3D Hobby Shop 57" Extra 330 SC -Build Thread- - Page 755 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 30, 2013, 02:54 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
I was so happy to land my extra nicely after the successful maiden flight the weekend before last....so happy that I got excited and hit the fence while taxiing and broke the Falcon 15x7. Anyway, I bought 15x8 APC that's not fitting (too small) to go over the prop adaptor of my motrofly!! I thought the adapters are standard or at least small enough to go through the props...use washers for smaller holes on the props...anyway, What do you suggest? I dont want to enlarge the hole in the prop. I think that will mess up its balance. I think I should go with wood props again.
thanks.
I would just get another wood prop. I feel wood has a better feel and it also has less flex.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
Registered User
I really like the sound of the APC compared to wood especially when you do KE spins. The wood ones wont make that loud noise I think. What do you think about the carbon fiber ones?
Jan 30, 2013, 03:05 PM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Just drill it out carefully and rebalance it, or get a Xoar 15x8.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:06 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
I really like the sound of the APC compared to wood especially when you do KE spins. The wood ones wont make that loud noise I think. What do you think about the carbon fiber ones?
I have never used a carbon fiber. However the "extra sound" you here is the APC prop bending and twisting. the Xoar does not make as much because it does not flex as much. the wood will be a lot better on your motor.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:12 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer
Just drill it out carefully and rebalance it, or get a Xoar 15x8.

I dont have a balancer. So likely I will get another wood prop, likely Falcon because I hate to order a Xoar and then realized it won't fit and then I have to return it which might take me a long time to do!!
Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
I have never used a carbon fiber. However the "extra sound" you here is the APC prop bending and twisting. the Xoar does not make as much because it does not flex as much. the wood will be a lot better on your motor.
Thanks, thats good to know. So will try to order a Falcon again. Do you know where I can order the Falcons quickly? are they as good as Xoar?
Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
I dont have a balancer. So likely I will get another wood prop, likely Falcon because I hate to order a Xoar and then realized it won't fit and then I have to return it which might take me a long time to do!!
the wood props can come unbalanced also.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:15 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
Thanks, thats good to know. So will try to order a Falcon again. Do you know where I can order the Falcons quickly? are they as good as Xoar?
I have not tried a falcon yet, but I believe ADC hobby sells them. As for Xoar tower seems to have the best price for them.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
I dont have a balancer. So likely I will get another wood prop, likely Falcon because I hate to order a Xoar and then realized it won't fit and then I have to return it which might take me a long time to do!!
i THINK that xoar and falcon in 15" had the same hole... but dont take my word for it, just call the shop and ask them...
Jan 30, 2013, 03:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
Thanks, thats good to know. So will try to order a Falcon again. Do you know where I can order the Falcons quickly? are they as good as Xoar?
let me put it this way... my opinion is... on 42" slick going xoar to falcon was like meeeh....i liked xoar better... while on my 57" going from xoar to falcon, was like plane got another life!
Jan 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
Registered User
I searched aeroworks, ADC hobby and esprit models. they dont have 15x8!
Jan 30, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts
let me put it this way... my opinion is... on 42" slick going xoar to falcon was like meeeh....i liked xoar better... while on my 57" going from xoar to falcon, was like plane got another life!
Thats good to know...if I can find one.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe
I was so happy to land my extra nicely after the successful maiden flight the weekend before last....so happy that I got excited and hit the fence while taxiing and broke the Falcon 15x7. Anyway, I bought 15x8 APC that's not fitting (too small) to go over the prop adaptor of my motrofly!! I thought the adapters are standard or at least small enough to go through the props...use washers for smaller holes on the props...anyway, What do you suggest? I dont want to enlarge the hole in the prop. I think that will mess up its balance. I think I should go with wood props again.
thanks.
APC's can be easily drilled out, a drill press is best, to do this, but you can use a hand drill if needed.....and, the existing center hole of APC props are not always exactly centered. That is why they give you the plastic rings that go into them to center them. That said, for some stupid reason, the included rings are SAE sizes instead of metric, and 99.999% of our motors have metric shafts. But....APC has metric adapter rings, and I believe AeroMicro in Santa Clara has them, if not Perry can get them for you....or I even have a few.... If you want me to drill out some props for you, I would be happy to, as I do have a drill press.... You can also use a metric prop reamer, which you can get at AeroMicro.

I also have a balancer so we can balance your props.....

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Jan 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
Registered User
Hi Steve, I did enlarge the existing center hole and now it fits; Thanks.

Here is the website I found for the Falcon props if anyone needs to order; I dont think they say where in US they arre located. but I emailed them to find out where they are...

http://www.falconpropellers.com/
Jan 30, 2013, 05:01 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
quadracer's Avatar
A prop reamer works nicely. They're only about $10.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3D Hobby Shop 47" Edge 540 #BUILD VIDEOS ADDED# ipsmotors 3D Flying 3966 Sep 14, 2017 03:08 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop 57" Sukhoi sukhoi26mx Electric Plane Talk 7 Sep 17, 2008 09:33 AM
Sold NIB 3D Hobby Shop SHP Extra 300 *Blue* Version 2 thomer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 04, 2008 02:31 PM
Build Log 3D Hobby Shop 55" Katana LIVE Build Log Jeremy Sebens 3D Flying 54 Oct 12, 2007 04:39 PM