Sep 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Mine took exactly 11 days between ordering and arriving. But it was well worth the wait when you open up that box and see that beautiful plane perfectly packaged!

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2009, 10:18 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Off to grab an F22 at TRU today. Hopefully they have one in 49mhz. After Ive secured a 49mhz F22 I'll order a 49mhz Ironman. Then I intend to master each one in order of difficulty.. This is a whole new experience for me because my past planes were just charged and flown. No expertise needed. I feel like a newb again but I could care less.

Next payday = camcorder. Can someone suggest a decent one for me? I wont be able to afford something with all the bells and whistles. Just good range for focusing and sound.

Thanks,

Dave
Sep 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
Saves 1, Kills 0, MIA 1
Folks:

A couple of ITC 'Hulk' tips:

Cut the landing gear in half just ahead of the wire clip (then carefully remove the plastic clip holder to save weight). Bend the wire on the front gear into a 'U' so it can be taped securely to the fuselage. I also used a little piece of pop can metal to re-enforce the front gear where it angles down by bending it into a triangle around the wire corner. Two way tape or glue it down. This will help prevent the front gear from getting pushed out of whack by those 'unorthodox' landing. Now tape the front gear down just behind the plastic nose cone. (which you should remove and replace with something stronger... more on that later). Tape the rear landing gear about 5mm behind their original position. I find this rearrangement makes the plane more stable during takeoff.

Put a 'body flap' on the rear of the fuselage. I use a piece of clear plastic (so as not to change the look of the plane) about 10mm long and the width of the fuselage with pop can metal hinges so it can be adjusted. Mount it on the tail to the top of the fuselage so the body flap sticks out behind the plane. It can be set so the plane flies like normal or bent it up for slow high aspect flight.

Like I usually do, I put winglets on my wing tips to help stabilize the plane.

Replace the plastic nose cone with something stronger, lighter and safer. Take some thin, light duty two way tape, the kind with the plastic backing about 10mm wide. Stick one side to some grocery bag plastic. Pick a nice bright colour and stick the tape to the outside of the bag if you are trying to use a printed part of the bag. Now wrap the strips of tape on the nose cone from the fuselage to the tip overlapping as you go. Do the same thing to the fuselage up to the intakes but use clear kitchen wrap as you backing. Very durable and kind of like a crush zone now because it's flexible.

nitebat
Sep 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just Say No To GMO

You won't believe this

Did they suddenly increase the fluoride levels in the drinking water there in Canada?

Not only was my plane overdue and not only was ITC stonewalling me over it, It finally came today...only...THEY SENT THE WRONG PRODUCT!!!

Somehow, I really cannot understand this, they confused an ITC Ironman and Transmitter with an Ifly VAMP!! Un-Flipping-Believable! Guess those guys just got vaccinated or something cuz that's a serious brain-fart.

Oh well. Thank the maker that it's 49mhz and that I actually like the vamps cuz I just don't have it in me to wait another 2 weeks to get something to fly, so I reckon I'm stuck with it.

Oh well...sigh. whatever. idiots.
Sep 18, 2009, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisemiquaver
Did they suddenly increase the fluoride levels in the drinking water there in Canada?

Not only was my plane overdue and not only was ITC stonewalling me over it, It finally came today...only...THEY SENT THE WRONG PRODUCT!!!

Somehow, I really cannot understand this, they confused an ITC Ironman and Transmitter with an Ifly VAMP!! Un-Flipping-Believable! Guess those guys just got vaccinated or something cuz that's a serious brain-fart.

Oh well. Thank the maker that it's 49mhz and that I actually like the vamps cuz I just don't have it in me to wait another 2 weeks to get something to fly, so I reckon I'm stuck with it.

man, sorry you had a bad experience - try emailing them again, "explicitly ask" for the plane you want (already ordered), they will probably not respond to your email... but you should have an "account history" that should have your correct order on the site. Tough to mess up the order history... If they made a mistake they will send you the correct plane. Trust me I had several motors go out from extremely tough flying (or were bad) and ITC replaced them all! Just be respectful, explicitly forward and ask for exactly what you want... couldn't hurt right...

I've had a dozen planes sent from Canada (ITC) - though they did take long to arrive - I always received exactly what was on my account history. Plus I feel confident 'cause all my experiences with Canadians have been way positive "a"... maybe its assumptive on my part, but they've been a pleasure to work with...
Sep 18, 2009, 02:22 PM
AAces High
Thread OP

Thanks nitebat!

Thanks for sharing your mods with us nitebat!

I still haven't had a decent chance to fly my Hulk yet. I like the landing gear mod. But I fly over grass so I just use the LG on my planes while they are on display. That is unless I can't remove them without damaging the plane.

