3D Hobby Shop 57" Extra 330 SC -Build Thread- - Page 151 - RC Groups
Feb 01, 2010, 11:50 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Hoffman motors weren't cheap when they were in production. I read quite a bit thinking I might try one, but I saw some data that suggested fairly poor efficiency with the smaller motors. The windings all looked pristine though--as if they were hand wound.

I'm also finding those prices at Tower are hard to resist.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Feb 01, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2010, 03:47 PM
Save your money. I had one in a 64mm F4 and it pulled too many amps and watts but didnt do anything for extra speed. A Dons of the same Kv gave me longer flights. I got only 2mins on a 2200 3S with the Hoffman.
Feb 01, 2010, 04:43 PM
Luvin' Life
Man... having the wing rotate would make me cringe. Glad to hear it was worse.

Blessings,

Jay
Feb 01, 2010, 04:52 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer

Blessings,

Jay
Feb 01, 2010, 05:20 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer

Blessings,

Jay
You can't really control it- it goes into a flat spin. I tried elevator and gave a little throttle to pull the nose up. Still was pretty bad.

I am sick about checking stuff like that. All it takes is missing it 1 time to crush things.
Feb 01, 2010, 05:21 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Glad to hear it was worse.
I knew what he meant.
Feb 01, 2010, 07:40 PM
Luvin' Life
Oh dang! There is spell check but no TYPE check

I'm very glad to hear it wasn't worse

I hope it won't take much to get her looking like new again.

Blessings,

Jay
Feb 01, 2010, 08:23 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
I knew what he meant.
I knew that you knew what he knew about knowing who knew

Feb 01, 2010, 08:33 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
You can't really control it- it goes into a flat spin. I tried elevator and gave a little throttle to pull the nose up. Still was pretty bad.

I am sick about checking stuff like that. All it takes is missing it 1 time to crush things.
I have the perfect thing to help stop that kind of thing, but I get in trouble if I post it here....

So I sent you a PM....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Feb 01, 2010, 09:18 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
secrets secrets are no fun!

Bad news for me, I got the wrong motor for my Extra! ARgh. No one to blame but myself. too quick to select. Oh well, if anyone is looking for a heavy 3S motor I have one for sale!
Feb 01, 2010, 09:19 PM
Fear is the mind killer
thx
Feb 01, 2010, 09:22 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Quote:
I found out yesterday exactly how long a plane will stay in the air when you fly violently without one of the wing lugs installed...

about 2 minutes.

Forgot to lug the right wing, luckily it was only about 10' and did a flat spin, broke the motor box and forward most bulkhead. busted the canopy too.

Regards,
Bonehead
Been there........hated it........ friggin $0.20 part I forgot to screw in killed my Slick. like driving with a pit bull on your car tire....tons of noise and bad outcome
Feb 02, 2010, 03:23 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge

Maiden

Just got back from maidening my SC. I was worried after an unfortunate incident that devastated my SHP first thing this morning but all went well.

I can't say I flew the crap out of it because, well...because I can't. This plane is way beyond me. The crap stayed in the plane and the plane stayed in one piece. So I can't make any critical evaluation of the plane's performance, but I can say that I'm very, very happy.

After trimming I did some basic stuff--loops, snap rolls, avalanches, hammerheads, KE's--just to feel it out. It KE'd super nice on low rates and lots of throttle. No tuck and no coupling whatsoever. Slower KE's on high rates gave me a wee bit of tuck to the canopy but still no appreciable roll. Then I put it through the few 3D moves I can do confidently: elevator, harrier, blender, KE spin and a few flips of a waterfall. Elevators and harriers were 100% rock free. Very smooth.

Now I probably have to put this thing away until I learn to fly better.

Back to fixing my SHP.

kendall
Feb 02, 2010, 03:32 PM
ADC Vinyl
Congrats
Feb 02, 2010, 05:34 PM
Luvin' Life
Good to hear the maiden went well with the SC. Sorry to hear about the SHP though, that's one plane I want to always have in my fleet.