Sep 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Build Log

91" span C-130 #200

With all the C-130’s I have made there was always something lacking with them. The first one was the Skip Mast design. The size was right and the total weight was acceptable but it flew like a Reno racer and if you throttled it back motors would die. Thats what killed the plane.
Out of 50 flights I’d bet 9 of them finished with all the motors running. I believe #2 is in a dead air space because it would overheat and die first.
That model lasted three years.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 16, 2009 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Model #85

The next one was one of my first electric designs, Impressed with the twin star performance I went to work on a 3 foot span C-130 powered with 4 280 brushed motors. The prototype suffered a spar failure and after the problem was addressed I had a very good flying model. I drew up the plans and they were published in Quiet flyer magazine.
From there the design went to E.A.M. as a kit. 150 copies of this model was produced and I was surprised to see one fly at SEF in 2008 4 years later. (small world) This ones problem was it’s size and the foam texture made it look just OK up close.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 16, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Sep 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Model #119

Encouraged with the 3 foot span model I went back to skips design and went electric this time. Keep in mind this was when we were all still flying NiCad packs and brushed motors. The model flew as well as Skips glow version with 40 cells, 4 speed 600’s with planetary gear boxes. This model was only in my flock for one summer Why? . .Flight time was about 4 minuets, weight was about the same as the glow version so it was fast too. And time to charge the cells, 3 hours (I only had one charger). This monster took up all the space in the explorer and I could only do one flight per trip to the field due to time restraints. E.A.M bought this bird and has not upgraded the equipment yet.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 16, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Sep 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Model #83

I did build a little indoor version. Two foot span. With 4 IPS motors. I flew it in the hanger for a few months then gave it to a friend.
Fun little model but indoor flight was for light sticks at the time and they didn't care if they were in the way.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 16, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Sep 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

I walked into the hobby shop one day and spotted an orange four blade prop. GWS had just released it for their mustang I believe. I bought four and got started. I did several run testes with the Slow Stick motor / gear system (new at the time) and knew it could do the job.
4 geared speed 300’s on 8 NiCad cells gave me enough thrust to fly my new C-130.
But just barely, 7 laps around the field and altitude was something you were fighting for.
The motors would only last for about 15 flights and the NiCad’s would come back smoking hot every time. Despite all that, I loved the plane, it’s the right size and those four blade props look just too cool. It even made the cover of Flying Models the first year it flew. A first for me.
Then came lithium polymer packs and brushless motors. I upgraded the plane with geared Himax motors and a 3200 three cell pack. Now I had a super Hercules.
The thrust was so good I cut a cargo door in the back and started dropping stuff . Either two trucks or 8 troops per flight is now possible. My flight time extended to the point I didn’t bother running a timer.

The Good photos Ronnie Pope took
Ronnie, feel free to post more if you still have them and thank you.
Sep 16, 2009, 04:42 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Fast forward to 2009

What was a model plane I was just experimenting with has turned into an old faithful bird. However I have always wished I had spent more time with the scale lines on this one. The radome is too big, the nacelles are too boxy, the tail feathers are flat panels and the wing is too wide and a bit short.
With better tooling skills, a large collection of reference material and better batteries available I started on a new C-130. This one will be slightly larger, have a better wing with area, flaps, wired for lighting and a cargo door from the start.

Tomorrow I'll start the build log on model #200.
Sep 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
Looking forward to it!!!
Sep 16, 2009, 06:44 PM

Go get um

Will be watching this one Keith...

Randy
Sep 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ex-President @ HMM
This is going to be GREAT!!!!
Sep 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
A decent sized Herc with a true scale outline and a light enough weight so it doesn't fly like a Reno Racer is definitely something the modelling world has been waiting for!
Sep 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I'm wanting one too. Will Flying Models have the plan and article or will you sell it yourself? This will be a great build.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
Sep 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
This one goes to Flying Models , they give us ( scratch builders) the most page space to get the construction steps across to the readers.
If you scracth build models and are not a subscriber you will have no right to complain when it's gone.
Not a prediction Just the trend.
All tha will be left to read is the ARF magalogs.
Sep 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
Ex-President @ HMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
This one goes to Flying Models , they give us ( scratch builders) the most page space to get the construction steps across to the readers.
If you scracth build models and are not a subscriber you will have no right to complain when it's gone.
Not a prediction Just the trend.
All tha will be left to read is the ARF magalogs.

Sparks, So they will have the plans will you be doing a short kit??????
Sep 17, 2009, 11:02 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Ok, finally a decent 130!

So glad Flying Models is going to get this one. You are so right, they tend to tailor to the builders out there. Flying Models is the only magazine I have continually renewed, all the others are as you mentioned "ARF Megalogs", even FlyRC has gone that route.

Any other specs yet? span? expected power setups?

cooper998
Sep 17, 2009, 11:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Yes, the magazine will sell the plans for a while to recoup the article cost then I will offer them with all the plastic parts and perhaps a laser cut set of Mostly light ply.
I'll use the same power system on Ship 133.
Motor……………………Himax 2025
KV………………………3200 KVA
Motor max amps…………20
Propeller…………………10x6 four blade
Battery……………………3600 three cell lithium

I tried a 4200 motor with the same gear ratio (5.3 :1) , It's a good thing I had a shield between me and the test stand because at full power the propeller failed.
Two blades went out the door across the yard and hit the house. One blade hit the cabinet rick-o-shade and cut my arm.
This power set up will be the only one I'll recommend for this model when the four blade prop is used..

I tested static thrust, amp draw, voltage drop, battery and motor temp until it all went to hell.
This is the most thrust this prop can offer.
But we are not without other options though. I've chosen to mount the motors with a stick type mount so out runners can be used.
Perhaps the E-flight 480 so it can spin the prop hub I used on the YO-3A .
Or you could go low scale and really open your options with a two blade prop and hotter motor.

Quick Reply