Apr 19, 2003, 05:39 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP

Miniflash Saga Continues - Tail Heavy

So, It's been really nice here these past few days. I have been flying, and preparing my miniflash to go again. So, Today, I decided to maiden it with GWS gear. It still remained tail heavy, so much so I had to add 3 AAA batteries to the nose just to get it to balance within acceptable limits. I had the batteries and Reciever as far as they would go. It flew, but lumbered along not a foot off the ground, i couldn't even make a circle to come back to me, I ditched in the grass. At this point, I put my 7 cell nicads in and took off the batteries. It flew, but still was extremely tail heavy. I ended up crunching it up really good. Again. This is the fourth time, I must be doing something wrong. How can I get this to balance right?!

-Josh-

Setup:
Solite covering
Built with Thin CA
8 Cell 720 Nimh
GWS 300c-D Gearing
12 inch GWS prop (12x6)
20 Amp GP Speed Control
8 Channel Reciever
Hs 55 Servos.

(I had a hacker in it before, but that wouldn't balance either, and the gear boxes were getting too expensive)
Last edited by enigmabomb; Apr 19, 2003 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2003, 06:10 PM
Been There! Done That!

Re: Miniflash Saga Continues - Tail Heavy

Quote:
Originally posted by enigmabomb
So, It's been really nice here these past few days. I have been flying, and preparing my miniflash to go again. So, Today, I decided to maiden it with GWS gear. It still remained tail heavy, so much so I had to add 3 AAA batteries to the nose just to get it to balance within acceptable limits. I had the batteries and Reciever as far as they would go. It flew, but lumbered along not a foot off the ground, i couldn't even make a circle to come back to me, I ditched in the grass. At this point, I put my 7 cell nicads in and took off the batteries. It flew, but still was extremely tail heavy. I ended up crunching it up really good. Again. This is the fourth time, I must be doing something wrong. How can I get this to balance right?!

-Josh-

Setup:
Solite covering
Built with Thin CA
8 Cell 720 Nimh
GWS 300c-D Gearing
12 inch GWS prop (12x6)
20 Amp GP Speed Control
8 Channel Reciever
Hs 55 Servos.

(I had a hacker in it before, but that wouldn't balance either, and the gear boxes were getting too expensive)
The 720's with that setup just won't provide enough amps to get it flying with the weight! You need the 8-800 pack! As to the nose weight... I have the 8 cell Kan pack in mine with the mini AC setup and had to add nose weight to get it to balance where it should!
boomer
Apr 19, 2003, 06:11 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
Well, that was the first flight, I then put in some nice 700 Nicads. They would have flown it well... sans the weight problem.

-Josh-
Apr 19, 2003, 06:12 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
...What do I use to add weight. I need something more elegant than batteries taped on the cowl.

-Josh-
Apr 19, 2003, 06:17 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by enigmabomb
...What do I use to add weight. I need something more elegant than batteries taped on the cowl.

-Josh-
It's a tight fit but managed to get a couple of Model RR weight pieces inside the front of the nose! In the past I have in like cases drilled the balsa nose and inserted straight pieces of heavy coreless solder sticks epoxied or CAed in the holes and then recovered with covering material!
boomer

Quick Reply