KIESELBURG FOREST PRESERVE FLYERS (Roscoe IL) - Page 383 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2017, 10:15 PM
Does anyone knows what mph the wind sock is? Just curious.
Jay
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2017, 07:42 AM
Yakkity Yak IMAC is back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stik Flyer
Jay
The faster the wind blows, the straighter and more horizontally the wind extends. As per FAA standards a 15-knot (28 km/h; 17 mph) wind will fully extend the properly functioning windsock. A 3-knot (5.6 km/h; 3.5 mph) breeze will cause the properly functioning windsock to orient itself according to the wind.

The stripes are actually useful:

The first stripe indicates a 3-knot breeze
(The wind sock has turned and aligned with the wind - usually you should look for an anemometer near the wind sock to determine if there's any appreciable wind because often the first segment is held open by the frame.)
The second stripe is ~ 6 knots
The third stripe is ~ 9 knots
The fourth stripe is ~ 12 knots
The last stripe is 15 knots or higher
If the windsock is missing you probably shouldn't be at the airport.
If the pole is missing you're probably on your way to Oz.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:09 PM
KB is the place to be!

windsock mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stik Flyer
Jay
Hi Big Stik, from being out at the field many times, when the sock is almost straight out it's about 10 mph wind. When it's about half way out it's about 5 mph wind. That's about as close as I can say. Hope that helps you.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjy
Hi Big Stik, from being out at the field many times, when the sock is almost straight out it's about 10 mph wind. When it's about half way out it's about 5 mph wind. That's about as close as I can say. Hope that helps you.
Yes that does help. I've been sort of doing the same thing. I can't get back to flying yet so I've been going out to watch the sock and check my weather app for wind speed. I've been guessing the sock is a 10 -15 mph sock. Once I get my Big Stik built I'll worry less about the wind.
Nov 12, 2017, 10:48 AM
Dick says, just fly it
Sunny and low winds tomorrow morning. Dress warm, get in a couple flights, and go for breakfast! It don’t get no better than that!
Nov 12, 2017, 06:29 PM
Dick says, just fly it
Bummer ! Myself, I’m going to pass on tomorrow morning. Looking like fog now!