Thread Tools
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:47 PM
toesup is offline
Find More Posts by toesup
USA'd ex Brit
toesup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
I ended up paying someone to tidy up my plugs and make the moulds
I can understand that Nick..

There have been a couple of times i felt like boxing up the whole lot and sending it to Der Kap...

But i stuck (literally) with it and achieved something...

Have another go Nick, there is a lot of satisfaction in seeing the (half) finished article...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:50 PM
Aerominded is offline
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Registered User
You've done great, Toes! good for you for 'sticking" with it! especially the last few hours of the process!

Now you can start a fleet... and each one will get easier!
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:51 PM
dnchvs is offline
Find More Posts by dnchvs
Registered User
the worst part about it is when you think your all done with the glass or the bondo and you see another defect and u gotta start all over it just brings you way down
i just found out when i had to repair/modify a heavily dameged tug hull that i will be starting soon
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:12 AM
mb1387 is offline
Find More Posts by mb1387
Registered User
I have been messing with my first glass small hyro, not as easy as it looks I think you have done a great job looks really good to me
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:07 AM
der kapitan is offline
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
der kapitan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
You've done great, Toes! good for you for 'sticking" with it! especially the last few hours of the process!

Now you can start a fleet... and each one will get easier!
Ahhh, Aerominded---. Will you be stepping up to the plate and try your hand at it next?
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:58 AM
BOZINATOR is offline
Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
In The Sorrano Triangle
BOZINATOR's Avatar
It does look lik Noah's Ark here..I just got tired of telling you how great you are...I know you are tired of hearing it
Good Luck on your new found friend
I am going back to the springers now
jim

Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:21 AM
Shaun Hendricks is offline
Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
3 Blades to the Wind
Shaun Hendricks's Avatar
In talking with Toes about this project, I could tell he was really excited about it. The picture of the Kort Nozzles don't do them justice. They are gorgeous! I tried to talk him into not painting them, the woodwork is that beautiful. I've been biting my tongue waiting for him to release all the info.

For those of you unlucky enough not to have met or see Toes work up close, you have my deepest sympathy. The man's got 'skillz'.

(You can tell when someone is so wrapped up in their project by when something goes wrong with it and they get all upset. Listening to Toes describe his 'cracks in the glass' incident with the plug he still got upset even weeks after it happened. This project is truely a labor of love. It'd be worth a $1000.00 knowing how much of a perfectionist Toes is.)
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:12 PM
toesup is offline
Find More Posts by toesup
USA'd ex Brit
toesup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
when something goes wrong with it and they get all upset. Listening to Toes describe his 'cracks in the glass' incident with the plug he still got upset even weeks after it happened.
For those of you that hav'nt tried this 'glass' stuff...

These are a couple of the problems along the way...

Leaving you newly primer'd plug out in the sunshine to dry, to discover a 2" long crack in the paint / glass... Yes, foam DOES expand..

and..

This is what happens when polyester Glass resin meets foam.. I forgot to mask off the unpainted areas of the plug.
Fortunately, the plug (painted area i needed) was undamaged...
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:44 PM
Massey is offline
Find More Posts by Massey
Drydock Captian
Massey's Avatar
Nice looking hull Toes. I like the design I hope it does well in the water too.

Massey
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:00 PM
Jerome Morris is offline
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Registered User
Jerome Morris's Avatar
I like it. She could be a very powerful tug when your done and in the water.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:40 PM
der kapitan is offline
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
der kapitan's Avatar
Toes, you were extremely lucky that you had a good barrier separating that styrofoam from the resin---.

One small spot left open, and your results would have been far different than those that you did get---.

There is nothing wrong with using foam to create a plug, as long as it's the proper foam---.

Urethane foam is the right stuff.

Styrofoam isn't---.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:48 PM
keith S is offline
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
In talking with Toes about this project, I could tell he was really excited about it. The picture of the Kort Nozzles don't do them justice. They are gorgeous! I tried to talk him into not painting them, the woodwork is that beautiful. I've been biting my tongue waiting for him to release all the info.

For those of you unlucky enough not to have met or see Toes work up close, you have my deepest sympathy. The man's got 'skillz'.

(You can tell when someone is so wrapped up in their project by when something goes wrong with it and they get all upset. Listening to Toes describe his 'cracks in the glass' incident with the plug he still got upset even weeks after it happened. This project is truely a labor of love. It'd be worth a $1000.00 knowing how much of a perfectionist Toes is.)
I agree after he showed a few of us at Foss Cup the work he has done on the sub assenbelies for this prodject. Photos have not done them justice.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:05 PM
Aerominded is offline
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Ahhh, Aerominded---. Will you be stepping up to the plate and try your hand at it next?
Been there, done that... almost wound up in divorce court!

But if nice weather holds, and I can do this outside, away from windows....
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:38 PM
toesup is offline
Find More Posts by toesup
USA'd ex Brit
toesup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Been there, done that... almost wound up in divorce court!
I cant believe that Mr Aero had a 'Muffy' incident....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=muffy
Old Sep 09, 2009, 06:05 PM
Aerominded is offline
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Registered User
LOL!!!

Yes!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midwest "the Harbor Tug" plans for trade helifan Scale Boats 2 Oct 09, 2016 04:55 PM
Question Atalntic harbor tug propellor cpd32 Dock Talk 2 Dec 30, 2009 11:54 PM
Build Log Ocean/Harbor Tug Based on Fiberglass Hull off eBay not_in_houston Scale Boats 53 Nov 12, 2007 11:27 AM
Discussion My harbor tug, in the making tugboatken Scale Boats 13 Nov 26, 2006 08:48 PM
Alert Midwest's "The Harbor Tug" ? helifan Scale Boats 17 May 07, 2005 11:11 PM