Sep 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
yyz
yyz
Thread OP
Discussion

Roll Call for 2009 Palm Springs Leg of Wild West F3B Cup

All,

We've been talking about putting together a monthly F3B contest schedule similar to the Eurotour for a while now. In Mike Smith's latest podcast interview, he echoed the often-discussed theme of "The reason we, Americans, aren't competitive at the World Championship level, is that we don't fly enough, there aren't enough contests, etc..."

I suggest we do something about that. Sherpa (aka Schwemmer) has graciously offered his flying site near Palm Springs. There is an F3B contest in California Valley in early November. Let's put something *simple* together for Palm Springs in October before the Cal Valley contest and get on a monthly Eurotour-like schedule. It's easy to talk about it; let's just do it.

The F3F clan has already staked their claim on the "California Cup" name for their circuit. Just throwing this out there, but how about we call the F3B tour the "Wild West Cup"? We could invite anyone "West of the Pecos", "West of the Mississippi" or your favorite Spaghetti Western locale-ism.

Seriously, here is how the distances, to Palm Springs, break down from parts of California where there are current F3B folks:

Sacramento - 492 miles
San Jose - 445
San Luis Obispo - 300
Visalia - 296
Thousand Oaks - 185
San Diego - 125
Los Angeles - 109
Costa Mesa - 101

If you overlay a map of Europe on top of a map of the Western United States, I think you'll see that the "It's too far to drive" complaints don't hold up, *IF* you are going to compare our efforts and level of commitment to those of the Europeans.

For the Palm Springs event, it seems like we have some options:

1) Distance only - anyone brings whatever they got and we bracket based on gear (F3B/F flies against F3B/F, F3J/TD flies against F3J/TD, etc).

2) Distance and speed

3) The whole enchilada (duration, distance and speed) bring and fly what ya got

In looking at the Wunderground weather data for the past two years, it looks like the temperatures, wind speed and direction are reasonably consistent for October; 70s - 90s during the day, wind out of the west, breezy in the afternoons.

That is way more typing than I wanted to do. Let's carve this pig!

MD
Last edited by yyz; Sep 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
I'm in for anything in December/January.

Mike
Sep 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
Challenge is rewarding
I'll be there. and to keep the distcussion going, lets pack the winter with events. The rest of the year, we have to compete with plans for other large venues, but the winter is wide open for Soaring in SoCal. So lets do December or January for Palmsprings and I'll do the other month in San Diego. Then it will be back to Cal valley in March.

If we think every month is too tight, we can switch it up to every other month.

Jan- Palm Springs
March- Cal Valley
May- San Diego
July-?
September- ? Team Selections
November- Cal Valley
Sep 16, 2009, 02:49 PM
I am in. I say let's do it every month and forget about flying the TD (at least for me). I rather fly F3B once a month than TD.

I am in favour of flying all tasks because we HAVE to fly the tasks involved in order to claim we have practiced F3B correctly.

So, who is in?
Sep 16, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sherpa
OK I'll talk with the President and gain permission for Sat 24th of Oct. We can plan on start at 1000. That way the local guys can fly as they like to start at 7 am. The electric stuff they fly doesn't like too much wind so they start early before the wind comes up.

Ill let you know Saturday Sept. 20.

Sherpa
Sep 16, 2009, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marios
I say let's do it every month and forget about flying the TD (at least for me). I rather fly F3B once a month than TD.
Well, yes and no. I fly the club contests to support the club...don't necessarily need to make every event, but I'm trying to attend as many as I can. If we schedule these things monthly, that's fine, but we should ensure we don't intentionally step on the club dates.

Tom

PS I'm in for as many dates as I can get away with.
Sep 17, 2009, 12:19 AM
In!

Dave and I have a new "Team" name..... "The Underdogs"

Have no fear, "The Underdogs!" will be there!
Sep 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
I like the idea of the monthly thing, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to make it every month. So, whoever is going out there would have to coordinate with me to get the equipment if it needs to be borrowed, and take it out there.

Sherpa...You say that start time would likely need to be after 10am right? That effectively leaves about 7 hours of daylight left to fly. Do you think we will be able to get there and set up while the electrics are flying?

Mike
Sep 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
I like the idea of a monthly think too. Not sure if I can promise to do a full weekend every month (even thought I would like to).

I can't do Oct. 24th.

Tom
Sep 17, 2009, 11:20 AM
Palm springs is close enough for most so cal guys that a one day thing

looks good,, nor cal guys could spend the night.. need to dust off the Tragi and play some b

sj
Sep 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
yyz
yyz
Thread OP
Nor Cal guys going down 101 are welcome to crash at my house if you want to break up the drive. Plenty of room and good vittles. Can't seem to get away from that western theme...

MD

ps: Central Coast guys have sighting devices. Just need B -> A clickage gizmos.

pss: Can someone please post the scoring spreadsheet so we can take a look at it before game day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101
Palm springs is close enough for most so cal guys that a one day thing

looks good,, nor cal guys could spend the night.. need to dust off the Tragi and play some b

sj
Sep 19, 2009, 01:15 PM
Sherpa
I spoke with the club this morning and they are excited about you coming up. However I need to have an AMA CLUB sponsor this event so we can use the AMA insurance for the field. I need to talk with the Tennis Gardens to see if they would allows us. It seems positive right now BUT I dont have a guarantee. It would probably be best if we postponed until at least Nov to Jan so I have enough time to coordinate this. However if a few of you want to test the site before then to see if its doable then Ill have the burgers hot for you.

Rick
Sep 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
What's wrong with heavy?
It's too far a drive.
Sep 19, 2009, 02:06 PM
You guys are getting closer... Palm Springs is only 3 hours from here.... I'll let ya know as the time gets closer... but sounds pretty doable... Kyle? Got a loaner???
Sep 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dephela
It's too far a drive.

That's pretty funny.

I might make the next one, if there is a next one.
October is a busy work month for me, and I already am taking the weekend before off for the VRQ (I hope anyway ).

Hope it goes well for you guys.

T

Quick Reply