Sep 09, 2009, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Honey Bee FP V2 Problem, Help Please

Hello,

I just got my Honey Bee FP V2 in the mail today. It is my first heli. I followed Nuttcaze's setup videos to set up my honey bee and everything looked to be in order, but I am having a problem. From the first time I tried it out, on spin up the tail wants to spin to the left, and when I go to correct it the motor slows and and if I press the stick all the way left it almost stops and its like I can't keep the tail from drifting left? Am I just making a newbie mistake or is there something wrong? I thought maybe it was the proportion but I adjusted it and it didn't seem to make any difference really. While we are on that note, how much are you supposed to turn the proportion control(i have to press in a little bit on mine to get it to turn, using tiny eyeglass screwdriver anyone got any suggestions?). So my tail is going to the left and besides adjusting the gain shouldn't I just be able to compensate with stick? But when I compensate with stick the tail motor bogs?

Kind of have a feeling I am making a mistake.

Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Okay,

I just looked again and want to post this so as to make sure my lack of knowledge of the terminology doesn't get in the way.

When I am spinning up. The tail moves to the left. I pressed the left stick on the controller towards the left and it can almost stop the heli from spinning but the tail motor is barely spinning. If I press the left stick on the controller to the right, the tail motor will spin really fast and the tail will go right very quickly.
Sep 09, 2009, 09:57 PM
hi Trinot

first of all, gongratulations on the new heli

i just ordered mine and it's on the way

from what you're saying, the rotor is turning the wrong way. it should turn clockwise if you look from above . to fix it you should reverse the motor wire on the receiver.

i've never flown helis befor but i saw the same problem at another post. "TOO EXCITED"
Sep 09, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Okay maybe I can make some more since of this.

When I turn the gain all the way to + the tail moves to the left. When I turn the gain all the way to - the tail moves to the right. Either way, when I press right on the left joystick the tail motor spins real fast and pushes the tail to the left. But when I go to turn right(push the stick to the left), the tail motor doesn't seem to spin hardly at all and im thinking it might actually be bogging the main motor(that might just be my imagination)?

So it seems like my left turn with tail motor feature is broken? lol I am such a n00b
Sep 09, 2009, 10:16 PM
Mine stops the tail rotor from spinning too if I go left on the throttle stick. I figured that's the way it should be, as the helicopter seems to always want to go a certain way, and by spinning the tail rotor you just counter act that.
Sep 09, 2009, 10:40 PM
from what i read, it seems the tail will tend to go right (heli rotates counterclockwise) as an effect of the torque from the main motor. so when you turn the rudder stick full left the tail motor just shuts and lets the torque do its work.

so you need to check that the main rotor is turning clockwise first.
Sep 09, 2009, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
I played with the proportion some. I have the tail more under control, I think the proportion was turned all the way up to start with and I have it almost all the way down now. I gotta keep telling myself to take it slow and stick with radds school of flight. I have got holding the tail mastered and I think im on my way with the cyclic controls. Yay!
Sep 09, 2009, 11:01 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Excited for you Trinot.

All normal mate. Learn to work around it. And put your 3x1 pots back where they were, those are for airborne adjustment, not ground.

I take it you are doing Radd's. So did I. It definitely works. Reveals surprises like yours without busting anything. There's nothing wrong with your aircraft. That's just the way tailmotors work.
Sep 09, 2009, 11:14 PM
My other addiction!
Your hbfp tail has a fixed pitch prop. The only way it can cause a left or right turn is by speeding up or slowing down the motor. When your main rotor speed is lower than hover speed, there is barely enough torque to move the tail, and to counteract this, the tail motor will often slow to a complete stop. This won't happen once you get close to hovering speed. As a tip, always fly the nose of the heli, not the tail. That's how your controls are set, left on the stick turns the nose left, right turns the nose right. Normal torque on clockwise spinning blades make the heli try to turn left. When adjusting the proportional, you need the gain turned down, and you need to unplug and then plug in the battery after each adjustment. Otherwise the proportional doesn't reset to your adjustment.
Sep 09, 2009, 11:21 PM
So I was kind of right?

w00t

On the subject of Radd's, is there a version that is strictly instructional without the quirky humor thrown in? I understand what he is doing but I learn much better when it's just the instructions and little else. Maybe his shortened version is like that?
Sep 10, 2009, 06:05 AM
Few tips.
- Get training gear. The kind that is carbon rods and ping pong balls. This will save you crashes when you're in the learning to take off and hopping around stage.
- Practice on a smooth surface. Grass seems like a good idea because its soft. But if you don't take off straight away, you'll probably tip over. You want something like a wood floor if you're indoors or smooth cement / pavement if you're outdoors. Stay away from carpet too.
- Take it slow. You can practice all the controls without having to leave the ground if you have training gear and are on a smooth surface. You can slide around with the heli light on its skids and practice. Its hard because you're fighting the turbulance with the ground, but you will learn the controls.
- Get a simulator if you want. They can help train your thumbs. Its also something to do while you wait for spare parts to come in the mail or while your battery charges. There are lots of sims to choose from. From free to US$200.
Sep 10, 2009, 06:33 AM
For the sim, don't go crazy and get a super high end one day one. Get a cheap / free one and see if you like it and actually use it. I find that I hardly ever use the sim and prefer to just go fly. My "sim" is trying new stuff on my "beater" helis. There are others out there like me.
Sep 10, 2009, 11:03 AM
dze
dze
i'll push myself harder in the sim and break into new moves and speed it up to the point im losing it. for me i just seem to advance quicker using the sim. i can fly everyday for a week and almost do no sim and it just doesnt seem like i get very much further, smooth out what i got maybe, but i know one thing .. i rarely crash a real model anymore and know where my limits are. I wouldnt want to be testing my limits on the real models on a regular basis because i know i dozer it in the sim when i do that. But to each their own and what works for you and keeps you motivated is what you should do.
Feb 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli
When adjusting the proportional, you need the gain turned down, and you need to unplug and then plug in the battery after each adjustment. Otherwise the proportional doesn't reset to your adjustment.
Aha!!!! I wondered why the heli was not responding to the adjustments I was making and then swinging the opposite way on the next pack!!! They really shoud make this clear in the instructions. Thanks goodness for forums.

Quick Reply