3D Hobby Shop 57" Extra 330 SC -Build Thread- - Page 620 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
I try and throw my packs on the charger once every 2-3 weeks just to cycle them - charge, and discharge
i liked my idea better
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
well duh.....

....I would too, but for some unknown reason it doesn't always work out that way
Jan 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
well duh.....

....I would too, but for some unknown reason it doesn't always work out that way
you need a sign for your shop and website that says
"Gone flying..be back...maybe"
Jan 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
I've tried

doesn't go over well
Jan 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
I've tried

doesn't go over well
they hunt you down dont they?
Jan 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered User
BOBBY1017's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
I try and throw my packs on the charger once every 2-3 weeks just to cycle them - charge, and discharge
I thought that if they were stored at the correct voltage they would be ok.
Jan 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Luv3d's Avatar
Bummed to hear your experience, Bobby. I have the good fortune to fly relatively frequently, so my charge/discharge cycles are much mo' frequent. I have never had a problem like what you ran into. I am curious what the expected amp draw is on those packs. What brand, mAh and C rating are they?
Jan 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Registered User
BOBBY1017's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d
Bummed to hear your experience, Bobby. I have the good fortune to fly relatively frequently, so my charge/discharge cycles are much mo' frequent. I have never had a problem like what you ran into. I am curious what the expected amp draw is on those packs. What brand, mAh and C rating are they?
Forty F-ing Niners all the way!!

The packs are Rhino 3700mah, 25c so they should put out approx 92a, as I had posted earlier, in 12-2010 they were putting out 74a with the 14 x 7.

On 12-21-2010 my dog was hit by a car which required many $ and approx 4 months that she couldn't walk without carrying her back end in a sling. She was always with me to fly so it was hard to go without her. At the same time I was involved in putting a pool in at my house so my flying time was eliminated. Prior to this I would fly every day sometimes twice since I have a paved runway on my property.

So last December I used my Hyperion to place all my pack at storage voltage, they sat in my barn until approx 1 / 2 weeks ago when I decided I wanted to resume flying. The barn temp ranges from approx 80 deg max for a few days in the summer to a minimum of approx 45 min for a few of the coldest days, the avg is prob about 65deg. Two of the Rhino's had approx 50 cycles on them purchased 10-2009, two were never used purchased 11-2010.

On Friday I made sure all were at approx 80 deg and tested them all with the 15 x 8 prop. The amp draw for all 4 was between 58a & 60a (one of the unused ones was 60a), min voltage was 15.1 or more up to 15.3. I also had a XPS 4000 mah purchased in 2009 that had the same results. It seems strange that they would all be so close to the same performance, it would seem that the unused ones should be better. I wonder if they were used more consistently if they would have lasted longer? I was very happy with the performance when they were new for approx $40 ea. Think it would be worth buying the $100+ lipos or just buy new Rhinos every year?
Last edited by BOBBY1017; Jan 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Jan 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
lammbn's Avatar
I have had 15+ batteries from 6s 5000mah turnigy's to 3s 2200mah gens aces and everything in between that stayed good for 15 months of sitting at storage charge of 3.8v a cell. I had them sitting in an ammo can in my storage unit the whole time while i was in iraq. I cycled each one to full charge and down to 3.1 volts and then back to full again before use. It took some time but they all seem to be working fine. Still get good pull out of my 6s 5000mah 20c packs on my 71 slick. I think the cycle process helped but the gens ace packs seemed to survive a bit better than their turnigy exact same equivilant.
Jan 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
nov
nov
Garage sale junkie
nov's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn
I have had 15+ batteries from 6s 5000mah turnigy's to 3s 2200mah gens aces and everything in between that stayed good for 15 months of sitting at storage charge of 3.8v a cell. I had them sitting in an ammo can in my storage unit the whole time while i was in iraq. I cycled each one to full charge and down to 3.1 volts and then back to full again before use. It took some time but they all seem to be working fine. Still get good pull out of my 6s 5000mah 20c packs on my 71 slick. I think the cycle process helped but the gens ace packs seemed to survive a bit better than their turnigy exact same equivilant.
Thank you for your service protecting all of us!
Jan 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
lammbn's Avatar
Thank you for your support :-)
Jan 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
RC Pilot / Photographer
-= GYRO =-'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn
thank you for your support :-)
+1!
Jan 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
Registered User
BOBBY1017's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn
the whole time while i was in iraq.
Kind of makes my reasons seem pretty lame...
Jan 15, 2012, 11:59 PM
RC Pilot / Photographer
-= GYRO =-'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY1017
Kind of makes my reasons seem pretty lame...
Nah... It's an all volunteer service. Nobody forced us in...
Jan 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
lammbn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66
Nah... It's an all volunteer service. Nobody forced us in...
Exactly. My own dumb @$$ signed the paperwork.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3D Hobby Shop 47" Edge 540 #BUILD VIDEOS ADDED# ipsmotors 3D Flying 3966 Sep 14, 2017 02:08 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop 57" Sukhoi sukhoi26mx Electric Plane Talk 7 Sep 17, 2008 08:33 AM
Sold NIB 3D Hobby Shop SHP Extra 300 *Blue* Version 2 thomer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 04, 2008 01:31 PM
Build Log 3D Hobby Shop 55" Katana LIVE Build Log Jeremy Sebens 3D Flying 54 Oct 12, 2007 03:39 PM