Sep 14, 2009, 09:30 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
Discussion

Horton HO 229

I am thinking about building a 229 for my next project for me. I have a few Customer projects that I have to get out of the way first so it will be a month or so before I start. I figure I will use that time to ask questions and pick brains. So, has anyone built one? Mine will be 84 inches in span and use two ducted fans and retracts. Help me out guys, I need your expertise! I found a painting of a proposed night fighter version that I would like to copy.

Marion
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
Neophyte hacker
Try writing to the Horton project at Northrup Grumman. They're building a full size for testing.
Sep 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.wingsontheweb.com/
Sep 14, 2009, 10:40 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Oooh! Subscribed!

I'd like to offer some brains to pick, but I seem to be coming up short lately...

James
Sep 15, 2009, 05:38 AM
I builded two horten last year using, using my club's cnc. The first one was a simple glider to test the idea and the second is a propeller powered plane.
Both where 63 inches wing span and the second one have retract wheels and flaps.

The glider was flying well without rudder, but when I try to add engine on it, a small rudder became necessary.

It's a nice plane, very easy to fly.

Bye
Last edited by Eric.Payan; Sep 15, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Sep 15, 2009, 07:27 AM
Two left thumbs
Very nice, Eric. Will you eventually build a ducted fan version?

Your family name is very similar to that of the famous French designer of tailless aircraft, so perhaps building such models may be in your blood!
http://www.aviafrance.com/8263.htm

Geoff
Sep 15, 2009, 08:33 AM
Neophyte hacker
Ok, for the aero wizards, how can full size flying wings work without fins yet most models seem to need them?
Sep 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
There is one under construction here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791900
Sep 15, 2009, 09:08 AM
Pro Hoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Ok, for the aero wizards, how can full size flying wings work without fins yet most models seem to need them?
Most model builders dont use the correct airfoil sections and wing layout..Some do..see the above link to wings on the web..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 15, 2009, 12:30 PM
also at least four Ho 229 projects in the discussion/forum section of RCscalebuilder.com. search on H0 229. you probably need to register to search some folders.

one of the guys posting was involved in designing and building a full scale mockup of the cockpit for the NG documentary.

there's lots of good tips on how to build one that will successfully fly. There's also a number of plans available out there of differing quality and closeness to scale appearance.
Sep 15, 2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
This tiny card chuck glider, with minimal side area, flys remarkably well.

Perhaps the secret is in the planform.
Sep 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
Pro Hoarder

Gary Heathcoat

Yes that was Gary(not sure of his last name spelling)..I have his large 229 kit(still in the box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
also at least four Ho 229 projects in the discussion/forum section of RCscalebuilder.com. search on H0 229. you probably need to register to search some folders.

one of the guys posting was involved in designing and building a full scale mockup of the cockpit for the NG documentary.

there's lots of good tips on how to build one that will successfully fly. There's also a number of plans available out there of differing quality and closeness to scale appearance.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
Very nice, Eric. Will you eventually build a ducted fan version?

Geoff
The first one, after successful gliding was tested with 2 55-gws ducted fan. All the test with the engines was unsuccessful. First the plane seem to be under powered with this small fan (each give 280g thrust with brushless engine), also the fan blow seem to give aerodynamic instability.

After several try, I put a propeller in front of the wing and a small rudder and it flew perfectly. I also made a test fly with the propeller engin without the rudder and the plane was crash.

It seems to me that a powered plane need more stability than a glider.

My horten is build with a Horten 13% profile in the center section and a symmetrical horten 10% profile in the wing extremity. A negative 5° twist is apply to the extremity of the wing.

Two pictures : the glider without rudder (fly well) and the same with the two fans (crash well !).

Regards
Sep 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I have seen enough to know that the one I am wanting to build will fly. I met the guy who drew the plans at an IMAA contest a couple years ago and he had his there. He didnt fly it as the weather was terrible. I see that a kit is available for only 495.00 dollars. A little steep for me. I will scratch off of my plans. It would be a beatiful kit to build but that is like my annual model money in one poof.With the scale nose wheel it looks like a large angle of attack, will it take off ok? I have to fly my Waterman off with up or it will just head down the runway with no inclination to fly.
Marion
Sep 15, 2009, 07:28 PM
sml
sml
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptside
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I have seen enough to know that the one I am wanting to build will fly. I met the guy who drew the plans at an IMAA contest a couple years ago and he had his there. He didnt fly it as the weather was terrible. I see that a kit is available for only 495.00 dollars. A little steep for me. I will scratch off of my plans. It would be a beatiful kit to build but that is like my annual model money in one poof.With the scale nose wheel it looks like a large angle of attack, will it take off ok? I have to fly my Waterman off with up or it will just head down the runway with no inclination to fly.
Marion

You can get the all wood plans here for only $49.95.
http://yhst-14835714857193.stores.ya...en-ho-229.html

Saul

Quick Reply