Oct 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
Tim,

Congrats on the plane. What's the other one your setting up. I agree on the rolling manuevers. I have been flying mine without sfgs and love it. I think I am going to put them back on and try them out again.
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2009, 04:55 AM
ModemMisuser
Let's talk packs for this plane. I usually go with Flightmax or Rhino packs - love em, and especially love the cost. Which size/C-rating have people found to be a good match for this airframe? I need to get some on order.
Oct 26, 2009, 07:00 AM
Timelord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
Sun Flower
Sorry Tim but that is funny!
Oct 26, 2009, 07:14 AM
What would lonelasso do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig
Let's talk packs for this plane. I usually go with Flightmax or Rhino packs - love em, and especially love the cost. Which size/C-rating have people found to be a good match for this airframe? I need to get some on order.
Depends on your motor choice. I've been very happy with 4S 3600 in my 55" SHP but in my 55" Edge that I have setup light (GR-45) I use 4S 3000. These are all Zippy/Flightmax and 20C.
Oct 26, 2009, 07:19 AM
ModemMisuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61
Depends on your motor choice. I've been very happy with 4S 3600 in my 55" SHP but in my 55" Edge that I have setup light (GR-45) I use 4S 3000. These are all Zippy/Flightmax and 20C.
Ah - true - I'd be going GR-60.
Oct 26, 2009, 08:03 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Congrats Tim. Looks great and can't wait to see a video.
Mine weighs 5 lbs and is still floaty.

Cory
Oct 26, 2009, 08:13 AM
Tyler,

After watching your video I got out the RealFlight sim yesterday and started working on my high alpha manuevers. Your flying is just awesome. I have been stuck in the hover, inverted flight, and basic aerobatics rut for a couple of seasons. I have to learn harrier better and figure out rolls and inverted in a harrier. That looks so cool. I am thinking I better start on the sim because I don't seem to push myself otherwise.

Nice flying!
Oct 26, 2009, 08:17 AM
What would lonelasso do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig
Ah - true - I'd be going GR-60.
I suggest 4S 3500-4000mah range with the GR-60.
Oct 26, 2009, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
sun.flyer

Tim
Tim, sorry about that. My fingers were on another planet then my head. Talk about a typo that really changes ones handle.

Anyway, could you tell me why you went with this type of setup instead of a "more traditional" 4 cell type setup.

Carlo
Oct 26, 2009, 08:53 AM
Lets Make a Deal
Quote:
Ok, so with a GR-60 a 4S 20C works good and we are just looking at weight vs flight time with the 3500-4000mah.

I was also wondering about 2S vs 4S. I have a couple packs that lost one cell which got me to thinking about going with 2S, then it will not take out a 4S pack if I loose one cell and I could also use these packs as a 6S setup in my 55" SHP with the GR-60A (can we say hold onto your hat)

Thanks
Rob
Oct 26, 2009, 08:56 AM
ModemMisuser
Quote:
Well yeah - I was more wanting specific pack recommendations as far as size/weight and such. HC has a LOT of packs in that range. The model specs an 85A speed control, so 15C and I would think a lot of lower-cap 20C packs are not suited.
Oct 26, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hi all...

I'm contemplating getting this plane. I have 8 x 6S 2600-3000mAh packs that I fly in a 12S heli... looking for plank I can use the same packs in.

What would be a power and efficient setup for this thing on these packs? Would I be better with the 51" Slick or is this the ticket?

FWIW... I am an adept airplane 3D pilot too... I have a 100cc 3D machine, but getting sick of carrying it.

FWIW I did search the thread, but found scattered 6S info and no testamonials from anyone who had been flying it much.
Oct 26, 2009, 09:27 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
Tim, sorry about that. My fingers were on another planet then my head. Talk about a typo that really changes ones handle.

Anyway, could you tell me why you went with this type of setup instead of a "more traditional" 4 cell type setup.

Carlo
NP

A couple of reasons I went with my current setup. First and for most I had the equipment on hand and available to me. Secondly, I wanted a plane that would not get blown around as much in windy condtions and I knew that if I went with a light weight 4s setup that this would be the case.

I think that if your looking for the ultimate light weight setup that a 4s setup is the way to go.............however I'm looking for a little more out of this plane and wanted to be able to fly it comfortably in winds 10-15 mph without having to fight the plane to maintain a solid track.

I flew my orginal 55" SHP on 5s 4000mah packs with great success and it had gobs of power on the Torque 4014/570 while still feeling very light on the wing. My 57" SC is flying at only a few ounces more that my original 55" SHP and I'm flying on 40 sq. in. more of wing area than my 55" SHP. My cubic wing loading on my 57" SC is 8.2 which puts it right above the wing loading of most trainers.

I think this just proves how versitile this airframe is and how excepting it is to different power plants and battery setups. If you like light and floaty, super easy 3D then 4s is the ticket. If you like the capability to handle a little more wind, awesome power to weight performance, and still easy to 3D, then a 5s and yes even some 6s setups might just work.

I love this hobby!!!

sun.flyer
Oct 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
Congrats Tim! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I put 3 packs through mine today too. I am so impressed with this frame. I keep saying this, but I am not as good of a pilot as this plane shows. It is rock solid on everything. I am now getting completely comfortable with it. I flew the 42 slick after wards and it felt loose and twitchy. I don't think i am going to buy anymore planes under 50". I love the way the bigger ones act on the sticks. Really makes me want a bigger version of my former favorite- the Velox. Big Vyper also catches my eye b/c the 46" Vyp is solid too. who knows whats next????

Matt

Oh, Tim... btw, nice vinyl placement and pics

Thanks Matt, I'm headed out to fly it this afternoon.

Tim
Oct 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Sorry Tim but that is funny!

Let's see how would Manta1 type this...........

hehe.....hehe....hehe

Something like that I think.

Tim

Quick Reply