Oct 05, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Tduro, I had experience this vibration/fluttering on the left elevon last weekend, and I read somewhere that this is caused by a weak servo.

Can be solve by making a v bend (or u bend) on the pushrod to relieve the stress on the servo, or better yet, replace the servo which is what I did, no more vibrations... i have bunch of those cheap 9g micro servos bought from ebay, and some of them have problems.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduro
Rcpinoy, nice job on the illustrations. I was obsessed with alula clones for a while. You'll find my info here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627593

My first one was a sloppy build, but flew great. My second one was a precision build (for me anyway) and flew like crap. The issue, which I never resolved, was extreme vibration on the elevons at high speeds, which severely limited the launch. I even replaced the elevons with stiff balsa - no improvement.

I've since moved onto other things. Best of luck to you and your project! I'll be checking back to see your progress!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2009, 04:57 PM
same here, the fuse is what is taking much of my time, dont know why I always wants it to be perfect. You gave me an idea on how I should do my fuse. I'm revising my blue thumb wing, its still tail heavy and I dont want to add unecessary weight, i'll move the servos up further, I think went too crazy on the elevons, too big and added a lot of weight, will try trimming some of it too... and i'll trim the rear of the fuse as well... Else, i'll convert this again to a powered version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
Looks great rcpinoy. I like the tail design. Mine drags the tail also but Ive yet to damage it.

I flew today in 18mph winds, no slope I thought better of it but I said what the heck. The glide is unbelievable however the weight is not optimal for those conditions.

I changed the fuse again, I struggle with fuses, I don't know. Here is a pic after the flight, slight wing damage but nothing some hot glue couldn't repair.
Oct 07, 2009, 09:27 PM
Went flying today, conditions were better. However:

Thumb wing did not like the battery on top of the KF step, every time I nosed up too much, it would stall and then flip over and I would have to land upside down or fight it to get right side up. Im going to change the fuse again LOL and get the battery below the wing.

Im going with a profile fuse, no folding prop, higher KV motor. I think rcpinoys fuse is great but I dont like to stuff my electronics in like that and I only have large AR6000 receivers.

I guess this is what scratch building is about.
Oct 07, 2009, 11:29 PM
Outside the box!
Hey guys I dig FSW designs a d have built/flown many, but youall might like this one. I haven't sloped it yet cause I don't have any good slopes close, but it glides so well witha prop I'm sure it'll slope great. Search for simplicious here on rcg. It'd be great if someone would build a sloper of it and try it.
GtrScotty
Oct 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
Hey guys, what do you think of putting a spar running down the center line of the plane? Would it be beneficial or just extra weight?
Oct 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
not sure about what will be the benefit, but I dont think it is necessary, rather use it across instead. just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookid
Hey guys, what do you think of putting a spar running down the center line of the plane? Would it be beneficial or just extra weight?
Oct 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
just an upate, I tested the blue thumb wing (w/ made up airfoil), tried to do DLG, it wont go sky up, only 25ft, and will do loops... could be the airfoil?

it glides though.

I have a video, but it's more than 10mins and youtube wont take it. It's a .mov file, and windows movie maker doesn't like it too... need to find another free editor.

Later.
Oct 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpinoy
just an upate, I tested the blue thumb wing (w/ made up airfoil), tried to do DLG, it wont go sky up, only 25ft, and will do loops... could be the airfoil?

it glides though.

I have a video, but it's more than 10mins and youtube wont take it. It's a .mov file, and windows movie maker doesn't like it too... need to find another free editor.

Later.
Pics?

Ive destroyed my powered version after hitting a tree. LOL Going to build another non powered but Im going to use plans from the coro Draco for the wing and your plans for the fuse and tail.
Nov 11, 2009, 04:17 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
Hey guys! I finished the wing on my bird and am now going to work on the pod. The tail is made out of coroplast but I am thinking of going lighter. Oh and one question, should I put a motor into the pod or fly it at the slopes? Thanks
Nov 11, 2009, 05:57 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpinoy
...tried to do DLG, it wont go sky up, only 25ft, and will do loops... could be the airfoil?

it glides though. Later.
I don't think it's the airfoil. Where are the elevons when it glides nicely? They should be just slightly up.

If it glides OK at slow speed, but swoops up at higher speed, move the CG back, and counteract that with a little down elevons. The goal is for there to be no pitch change upon airspeed increase.

I had mine trimmed so that I needed just a little down elevons during the launch and a little more at the apex to transition to level flight. I was able to get decent launch altitudes that way.

BTW, mine was extremely sensitive to CG changes. +/- 1/8" made worlds of difference.

(I think my advice is close, anyway. Experts please chime in.)
Jan 11, 2010, 06:51 PM
Woohoo. Thumbwing #3. She flies great, can even SAL. Wing is 1 piece 9mm EPP, beveled leading and trailing edges. Removable Coro tail. Canopy for 650mah Ni-MH. AUW is 6.8oz

Now for some color.

Cant wait to chuck it off the Brown Rd mini mtn. Need some wind.
Jan 18, 2010, 09:25 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey J2, is that a flat piece of 9mm ePP?? did you make any profile on it??, I had printed the plans, soon I will join the club, I miss my alula and for the moment I have no money for an AlulaEVO, so this is the way to go,

EZ
Jan 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea
Hey J2, is that a flat piece of 9mm ePP?? did you make any profile on it??, I had printed the plans, soon I will join the club, I miss my alula and for the moment I have no money for an AlulaEVO, so this is the way to go,

EZ
Correct wing is 1 piece 9mm EPP, beveled leading edge to symmetrical and cut trailing edge to 45.
Jan 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
the answer 42 is
Oky DOky, Roger that, I will be doing some building next weekend, this is in my to do list NOW, I dont have EPP actually but I found an interesting material that might do the job,

I will keep you posted

EZ
Jan 19, 2010, 08:37 AM
the answer 42 is
hey guys one more question, which one flys better, KFprofile or flat EPP??

EZ

Quick Reply