Apr 19, 2003, 05:25 PM
Thread OP

The best of both worlds

What a day! Started out early this morning with several flights on my SwitchBack 3D while the winds were still low. After lunch, when the winds picked up, it was off to the club field to fly my glow powered Sig Somethin Extra (kind of like a glow powered MiniFlash).

Now if I can sneak in some time on the TM before sunset ...

Hope you guys had a good flying day too.

Carl
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2003, 05:43 PM
BOSS
Talk about a GREAT flying day! I woke up at 11:00 am and went outside, very little wind, so I went to the field, with the Tiny-x and there was a thermal in the middle of the field, plus I was flying into the wind and I almost lost sight of it, I thought to myself, boy while im up there I should do some aerobatics!. I did 6 rolls in a row and a loop to a roll, then some inverted, but this was the first time I ever did this!, I did a inside loop! How sweet! THis afteroon I has taking out my battery and one of my cf wheels came off. So I tried to fix it but no luck so I took off the other wheel. Went flying again with a prop saver and the wait of the wheels off really made a difference, I might of had 7 seconds vertical all on a S2!!

Jon
Apr 19, 2003, 05:53 PM
nope; not me
winds were up, but SO WHAT? I still HAD to maiden my Slow Stick
try one: forgot to extend radio antenna, lost control after 20 feet, broke prop
try two: winds gusted harder, even though the second I did take off it was at zero , and flipped the poor thing over, nose in, and both of the two tail surfaces broke off; not cleanly might I add. CA? Doesn't hold. Went home pi$$d off.
Did I learn a lesson? NO WAY! oh well, for the balsa ships, I leaned a lesson to wait for evening or morning for maiden. Foam un-breakables? nope!

-aeroP
Apr 19, 2003, 07:16 PM
Mechanical Eng. Student
I had a great flyin day too! Flew the new BL Live Wire and my Radical Edge 540. I really like both of these airplanes!!
Apr 24, 2003, 11:39 AM
Wow that edge looks familiar!! How are you liking it? What did you put on it for your power system?

Regards
Bill
Apr 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
SC3
SC3

Just an observation...

Great looking planes but it looks like you need to shrink that Solite up some more on the wing. Just take your iron and set it to about 1.25 or 1.5 heat and run it from the TE to the LE (or vice versa) fairly slowly. Thank should take care of those nasty loose spots. Just make sure that you don't go against the edges of any other colors. So you want to make sure that you flow OFF of the top layer of Solite not onto it as you go across this wing. The reason - the added heat can cause the edges to slightly melt or pull up.

Great job though - I'm looking forward to a weekend of flying myself.

Keep flyin' it bruthas!
|<lint
Last edited by SC3; Apr 24, 2003 at 11:58 AM.
Apr 24, 2003, 01:17 PM
Mechanical Eng. Student
Quote:
Originally posted by Bsouthwell
Wow that edge looks familiar!! How are you liking it? What did you put on it for your power system?

Regards
Bill

I LOVE it. I used a GWS300D with 12x6 prop. It hovers very nice.

Thanks
Addison
Apr 24, 2003, 04:57 PM
Mechanical Eng. Student

Re: Just an observation...

Quote:
Originally posted by SC3
Great looking planes but it looks like you need to shrink that Solite up some more on the wing. Just take your iron and set it to about 1.25 or 1.5 heat and run it from the TE to the LE (or vice versa) fairly slowly. Thank should take care of those nasty loose spots. Just make sure that you don't go against the edges of any other colors. So you want to make sure that you flow OFF of the top layer of Solite not onto it as you go across this wing. The reason - the added heat can cause the edges to slightly melt or pull up.

Keep flyin' it bruthas!
|<lint
It's not solite, its the wattage plactic film that comes on the wings. You have to shrink it with a hair-dryer. The heat gun gets a little too hot. An iron would destroy the "covering material" that wattage uses.

Thanks
AK
Apr 24, 2003, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hoverkid87
I had a great flyin day too! Flew the new BL Live Wire and my Radical Edge 540. I really like both of these airplanes!!
Hello!
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but which is which in your photo? Is it the one with covering that hovers well?
Where did you get the plans for the smaller profile one?

Thanx!
-aeroP
Apr 24, 2003, 06:35 PM
Mechanical Eng. Student
Both hover well actually! The larger one is the Live Wire and the smaller one is the Radical RC Edge 540, it can be bought from www.radicalrc.com.

AK
Apr 24, 2003, 06:44 PM
great! Thanx! I was actually hoping that the edge wasn't a kit, but rather scratch built, because it looks like it can be done, completely, assuming all materials are on hand, in a DAY!

-aeroP

Quick Reply