Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 14, 2009, 03:19 PM
Cool

SALAMANDRA flies again - 70 years later

Hi Guys

Here you have pictures from test slope flying of the famous prewar design Salamandra. 4 consecutive flights proved crisp controls, slow speeds and the safe comfort of the pilot, allowing him to fly without the glasses commonly used in open cockpit trainers.
Salamandra was a very popular entry level glider before WWII. It has been used in countries like Greece, Turkey, China ( countries not normally aviation oriented), etc.

regards

ZM
Last edited by Smyk; Sep 15, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2009, 03:33 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
ZM That is a beautiful plane!

Did you build it from plans or did you find it and rebuild it? What kind of performance do you get out of it?

It looks like that would be an easy plane to build with modern materials and improve performance! And that space between the tail booms would be perfect for a small electric motor!
Sep 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Too cool - beautiful airplane!

Mike
Sep 14, 2009, 05:26 PM
No, you can't fly it.
That is so cool! Looks like great fun to fly..
Sep 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
Any video footage????
Sep 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
Composites Kid
Where did you get the plans for it?
Sep 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
Nice! Where did you fly it? Where was it designed and built? (I don't speak German),, :-(
Sep 14, 2009, 07:53 PM
Lawn Dart Perfection!
That is a beautiful bird. I would love to get my hands on some plans.
Sep 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
Actually I do carry precision drawings of Salamandra authored by Marian Gibas. Drawings are based on the full scale aircraft and are beautifully laid out on A1 size blueprint paper. They are not free and require you to sign a written agreement stating you have no intention of using the blueprints in commercial enterprise. I should have some extra copies available soon.

ZM

The site you see in the pictures is the Polish Wasserkippe - Bezmiechowa.
Site own by Politechnika Rzeszowska-Aviation Institute ( My Alma Matter)
I have presented this site in many occasion on this forum. Extraordinary place to fly.
Sep 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyk
...Salamandra was a very popular entry level glider before WWII. It has been used in countries like Greece, Turkey, China ( countries not normally aviation oriented), etc.
Wonderful and clever design!

I always admire this glider and now it can be seen in COLOR!!! Thanks!
It would be awesome, to see some video shots on youtube!

Salamandra was used also in pre war era in my country, Slovenia.

Here are two photos of this glider from a book Aviation and Slovenes, where Salamandra fly from slopes of Bloke, our first gliding center, established in 1934 already..

Third photo was taken near my home village, where an aeroclub was established before WW2.

I attach also a 3 view drawing that can serev some RC model scratchbuilders as a base for making a RC model.

I hope, you endorse my attachments.

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; Sep 15, 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Sep 16, 2009, 05:23 AM
Entropy is happening!

Launch

How did you launch it?

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Sep 16, 2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Sep 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello
How did you launch it?

Jim.
bungee
Don't you see rubber cords hooked up to the nose?

2-4 people to each cord and OFF the hill we go.. like old days

ZM
Sep 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

Salamandra

Alex, Ekilo..... PM me , I have plans of Salamandra .

MJ.
May 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
The pull pull cables for the elevator appear to go to the bottom of the horizontal stab. Can you explain to me how they can give up and down to the elevator. Are they connected to a bellcrank of some form inside the fin, such as a wheel, or what?

Thank you ... Fred

Quick Reply