Dave
Sep 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
AAces High
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisemiquaver

Dude! They have a record of your transaction. Sometimes with these companies if you harp them long enough they'll give you what you want for free. If they try to get you to return the vamp tell them no. You shouldn't be required to pay shipping for their mistake. You didn't get what you paid for so get on their a es!! Call them, bombard them with emails or whatever you need to do to rectify the matter.

Good Luck! Hope to hear a happy ending to this story!

Dave
Sep 18, 2009, 03:11 PM
AAces High
Thread OP

Razor Info

Is there someone that could make us hip to the Razor? Is it mod worthy? Any pix or what ever you wish to share? Will it fly with a Hulk Tx?

Thanks,

Dave
Sep 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
AAces High
Thread OP

Yay!!

My trip to TRU paid off. I got my 49mhz F22 (Microfighter)!!! And I ordered the 49mhz Ironman from ITC. I had forgotten just how small and fragile this plane is. This airframe with the power system it comes with is like putting a Hemi in a Smart Car!!!! The power to weigh ratio must be through the roof!!! It's raining again of course. So no maiden tonight.
Sep 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by reset3x
Is there someone that could make us hip to the Razor? Is it mod worthy? Any pix or what ever you wish to share? Will it fly with a Hulk Tx?

Thanks,

Dave
The Razor is a good little bird, especially for beginners. I would call it a somewhat ponderous version of the Aero Ace Sport, but with much better range and ability in the wind.

It's very solidly built and has zero throttle turning, which is sometimes needed as it tends to turn wide. The ZTT can really save your bacon when it's windy and pitbulls and alien rooftops are the hazards around you (me).

I do not mod so cannot comment. Mine only got a short time out of it before one of the motors started to grind and go bad. Others I have spoken to that owned Razors said theirs did not last long either, due to the motors or the Lipo dying, seemingly, prematurely. I could swear I used the MIni XPV charger on mine, thus charging at 1c with all the benefits but others have shouted me down and say it's impossible. I'm not sure if they tested this on a Razor of if it's just conjecture but at any rate I'll test it in the future if nobody else does first.

The stock transmitter should work with all ITC planes in the same Frequency, at least that's what a forum member told me when I asked about using the Razor tx with the Ironman. It's a shame the Vamp transmitter won't work with those planes, it has great range and none of that filtered/unfiltered nonsense to mess with.

I would recommend it but buyer beware...the Razors were made in like 2007 and unless you find one that was made after that run, you will probably have a dead, damaged Lipo that won't work right.

I should note that the VAMP that ITC sent to me accidentally has a 2008 date on it and the Lipo was stone dead when I got it and is clearly damaged. The charger throws me a warning light saying that the batteries are weak (brand new alkaline bats tested on a voltage meter..perfectly fine) and it does not have power to fly (well) for more than a couple of minutes. Having owned a Vamp before I can say this is not normal and indicates a bad Lipo.....

So, as long as you watch the Age of the plane and make sure it's not been sitting in the box for more than a year, it should be good.
Last edited by demisemiquaver; Sep 20, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Sep 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
AAces High
Thread OP
Thanks demisemiquaver!!

Dave
Sep 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Nitebat, I like the idea of the "body flap" you put on your planes. Could see using that elsewhere.

Exactly how did you attach the flap using pop-can aluminum? Does CA stick the aluminum to the flap and to the foam body?

Can we get a close-up of the connection area?

Thanks!
Sep 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
AAces High
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Nitebat, I like the idea of the "body flap" you put on your planes. Could see using that elsewhere.

Exactly how did you attach the flap using pop-can aluminum? Does CA stick the aluminum to the flap and to the foam body?

Can we get a close-up of the connection area?

Thanks!
Ditto! More pix!
Sep 20, 2009, 03:55 PM
gti
gti
You CANNOT charge ITC plane with the MXPV tx/charger. Please be extra careful before giving out charging information for Lipo.

Read this thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ge#post9820880
Sep 20, 2009, 07:01 PM
Just Say No To GMO
You might be right. However as far as I can tell it's just a rumor and nobody has tested it.
I could swear I used it on my Razor, I certainly would have at least tried it and I would have noted if it fried the plane. Hmm.

However if it turns out to be true that you cannot use the mxpv charger on any ITC planes, that really sucks. One of the reasons I wanted an Iron Man was the prospect of charging at 1c.

I have my old razor but the lipo is totally dead after all this time so I was unable to test it, however the plug (slightly modified) fits into it perfectly and again I would have tried it.

So I dunno, again you may be right about the Razor or it might just apply to the other planes in the ITC lineup. If I get another Razor I'll clear up the confusion.
In the meantime, just to be on the safe side, I will remove the suggestion from the previous post.

Onward and Upward.
Last edited by demisemiquaver; Sep 20, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply