View Poll Results: People who ask us should be told...
"Yes, it's a good idea." 141 50.18%
"No, it's a bad idea." 140 49.82%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 08, 2009, 07:16 PM
Registered Taranis User
Poll

Should we advise people to use Lithium-Polymer batteries in their transmitters?

When people ask us if they should use LiPo cells in their radios, should we tell them "yes" or "no"? Is it a good idea or a bad idea?
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2009, 09:31 PM
I always recommend that people check with, and follow their manufacturer's recommendations. Who are we to go against a manufacturer's recommendations? I certainly wouldn't want to be held accountable for giving bad advice and a TX is critical piece of equipment.

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Lastly, I don't see what all the rage is either. Buy an extra pack for your TX or get a better charger and charge at the field. I have multiple TX batteries and swap one out at the field when necessary.
Sep 08, 2009, 10:25 PM
GPT
GPT
I went to 3 cell lipo in my JR2610 2 years ago no problems.
Sep 08, 2009, 10:58 PM
characters welcome!
My
Lipo in a tx - an answer looking for a question.
Use whatever makes you feel like you know what you're doing.

mw
Sep 08, 2009, 11:20 PM
AMA # L576
My answer would depend on if I had any experience with the model of radio the person is asking about. Neither one of the poll questions is absolutely correct. It might just be a bad idea depending on the maximum voltage a radio can handle.
Sep 09, 2009, 12:22 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Honestly, what's the point? When the energy density of NiCad/NiMhs is nowadays above 2600mAh per AA cell, why bother? Heck, even my old, rusty Hitec Lazer 4 Tx can last 2-3 hours on its stock (800mAh I think) NiMh battery on a full charge. Besides the "because I can" excuse, what's the advantage? Seems to me, the risks far outweigh the benefits, especially when taking newbies into account.

That said, this is all well and good until Tx manufacturers start designing and producing LiPo or Lion powered Tx's. When they become as trouble-free as cellphones, then there won't be much discussion in this regard I think. But until then, why "fix" what ain't broke?

There's my two cents.
Sep 09, 2009, 12:23 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
there's 2 more choices needed...

C) Depends on the radio

D) No point using LiPo, just use Eneloops or other low self-discharge NiMh.

Its not bright to stick LiPo in a JR X9303 or a Spektrum DX7. The LiPo can damage the radio and void your warrantee. (not to mention potentially causing the loss of control of a model in flight)

Some Futaba radios are specificly rated for 3S LiPo...

with the 2 choices provided in the poll... I was forced to vote no. But its dependant on the radio as to if its OK to use them... and the relatively recent development of low self discharge NiMh gives a better option for many radios.
Last edited by fhhuber506771; Sep 09, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Sep 09, 2009, 03:56 AM
Frequent Flyer
I'd vote for the high-capacity Nimh. They will significantly increase transmitting time and can be charged with the Nicad charger. I think a lipo is overkill in this application.
Sep 09, 2009, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest
I'd vote for the high-capacity Nimh. They will significantly increase transmitting time and can be charged with the Nicad charger. I think a lipo is overkill in this application.
I didn't see your answer choice in the poll?

"Yes, it's a good idea."
"No, it's a bad idea."
Sep 09, 2009, 05:31 AM
Southern Pride
Use Sanyo Eneloops, Ray O Vac hybrids or other high quality LSD Ni Mh .

Charles
Sep 09, 2009, 06:03 AM
A man with too many toys
The problem is that you should charge LiPo batteries in a fire proof container. You have to remove the battery for every charge or make a fireproof compartment in your transmitter.

My Futaba transmitters with NiCad or NiMh have almost 3 hours of on time so I donít see why you need more. For those long weekends away from home I fly several transmitters so itís not a problem to charge one while I am flying other.

LiPo Ė itís just not worth the risk.
Sep 09, 2009, 06:04 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest
Thatís definitely the best solution.

Sep 09, 2009, 07:05 AM
jrb
jrb
Neither -- always YMMV; and, only if you're careful/capable!

I do w/diode in JR 9303 (72 & w/2.4 Spek Module); my freind in 2.4 JR 9303 w/o diode -- both of us since early this spring.
Sep 09, 2009, 07:24 AM
I voted yes. If you are careful with lipos, why would you be careless when used with a Tx?

Challenger413
Sep 09, 2009, 07:55 AM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
If you are careful with lipos, why would you be careless when used with a Tx?
Because happens. Why complicate matters when simple solutions exist? (Eneloop, Ray-o-Vac, etc.)

mw