper ways to solve it.
I and my family is insured. We pay for the insurance. We are blue collar workers.
In the USA, everyone has the right to persue happiness.
No one has the right to a free new vehicle, free house, etc.
No one goes hungry here if they are laboring and trying.
How many times have we read news articles of foreign children with dibilitating conditions that are flown here, repaired, receive healing and therapy, and fly home, By PRIVATE DONATIONS?!
Sep 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
AustinTatious
You mean of the 300 MILLION people in the us... only 45,000 die as a DIRECT result of no insurance...

You know if we weren't funding left wing agenda organizations like acorn with our tax dollars, I bet we could all afford to donate to charities that would help that .01% of the population that died because they had no insurance.
Sep 17, 2009, 08:34 PM
Reduce the drama...
50,000 die every year from motor vehicle accidents,
another 50k die from AIDS related complications.
And who knows how many die from old age (cept for the folks counted above)!
AND, drumroll, H1N1 is coming to the school, work, supermarket, public transport, doorknob nearest you!
Sep 17, 2009, 09:35 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Good news.

That's the sort of statistic that might get more losers to ante up and buy insurance!

Unless we just hand it out for free, which I suppose is the solution most obvious to those who are more "compassionate" than I.

Seriously, I wonder how many lives are saved each year because of our excellent, top quality health care? Could it be possible that if we cripple business and individuals with enough taxes, statistically we may end up with more victims of poor health care?

How much blood will Obama and the democrats have on their hands if their "hand out" health care actually costs lives?

I doubt they will care, as long as they amass more control of what used to be a free country.

-Steve
Sep 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Let them eat cake...
That's probably why they are in poor health to begin with
Sep 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
So, anyone can get free ER care, but people die because of no insurance? That doesn't compute. A heck of a lot of people die because of stupidity. Overeating, liquor, drugs, speeding, anger, spending money on lottery tickets rather than an annual checkup.

Insurance is a risk management tool. It is not health care. Its not the boogieman.

We're all responsible for keeping our own bodies working as long as possible, or not.
Sep 17, 2009, 09:51 PM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
So, anyone can get free ER care, but people die because of no insurance? That doesn't compute. A heck of a lot of people die because of stupidity. Overeating, liquor, drugs, speeding, anger, spending money on lottery tickets rather than an annual checkup.

Insurance is a risk management tool. It is not health care. Its not the boogieman.

We're all responsible for keeping our own bodies working as long as possible, or not.
Welcome to a free country.
Sep 17, 2009, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
I am sure all from the right have some farce that make this not true but I will post it anyway

4 million people die from something in the US each and every year. So you are saying 1.1% of those deaths are from lack of insurance?

Nearly 600K die from cancer in each year in the US. We have cancer survival rates ~10% higher than Europe. If EU style health care came to the US, we'd expect to see the cancer death rate increase from 600,000 to ~660,000.

So, EU style health care will result in ~60K more people dying from cancer ALONE.

UK transplant rates are half of the rate in the US. The US does 24K transplants per year. If we took UK transplants numbers per thousand patients, and a transplant was needed to keep the person alive, then we'd see an extra 12K people die from lack of transplants.

So now we're at 72,000 extra deaths due to EU style of medicine. And this is just due to cancer and transplants.

Want to keep going?
Sep 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48

Last year, I got in with a doctor for a major exam, knowing I probably had diabetes. My initial visit cost me $75. They immediately put me on 3 meds All at Wallyworld for 4 bucks each. The tests where about $600 but I could have gone for just one for about $125. The follow up visit was $75 where I got put on two MORE meds, again 4 bucks each at Wallworld. My feeling is.......how much cheaper do we expect such service?? If I needed some sort of surgery, I would use my MSP. What I REALLY need is long term, elderly care insurance and castastrophic health coverage insurance which SHOULD be relatively cheap. I'm fine with what things are costing me now but if Obama wanted to do something useful, he should really thing about giving people what they need instead of providing half blanket coverage for everyone. Catastropic coverage availble to everyone as minimum.
Sep 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K

I am looking for my "farce" I cant find it. I suppose I'm from the right so I must have one. Is this post a joke.
Its not very funny.
Sep 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Let us look at the facts.
2009 US population is 305 million. 2.5 million people die each year.

According to Hussein original estimate 46 million people didn't have insurance.
So that means that .097826% of that population died. That is approximately 1/10 of 1%.

OK so if 46 million don't have insurance that means that 259 million people do and of that number approximately 2.455 million die which amounts to 1.197561% of that population.

So according to this most excellent report, if everyone didn't have health insurance we would only have approximately 300,000 people per year die.

Go figure. Figures don't lie but liars figure.

I know this probably isn't any more correct than the published information, but it sure is interesting.
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Sep 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
Suspended Account
....so here is the Farce,,

I found it!!! And guess what! It is the article you linked

Quote:
Nearly 45,000 people die in the United States each year -- one every 12 minutes -- in large part because they lack health insurance and can not get good care,
"In large part" ....in large part?,

What are some other "parts" to this formula??
Immigration doesn't know where they live. Assault weapons in grade schools??
Katrina?? The crips are doing drive by's in areas far away from the local hospitals??

Quote:
Researchers said American adults age 64 and younger who lack health insurance have a 40 percent higher risk of death than those who have coverage.
OK

Quote:
A similar study in 1993 found those without insurance had a 25 percent greater risk of death, according to the Harvard group.
So now it is more dangerous to not have insurance that it used to be.. what a pantload of statistical BS..

Kool-Aid on tap

drink up !!