Sep 20, 2009, 11:14 PM
rcpinoy is that CG from the center or wing tip?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
from center... see newly updated template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
rcpinoy is that CG from the center or wing tip?
Sep 20, 2009, 11:57 PM
Here's what I have from last week, i'll take more photos tommorow when I come back.

this is an electric version, So I have to cut the nose and glued the firewall for blue wonder motor.

sandwiched the tail to the fuse, this is a permanent tail. I want this build simple and light as this first version is a powered glider, you can have your tail removable if you want.

Cut the wing, cut the servo hole, cut the wing tip, sanded to 20deg.
Sep 21, 2009, 01:16 AM
Rusty
And the foil?
Sep 21, 2009, 08:19 AM
No airfoil for this one since I only have a limited foam, but the next build will have an airfoil.

look at j2m2t2's, he put an kfm airfoil, i'm looking forward on its maiden flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
And the foil?
Sep 21, 2009, 08:31 AM
rcpinoy I like the powered version too. Ill build that version after I see how this one flies.

I was thinking of making a removable pod to go from powered to non powered. Do you think some rubber bands would keep the wing in place during fast flight?
Sep 21, 2009, 08:50 AM

My Progress - Thumb Wing

Cut some holes on the tail, to ligthen the tail up. Then cover the holes with tape. Took out almost 2grams.

Got the servo in, glued the fuse to the wing, I thought I would put the access hole for the electronics on top of the nose, (its ok I guess for non-electric version), but there's not enough room to move around the wires/receiver/lipo and ESC for balancing.

So, I gutted the belly, and cram all the electronics together.

I made a belly skid out of coke bottle, just cut and shape it to match the belly. This will protect the fuse and the electronics on landing.
Last edited by rcpinoy; Sep 21, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Sep 21, 2009, 09:00 AM
Looks good whats your AUW?
Sep 21, 2009, 09:37 AM
j2m2t2, yes I thought of removable pod too, but not sure how i'm gonna do it, I thought of maybe glueing a small balsa on the pod, and glue a nylon nut on it. couple nuts in front, and 1 nut at the end of the pod near the tail.
then use nylon screws through the wing to attach the pod/wing together.
just copying from my other glider w/ removable wing.

but, rubber band may work too, give it a shot. may even work better.

Quote:
rcpinoy I like the powered version too. Ill build that version after I see how this one flies.

I was thinking of making a removable pod to go from powered to non powered. Do you think some rubber bands would keep the wing in place during fast flight?
Sep 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
wing area is 1.8 sq feet. (259.2 sq in)

my auw is 255grams (8.97oz), for an electric version.

So, this electric version gives us a wing loading of
8.97 / 1.8 = 4.98 oz / sq ft.

Plenty for the Blue Wonder 2712-17 motor (1700kv), looks like it can do vertical on 2S lipo, and flies like a rocket on 3S.

Not too bad I guess. I'm mostly into gliding/soaring anyways.

I 'm using a spinner from bphobbies.com, this 30mm spinner was so unbalanced, took me a while to balance it, what I did is let it spin on a sandpaper and let it grind, until the vibration went away.

my folding prop is graupner cam 8x4.5 from espritmodel.com. perfectly balanced, tried on high quality spinner. It's just that the spinner is not.

No maiden yet, I only fly during weekends, have work during daytime, but I tried "Side Arm" launch in the back lawn to test the glide, 30mm CG, she does glides nicely... and even better on 35mm CG... We will see this weekend. Can't wait.

Quote:
Looks good whats your AUW?
Last edited by rcpinoy; Oct 03, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Sep 21, 2009, 01:46 PM
Sussex, UK
You guys should have a look at this thread:

A Cornishmans Planetastic Adventure...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=355

They're using an EPS wing, hot-wire cut to an aerofoil, covered with laminating film (usually used for laminating paper, applied to the foam with an iron)

From the video in this post, it looks pretty tough and flies very well:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=359

I tried a 'KFerret' model like this a while ago but I don't think the KF wing was the best choice.
Sep 22, 2009, 10:09 PM
Flew it this afternoon. Glides real nice but when I attempt to SAL it seems to just float down without any forward momentum. I think the KF step and my build material is causing to much drag.

Im adding a blue wonder and Ill just fly it up there. Where I am in AZ I dont get as many chances to slope anyway.

Also Im going to buy myself an EVO here in the near future.
Sep 23, 2009, 12:09 AM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
You could launch it with bungee. It might work better as its a slower launch over about a hundred feet.
Sep 23, 2009, 01:33 PM
any videos? would be interesting to see how this planform fly with KF airfoil.
i'll fly mine this weekend.

same here in NJ, mostly flatlands, i have to travel far way for slopes. I have to sneak in sometimes to fly besides Macy's mall with the birds staying aloft looking for food at the parking lot. Gladly, the securities still haven't notice that one of the birds is an RC.

Quote:
Flew it this afternoon. Glides real nice but when I attempt to SAL it seems to just float down without any forward momentum. I think the KF step and my build material is causing to much drag.

Im adding a blue wonder and Ill just fly it up there. Where I am in AZ I dont get as many chances to slope anyway.

Also Im going to buy myself an EVO here in the near future.
Sep 23, 2009, 02:04 PM
RCPINOY,

Looks like a fun build.

Best wishes and looking forward to your flight report on your
maiden.

Cheers,
Don

Quick Reply