Sep 06, 2009, 11:22 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Build Log

Cardboard P-40 Warhawk 66-Inch

Here is my soon-to-be 64 inch P-40 Warhawk made of cardboard. Yes, corrugated cardboard. Not much but a bare fuselage (bare-frame if you will), but it only took about 2 hours of work to get here.

This is not my first cardboard airplane, and alot of other people have built from cardboard over the years, but I found cardboard virtues to rise above blue FFF which I normally use.

Due to its lightweight, Fan Fold Foam is tempting to use, but I have found it fails due to fatigue alot faster than other building materials. Cardboard, while not as light, holds up much better to repeated flight cycles, and much of my building nowadays is in cardboard.

And it's a FAST build. In one full day, I could complete the fuselage, tail and wings. In another day, I could mount the motor, install servos and radio. Heck, for a belly lander, I could be RTF in 2 days.

This will take a biiiiiit longer, though I am still not having landing gear. She will be launched from a wheeled trolley and land on her belly. More on that later. For now, enjoy some pics from day one.

Barrett
Last edited by greenseaships; Sep 07, 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added 2 inches to the wingspan!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2009, 12:16 AM
PSALM 14:1
Very creative!
Sep 07, 2009, 01:42 AM
Excuse me , I speak Jive...
At least you would not need to put it in a box to ship it..... J/K

Keep it up . Very neat idea.
Sep 07, 2009, 01:52 AM
Keepin an eye on this one.
Sep 07, 2009, 02:29 AM
subscribed

Might I ask how you tapered the cowling like that? I'm not sure how you go about rounding the cardboard so well.
Sep 07, 2009, 06:48 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
This is fascinating!

Presumably there are formers inside???
Sep 07, 2009, 07:48 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
That... actually...looks amazing!
Nice work.
Sep 07, 2009, 08:20 AM
If it flies, I crash it!

Chuck Felton designs?

Hey Barrett,

Nice build! I've always wanted to try this model with that material, AKA Chuck Felton.

Chuck Felton you ask?

Check out his web site, been around for years. Love his stuff and yours.
I'll be watchin' this build.
Take notes,make plans and have fun.

Daniel

http://www.feltondesignanddata.com/
Sep 07, 2009, 02:16 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Hey Barrett,

Nice build! I've always wanted to try this model with that material, AKA Chuck Felton.

Chuck Felton you ask?

Check out his web site, been around for years. Love his stuff and yours.
I'll be watchin' this build.
Take notes,make plans and have fun.

Daniel

http://www.feltondesignanddata.com/
Who's Chuck Felton??? He contacted me himself around the time I built my cardboard JU-52. Great guy and great site. Still waiting for him to add my JU-52.

Ready to Fail- Here are some pics of how I tapered the cowling area. Rough and tough, I know, but when she's all painted and glassed, you'll hardly know. I cut a series of small wedge-shaped pieces out and brought them together bit by bit. Then I do it again with smaller, shallower wedges and that creates a curved effect. When you cut the wedge, you must make a small sideways incision at the peak of the wedge so the overlap has somewhere to go. Otherwise, it will rise back there like a mound and spoil your effect.

Col. Bink- The only formers are a few end bulkheads, like this triangular one at the forward end of the aft fuselage piece. Maybe 2 or 3 in the whole fuselage.

Barrett
Last edited by greenseaships; Sep 07, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Sep 07, 2009, 02:25 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP

Today's progress.

Today I concentrated on the wings. I used simple sheet cardboard with nice gentle camber. The camber is to maximize lift. I'm more concerned with slow speed handling than ripping down the flightline at 75 m.p.h.

I'm trying to make this thing as light and floaty as possible. She will still have carbon fiber in the wings as well as a few formers, but the real strength is in her camber and the fact that I did something I know I shouldn't have...

That's right, I GLUED the wings to the fuselage, ruining any chance of transporting this thing with the wings off. I just felt I had to do it because the wings weren't fitting into the area I had cut tightly. Making the choice to glue the wings on, I suddenly have ALOT of strength coming from the glue seam and the camber is now rigidly enforced. Gluing the wings on is not without its advantages.

Suffice it to say, I won't be getting rid of my van any time soon

Barrett
Sep 07, 2009, 10:33 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Amazing work. I'm speachless, almost. Can't wait to see video...
Sep 07, 2009, 11:29 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Thanks! I'll be sure to get at least one person doing video of the maiden.

If I get time tomorrow, I will try to install the firewall. Geeze... airframe done already? Oh- I need to attach the control surfaces with real hinge tape.

I cheated on the canopy and ordered a replacement canopy for the Hangar 9 P-40 (yes, I was able to find one online). Since they are both 52 inches long and about the same wingspan, I think the canopy will be close enough that I can force it to fit.

Barrett
Sep 08, 2009, 12:00 AM
wormburner
that thing is sweet. due to a job a lifetime ago, im forced to ask what weight cardboard youre using.
Sep 08, 2009, 10:23 AM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Hmmm I don't know about the weight, but the cardboard is about 1/8 inch and has 1 plys of paper sandwiched by one corrucation of paper. Just like the typical boxes you get in the mail or moving boxes. I get it in sheets with no creases or folds.
Sep 08, 2009, 11:44 AM
Very Cool!

Quick Reply