Sep 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP
Build Log

Scientific Little Devil C/L Plane Clone

I bought a bag of Midwest balsa scraps for another project.
I notice there were just about enough of the right size wood to biuld a 'clone'
of the Scientific Little Devil.
I just happen to have a copy of the plan, took a few measurements, and started cutting, and sanding. A few hours later I had all the parts to the fuse and tail. I had the balsa sheet for the 1/8" wing so I was all set to build.

I built (assembled)the the parts today.

Now all it needs is primer and the finish coat of paint.

Stay tuned!

Daniel
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2009, 07:07 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP

Completed Build!

Here is the finish product. Build is complete, just paint and screw on the Cox motor with landing gear and bellcrank assembly.
Sep 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
Chairman, AMA Foundation
Very nice work.
Sep 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP

Bellcrank?

I was looking around my Man-Cave today for the bellcrank. For the life of me, I can't find it!
Anyone have an old Scientific bellcrank(the metal one) in the junk box?

Daniel
Sep 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
Man! I hate it when that happens!

Wish I could help, C'mon someone step up! This thing has to get airborn!

Daniel something that simple could be made with little effort. The originals were made from 1/32" thick aluminum.

You could possibly use the plastic sheet from a 1.44mb floppy case.
LT
Sep 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
I have a steady source of aluminum for small bellcranks and control horns.

Each year I have to buy new license plates for my cars so last years plates become this years model airplane parts.

Reuse beats recycle!!!

Clancy
Sep 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
Send me you address and I will send you a Perfect 1/2A metal bellcrank.
Larry
Sep 22, 2009, 05:09 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP

PM sent

Larry,

Thank you!

PM sent!

Daniel
Sep 22, 2009, 05:10 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP
LT,

Thank you!

Daniel
Sep 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Thread OP

Its Here!

Yippee! It's here!

Thank You Larry.

Larry, of Black Hawk Models, sent me bellcrank for my Little Devil clone.

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/

Now just to install it after I paint it.

Stay tuned!

Daniel
Last edited by dlazarus6660; Sep 25, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Sep 25, 2009, 11:10 PM
I am sorry, Daniel, we have been so busy here that I have not been able to check the site. I am glade that I could help out. Good luck with you model.
Larry
Sep 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
My first powered airplane was a Lil Devil with an OK Cub .049. After staring at the plans and pictures of this one, it seems to me that the fuse is a good deal taller than mine. Mine had a tapered wing ( 1/16 balsa triangles glued to the TE), and about a half inch overhang between firewall and LE of the wing. Looking at the picture on the plan bears out my memory.

What gives, Blackhawk??

howell
Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Okay I found the picture you refered to, look at the one at the top of this post, also a original Scientific Model of the Little Devil.

Walt Musciano would design a model, test fly it and send it to Scientific Models who would redesign the plane to fit into their machinery set up, then they altered it several times over the years to make it fit with lower pricing, different engines and current trends. To illistrate the amount of these changes I will use a simple basic design, the Little Bipe. Walt designed it to have 16" wing span with a 2" chord. The wings were to be 3/8" with an airfoil, the fuselage 2" x 1 1/2" x 8", the tail of 1/8" balsa. In the first year the plane conformed to thes deminsions, by year two the wings were 1/4" thick later to 1/8" and the tail was 3/32" thick. Year 5 the wing had a span of 12" a chord og 3" and a length of 7". Two years later the fuselage was 1 3/4" x 1 1/4" then a couple of years later a seperate tail block was added to a 6" long fuselage. Do you know how many times they changed the picture of this model ... never. They also moved the nose to fit the cox engines. So wich Little Bipe should I make.
If you feel that tapered trailing edges should be added use 3/32" to make them ... oh by the way we use a symectrical wing, for the Scientific one you will need a 1/16" sheet, we also make the tail of 1/8" for strength and use a 1 1/2" x 2" fuselage and better hardware and better wheels with a way to keep them on the gear (wheel collars with an allen wrench). In all our planes are far better than anything Scientific ever made.
Larry
Last edited by BLACK HAWK MOD; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Sep 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Larry; I was only trying to find out if my memory was as faulty in this area as my wife tells me it is in other matters. It is important to me because I built and had fun with so many of the old models.

howell

the picture I was referring to is the one on the plans.
Sep 27, 2009, 05:39 AM
Howell,
What threw me and my confuse others is that the plans you are refering to are on a different post (Help me find the "Little Devil") and not on this post. The plan you are referring is from a very early kit when the directions were printed in the box lid.
Larry
Last edited by BLACK HAWK MOD; Sep 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply