Sep 16, 2009, 10:45 AM
Help!

At wits end with original altimeter sensor

I guess I am about to give up on the original altimeter sensor.

I bought this about the time it came out, to use with my V2 data recorder.

Originally I calibrated the sensor according to the instructions, going from a cold location to a warm location. At that time (2007) I had a lot of drift downward and tried to figure out what was going on, but finally I gave up, thinking I would solve the issue later on.

Well it is now later on. I just did another calibration (requiring me to back up a version on firmware), except this time going from warm to room temperature.

After the calibration, I cleared the recorder and setup for a "static run".

Here is a captured plot---I simply hooked up the altimeter to the V2 logger with a 2s lipo pack in my basement, and recorded only the altimeter and the battery voltage.

As you can see, the darn thing still is drifting downward, maybe stabilizing after 600 s to "-30 feet".

This can't really be normal, even for these original altimeter sensors.

I will say this is exactly the same behavior as it was from 2 years ago, a continual downward drift. The basement temperature is pretty constant, and there certainly wasn't any storm front coming through.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Alan,

Sorry about the continued drift you are seeing. Some of the V1 sensors did drift more than others. One thing that you might want to try (sorry) is a calibration from, say, room temp + 20d F to room temp. That may provide better results.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Sep 17, 2009, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi Alan,

Sorry about the continued drift you are seeing. Some of the V1 sensors did drift more than others. One thing that you might want to try (sorry) is a calibration from, say, room temp + 20d F to room temp. That may provide better results.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree

Bill,
I hate to say it, but that was exactly what I did about 60 minutes prior to taking that run.

In all cases (calibrating from low to room, or high to room temperature), my altimeter will drift downward after plugging in the battery. I am not sure what is making it do that. Like I said, the temperature itself in the basement was constant, and both the sensor and the data recorder had been sitting there for for about an hour. So this doesn't "seem" to be temperature related. I am not running any motor --the 2s battery is simply supplying power to the recorder and sensor.
Sep 19, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Alan,

Can you email support@eagletreesystems.com and request an RMA? I think that we should swap the sensor in hopes that it will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Sep 25, 2009, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi Alan,

Can you email support@eagletreesystems.com and request an RMA? I think that we should swap the sensor in hopes that it will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree

Will do. Thanks!
Alan

Quick Reply