Wing to fuselage servo connections, what do you use? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sep 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
Speed Demon
GregG's Avatar
Discussion

Wing to fuselage servo connections, what do you use?


I've fiddled around a bit with dual servos in a wing being connected to the Rx both at the same time using a small 4-pin Deans connector. Any other ideas?

How about 4 and 6 servo wings? What do you use? Does someone make something just for this purpose?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2009, 11:36 PM
finger slicer
carpetbomb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG
I've fiddled around a bit with dual servos in a wing being connected to the Rx both at the same time using a small 4-pin Deans connector. Any other ideas?

How about 4 and 6 servo wings? What do you use? Does someone make something just for this purpose?

4 servos a wing = Multiplex 6pin connectors: http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=352

4 + servos a wing = DB9 connector
http://www.computercablestore.com/DB...ema_PID92.aspx

http://www.computercablestore.com/DB...ale_PID94.aspx


-
mike
Sep 16, 2009, 05:19 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
jjmouris's Avatar
I have been using the gold plated RS232 / DB9 connectors from a PC store. People warned me that they won't last and only have a connection life of 100 cycles. They are not self cleaning and so the contacts could get dirty over time.

So far so good but just to be sure i won't have any problems in future i am changing over to what the Germans are using. With thanks to Heiko for sharing this information!!!

You will want the gold plated RM 2.54 mm size and 2 wide strips. Cut them down to how many pins you need (8 for Avionik B wings). Note that these connectors have the same spacing and pin design as most RX'es.

Search for part numbers;

Male

744042 - 89

Female

741191 - 8B

On http://www.conrad.com/ in your country.

Don't think they are in the USA but i am aware the USA team pilots use the polarised Deans 6 pin connectors?! They are equal quality or better, just no more then 6 pins.

Joe
Sep 16, 2009, 08:02 AM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Rob AR's Avatar

Ashlock


Or if like me you hate soldering to tiny little plugs and prefer Crimping.

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/ashlok/AshlokInfo.html

You can go from 1 to 6 servo connectors & once you have bought your crimping machine you can then also make all your own extension/servo leads as well.

The Crimper and Ashlock connectors are probably one of the most useful tools I have bought.

Rob
Sep 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
Bro
Bro
Registered User
Bro's Avatar

RC Harness


Greg,
Or, if you are really lazy, like me, you can try these... PnP...
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/s...ategory_id=352
1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5Meter. Also in 2pc wing version as well...

Best,
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Sep 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
Deans 4-pin for 2-servos,
MPX for 4-servo.

Never had a 6-servo, so MPX work for me BUT I am considering switching to DIN for future models, and making them plug in "automatically" (too much push/pull force required to do this with the MPX plugs)..
..a
Sep 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
Flying motor mount master
fly_boy99's Avatar
I recently got some of these for a UAV project.

There are tons at www.halted.com.

Cheap too!

B


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
I have been using the gold plated RS232 / DB9 connectors from a PC store. People warned me that they won't last and only have a connection life of 100 cycles. They are not self cleaning and so the contacts could get dirty over time.

So far so good but just to be sure i won't have any problems in future i am changing over to what the Germans are using. With thanks to Heiko for sharing this information!!!

You will want the gold plated RM 2.54 mm size and 2 wide strips. Cut them down to how many pins you need (8 for Avionik B wings). Note that these connectors have the same spacing and pin design as most RX'es.

Search for part numbers;

Male

744042 - 89

Female

741191 - 8B

On http://www.conrad.com/ in your country.

Don't think they are in the USA but i am aware the USA team pilots use the polarised Deans 6 pin connectors?! They are equal quality or better, just no more then 6 pins.

Joe
Sep 16, 2009, 03:00 PM
Registered User
dogshome's Avatar
I've used Multiplex, but given a choice on future models I'd use a 9-pin D if it fits. The Multiplex are smaller. The quality is better on any D connector though.

P.S. D connectors come in several grades from 'nasty' to 'bombproof'.
Sep 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
f5b-uk
Mike Seale's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshome
P.S. D connectors come in several grades from 'nasty' to 'bombproof'.
I've never used D connectors because when I looked (many years ago) the specifications all indicated that they were manufactured for 100 or so insertions only...ie, not exactly a tight fit after time. So can you point us towards a 'bombproof' one please?

Mike
Sep 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
Back in the game
flying evader's Avatar
I bought an absolute that was built with a serial type connector for wing connector.. The wings were joined (not 2 piece). You put the wing in place, put the bolts and ready to go! not sure who did this but it's beautiful and hasn't failed after several years of abuse..
Sep 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
finger slicer
carpetbomb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying evader
I bought an absolute that was built with a serial type connector for wing connector.. The wings were joined (not 2 piece). You put the wing in place, put the bolts and ready to go! not sure who did this but it's beautiful and hasn't failed after several years of abuse..
I did something similar with my Absolute, but I used MPX connectors. When I plug the two wing halves together they're joined via an MPX connector. There's an additional MPX male connector in one of the wings. I didn't make it plug & play at the fuse, though.

I wanted the ability to have a little slop on that connection to allow more room for batteries, and to not stress that connection point.

Came out pretty good!

-
mike
Sep 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Registered User
rcelectfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
i am aware the USA team pilots use the polarised Deans 6 pin connectors?! They are equal quality or better, just no more then 6 pins.

Joe
Joe,

Deans does make connectors with more than 6 pins.

Chuck
Sep 17, 2009, 03:39 AM
Registered User
la528it's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
Joe,

Deans does make connectors with more than 6 pins.

Chuck
8 pin here:

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?cart=3078411&cat=56&
Sep 17, 2009, 07:28 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
Not all D-connectors are equal:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=20
..a
Sep 17, 2009, 04:28 PM
Registered User
jattamasso's Avatar
The Multilpex plug is hard to beat regarding servo installation. Here my Kamelot:



Hope this helps

Rui


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Do You Use For The Servo Links??? Minimole Micro Helis 5 May 12, 2005 06:01 PM
What do you use as a weighted bar for your wing core cutter ? NetForce2K Foamies (Kits) 1 Jul 26, 2002 08:27 PM
Looking for a small battery connector. What do you use ? RonJ Parkflyers 18 Jul 12, 2002 11:04 PM
What do you use most..... planematt Electric Plane Talk 4 Oct 01, 2001 11:48 AM
What do you use for an end insulator on a foam cutter? AW Power Systems 8 Jun 20, 2001 11:49 PM