Sep 16, 2009, 03:55 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Cool

Study: FW 190 A 1:48 scale Prototyping Versus Tooling

Hello Guys!

In the past I did several protos from Depron and other Styrene foams

Worked pretty well but those were rather high effort .
For to get a variant in technology and for to be able to estimate what tooling takes and what it brings compared with the results of the proto process I use.....

I decided to try a scenario just for one bird... ok there are some manufacturers which did similar - but this is mine ... my first attempt on a FW 190 with matrix/ stamp tooling
and I'm targeting plantraco as a gear ... as soon as my car repair from today is just payed....

Results are still far away from mass production but this project just gives me a perspective from where I can estimate the necessary efforts.....
Last edited by Harpye; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
RC WANABEE
Hey Harpye, Glad to see you here on this forum. I have learned a lot from your excellent build over in the Scratchbuilt forums. Especially on building fusalages! Thank you very much. Now I can thermoform my fuse's just like you.(Not exactly) I'm currently trying my hand at some Luft 46 designs (Junkers Warthog) I'll be using two Echargers 28mm fans on this brute. Again thanks for all you great tutorials I hope I can do you justice. Keith
Sep 16, 2009, 08:02 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Harpye
Looks awesome keep us posted please, and I want one when you get things rollings was thinking Plantraco gear soon as I saw this fuse.

Doom
Sep 17, 2009, 01:38 AM
Build it again, Sam!
As plantraco is low in price at this time I will take a bucket full of stuff next week but finally will have to get tools for the wings and the feathers.....

Did several planes in the past but those are made " MIG LIKE"

X-Twin Conversion B25 Mitchel (0 min 47 sec)

X-Twin Conversion Ju52 (0 min 21 sec)

X-Twin COnversion Mosquito Maiden (1 min 5 sec)

X_Twin Conversion Me262 (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Harpye; Sep 17, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
Sep 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
Micro Crazy Man
WOW bro nice love the JU52 looks like it's a nice slow flier in the Vid would love to get the JU52 airframe for my AA guts you have an airframe for sale?

Doom
Sep 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Unfortunately not ... would be able to have sold about 10 to 20 kits

But as my "normal" technique is just prototyping...not mass production
they are unique....
Sep 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
so, are you trying to get these produced for plantraco or bsd or something like that?
it look amazing from here, very scale but light and smooth
i know i would like an airframe to play around with if you do make them!
Sep 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Until now this is just a kind of study what effort and what technique to get such an airframe! I do the parts here in my appartement just in my oven and I'm not equipped for mass production ... ( but as this study was very cost intensive (one 3mm ballmill is about 50 $... 4mm flatmill 25 $; material more then 100 $ ... At least I was able to use the professional CAM software at the job ....) as I will g t some out ..I will possibly sell some, just to get some off the costs back, for new projects....
Sep 17, 2009, 06:22 PM
Micro Crazy Man
When your ready you got 2 sold I'll get from you. let me know can wait to see the wings and tail

Doom
Sep 18, 2009, 01:05 AM
Harpye,

Looks like you re doing intersting stuff here. Are you developing your molds from a plastic kit?

Marlin
Sep 18, 2009, 03:15 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Nooo plastic kit as the details are not really good to be transferred on the foam....

True construction and CNC milled in Polyacetal block. There is a rather fine "Ribbon" on the parts comming from the line down mill cycle ( hope this will not be seen when painted but I cant effort the time to reduce the line down to 0.1 mm ( currently I have o.3mm and each part is about 3 hours of processing+ construction)... As the first wing is ready to be assembled I will take some macro photos...

first wing is in oven.... Will see what I get out!!
Last edited by Harpye; Sep 18, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Sep 18, 2009, 03:50 AM
Like a Boss
It is possible to get 99% of the detail from the plastic kit. (dont knock it till you try it.)yea i though the samething till i tried it... (it is possible!)
the only areas that will be trouble are the areas that stick out (exahust scoops,small bumps,etc).. but those can be done in pu and silicone molds.

unfortunately if you plan on selling... forget the kits due to copyright problems..... and go with the cnc molds.
Sep 18, 2009, 04:40 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Heliman: Thank you for posting that comment!... As the milling pattern is just placed on the foam you are quite right that details would probably be transferable ... but ... as I would have to mill all the details in 3D and in negatively would have to engrave the molds ( 0.8 mm Ballmill is about 50 Euro cheapest... and just stays some meters of track sharp)...

Other thing is that my wing is compressed styrene foam which is shaped to airfoil ( ARA kind....) at the thinnest dimension ( trailing edge .. it is about 0.8mm .. so engraving would have to either be rather precise... or would have to be such thin that would not be weakening the wing.... what in second case would mean aluminum for the tools ( now it is Polyacetal...)....
As the aerodynamics is rather new, the whole plane has to be adapted ... tooling etc..

The study is about to create everything... I'm fanatic DIY ... Revell is much more detailed, but I guess I would not be interested in this,- even as it comes out cheaper compared with what I do here!! IT IS MY WORK - -NO COPY OR CLONE !!!
Sep 18, 2009, 04:46 AM
Like a Boss
Harpye very nice! youre work is one to none i know that you are saying... im playing around with epoxy molds of 1/72 kits, i have had good results so far, since i dont have a cnc machine nor any experince using one... using the kit for molds is my way of doing it...

but these models are for personal use and no for resale so i dont have to worry about copyright...

if you use a 1/48th kit the detail will be unmatched... you can use 2 part high temp epoxy to make the molds....

Looking forward to seeing the finished model

by the way how is your 1/72 DORA coming along.... ive been waiting for you to get it flying..
Sep 18, 2009, 05:32 AM
Build it again, Sam!
The nick leichty control on the dora was too expensive... and 2CH are too specific.....
( and it is not allowed to be used here in Germany except there is an permission and acredited RTTE conformity document as this includes som EMI testings for about 2000 to 3000 Bucks.... ( super regenerative RX from private users ( DIY) are strictly forbidden since the 1990th )

Thought about to build something rabbit like but as protocoll of my FASST system is not open source..... I would have to by an additioal spectrum tx

1:48 - I guess I will use the Plantraco stuff on this FW ... and perhaps use another 2 channel from them on the dora ... but first the FW .....

BTW., Also thought of Martens Epoxy but htat stuff is rather double that expensive than Polyacetal and it needs temper process to start curing ..... (and as I dont like harmful vapours in my appartment....)

Hj
Last edited by Harpye; Sep 18, 2009 at 05:38 AM.