Jun 18, 2012, 06:56 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
The reason why aero-models didn't recommend the 10s is b/c at the power levels we are pushing that motor too in this plane its VERY inefficient. It gets hot, pulls a ton of power that is wasted to heat, and so on. The L version of the A-40 is a much better option for effeciency but then you have to worry about he long can and having mag strikes.

Yes I had the 10s for a short time and I agreee with Steve it's weak on output power. It pulls the right amount of power we are looking for but that just goes with my effciency statement above
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2012, 07:15 AM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
The reason why aero-models didn't recommend the 10s is b/c at the power levels we are pushing that motor too in this plane its VERY inefficient. It gets hot, pulls a ton of power that is wasted to heat, and so on. The L version of the A-40 is a much better option for effeciency but then you have to worry about he long can and having mag strikes.

Yes I had the 10s for a short time and I agreee with Steve it's weak on output power. It pulls the right amount of power we are looking for but that just goes with my effciency statement above
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. I have several friends with 59's with the A40-10S and they run hot and don't have enough power.
Jun 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
Parkzone junkie
Thanks, now this brings me back to my original question then, what can I do to make the -12s better than?

If nothing other than running 5S I guess I'll just have to save up some money and buy the lightened 4315-714 or 710 motrofly that everyone seems to like so much. It is not my first choice as I've already spent time and money on this hacker setup and I'm sure I'd have to re-drill the firewall. Would that weaken it?

-Brian
Jun 18, 2012, 07:59 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
drilling another set of holes in the fire wall isn't going to hurt a thing. Though the lightened 4315 should have the same bolt pattern as your hacker.
Jun 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Thanks, now this brings me back to my original question then, what can I do to make the -12s better than?

If nothing other than running 5S I guess I'll just have to save up some money and buy the lightened 4315-714 or 710 motrofly that everyone seems to like so much. It is not my first choice as I've already spent time and money on this hacker setup and I'm sure I'd have to re-drill the firewall. Would that weaken it?

-Brian
but strange thing is that im also running 12s on 4s 4000, it does seem a tad underpowered, i would like a tad more punch, but while on 15x7 it gets hot... if im spending most of my flight on a lot of throttle, i can barely even hold my finger on it.. maybe summer nearing i will make cooling baffles... and im thinking of trying a 16x6 instead of 15x7... i should be safe, shouldnt it?
Jun 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:

Thanks for all the responses everyone!!

What did you finally decide on?

-Brian
I went with the a40-14s on the recommendation of both aero-model and ADC. I'm running 5s. To be honest, I'm not entirely thrilled with it at this point. I'm thinking of going down to 4s. Might try propping down a bit.
Jun 18, 2012, 02:17 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
drilling another set of holes in the fire wall isn't going to hurt a thing. Though the lightened 4315 should have the same bolt pattern as your hacker.
That's good to know!! Where is the best place to purchase one? I've never had one before.

-Brian
Jun 18, 2012, 02:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
That's good to know!! Where is the best place to purchase one? I've never had one before.

-Brian
The only place to buy Motrolfly motors in the U.S. is SubsonicPlanes.com

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Jun 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Got the Slickness
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. I have several friends with 59's with the A40-10S and they run hot and don't have enough power.
Including my 59" Slick that I sold to a friend. The motor finally burnt up in under a year, and in cool weather.

Go Motrofly....
Jun 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Hey fellers. Just jumped in and havent really read much of this thread as Im getting caught up on the other 3dhs threads im subscribed to. Just wondering what the preferred setup is,,possibly Motrol 4315-780?
Jun 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Hey fellers. Just jumped in and havent really read much of this thread as Im getting caught up on the other 3dhs threads im subscribed to. Just wondering what the preferred setup is,,possibly Motrol 4315-780?
For 4S....4315-714 is more than sufficient...

SteveT
Last edited by SteveT.; Jun 18, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Jun 18, 2012, 06:58 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
I assume you mean 4315-714
Jun 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
That's what it says......

Thank you....

SteveT
Jun 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Also,,,,,does anyone even carry the Reaper motors anymore? I would really like the reaper gr45 for this bird

LOL Thanks Steve
Jun 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Also,,,,,does anyone even carry the Reaper motors anymore? I would really like the reaper gr45 for this bird
No longer made....

That said... I have five Reaper GR-60s and one Reaper GR-60A (or at least one that took a larger prop to get the proper power)... Love them!!

SteveT

Quick Reply