Apr 17, 2003, 08:34 AM
Thread OP

Gonna fly a taildragger for first time! Advise please!

This weekend Im gonna be flying a taildragger for the first time.
Its a super stick 60, I had the option either to go with the standard tricycle setup or taildragger. I decided to go with the taildragger. Needless to say Im a little nervous about it, ive heard that it can be quite different on take offs and landings, can any of you guys offer some advise so that I may have a successful flight?
Thanx for any help you can offer.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2003, 08:55 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I started flying a year ago February and all my planes are tail draggers. My first experience was with my Wattage Impress after I added a rudder to it. I tried to take it off but the tail would lift off and then the prop would hit the ground. I had some down trim in the elevator. I gave up and went to hand launching.

My next plane, an LT-25, pretty much takes off on its own. Take-offs happen so fast sometimes. I had never successfully taken off from the ground until this plane. I just added some up elevator to keep the tail down and when it lifts off I center the stick. I applied the same procedure to my Impress and it worked despite it not having a steerable tailwheel.

My E3D, well, its barely on the ground and with its built in right thrust tracks straight on the ground.

My latest plane, a Kyosho 40 sized Spitfire conversion, exhibits all the dangers of taildraggers. It has a tendancy to turn to the left when you start your takeoff roll. The tail will pop up from the ground before flying speed is reached and you will then have to steer it with rudder.

The first couple of times I took off, the plane was heading 45 deg to the left from it's original direction when it lifted off.

So I've learned to apply the power gradually and make a small adjustment to the rudder to keep it rolling straight. Once the tail lifts off the runway there is enough speed to where it doesn't want to turn to the left as much, if any. Now I apply my take off power.

One of the things I did before flying the Spit was to taxi down the runway to see how it tracked. It doesn't help if the wheels or tailwheel is not adjusted correctly and you are fighting a wheel alignment problem on take off.

Also if you are more confident taking off from one direction then wait until the wind is right to do that, unless you can stand behind the plane on takeoff.

I've seen those Stiks with glow and you shouldn't have a problem. If it's powered adequately you should be able to get off the ground faster than the glow equivalent with the bigger e prop generating a lot of thrust.

Good luck

Kelvin
Apr 17, 2003, 09:07 AM
Visitor from Reality
Start off by taking off into the wind! If you can't because of field considerations, at least don't try with an outlandish crosswind.

Do all your wheels point where they should? Mains need to be vertical seen from the front, either parallel or a tad 'toed in' (front edges of wheels closer than back edges seen in plan view). Free running? Tail wheel tracks dead straight - if it starts to swing as it rolls along, you are starting out badly.

Power up smoothly, don't just slam it open or take forever to open up. If you can, stand behind the model at first, it makes rudder corrections easier to make happen.

All models are different. My Four Star has the wheels far too far forward by common wisdom of having them under the wing LE, but it takes off straight as you like - the forward position makes rough grass field landings far easier, she always keeps the wheels on the bottom on grass touchdowns and roll-outs.

How happy are you with that rudder control? Getting a taildragger off in a crosswind will highlight if you've been ignoring the vital skills of rudder useage

Tell your friends that you are making your first taildragger take-offs. That way, they'll either get a laugh or know when to run! It's been a while since my first taildragger (C 1980, but I can still recall how much fun it wasy) and have flown them ever since. I think I've had three trikes in that time.

Good luck!

D
Apr 17, 2003, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
Thanx for the help, Ill keep all that in mind. What about landing? How does that differ from triclycle set up?
Apr 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I've only flown a tri-gear plane once when I helped my daughter's friend's father fly his glow 40 trainer but I landed it OK using the same landing techniques. I let it descend with adequate speed with a little flare near touch down to keep the front gear from hitting the ground first. With an electric taildragger with a large prop that could strike the ground I do the same thing.
Apr 17, 2003, 12:58 PM
My very first flight ever was to be with an Eaglet 50 set up as a taildragger. I was very nervous, of course.

What I did was take the wing off and tape the fuse shut, then I ran two or three tanks thruogh it just taxiing around and getting used to it...trying some take-off runs, playing with the elevater.

I was by myself, no trainer. I really think this helped me, I was able to feel the plane out w/out actually taking off...

This might not be any help since I take it you have flown before...just a suggestion for seeing what will happen... .
Apr 17, 2003, 01:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
Quote:
Originally posted by kelvin
My latest plane, a Kyosho 40 sized Spitfire conversion, exhibits all the dangers of taildraggers
Not to get you too worried, but Kelvin actually left out one additional thing that can be a problem with tail draggers: ground looping. This can really be annoying with small, short coupled planes like the DAW Extra. I once had a terrible little plane called the Sporty by Wattage that was almost impossible to ROG because it would ground loop as soon as it got going anywhere near fast enough to fly.

I'm not an expert on what causes ground looping or how to avoid it, so maybe someone else can chime in here. I have been told that a little toe in helps (as suggested by Dereck).

Neil
Apr 17, 2003, 01:51 PM

ground looping

hello all-
i just briefly looked at the past posts, but i would like to add that if you ground loop alot, then while you are taxing, add some up elevator. that will keep the rudder pinned to the ground.

i have done this with wattage decathlon, and crazy max. as speed increases, the main wing gets light then i ease off on the elevator. has worked for me. i have only flown tail draggers. i would think that if you had a steerable trike, the opposite might work as well. (don't know haven't tried one yet)

neal
Apr 17, 2003, 02:05 PM
I've practiced with the wing off, just taxied up and down the runway a few times.
Kinda fun, keep in mind, no brakes.
Apr 17, 2003, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanx for all the advice people, Ill let you know how it went after this weekend. wish me luck.
Apr 17, 2003, 09:01 PM
Sir Orange,

A couple more thoughts:

Take off:

1) Do some slow taxi, medium taxi, then fast taxi. Fast taxi is when the tail lifts. You should be able to maintain this fast taxi, then idle back to slow taxi

2) Do NOT let the plane get off track. If it does, then come back to idle, taxi back, and try again. (spend as much time as needed to master this)

3) Refer to item 2. Off Track is only a few degrees. It is very easy to "chase the tail" then ground loop. Also, you will find a lag from rudder input to the correction response. You need a feel for this, for your plane.

4) Landing: You must fly the rudder after the plane touches down, do not relax until the plane is in the slow taxi mode.

Tail draggers are GREAT, but one more time, watch those cross winds.

Good luck and Happy Landings,
Dave

PS: Cheap trick. IF you have cross winds or a slow left thumb, couple the ailerons to the rudder for take off and landing. This would be a major coupling that should be turned of for the flight. Most pilots fly 90% right stick and this coupling allows recovery when the panic of take off and landing takes over. The rudder should still be the main control for heading, but just incase, it works well.
Last edited by Daveairway; Apr 17, 2003 at 09:06 PM.
Apr 17, 2003, 09:07 PM
PDK
PDK
Hi mr. orange,
The biggest change I found when going from trike to taildragger was that you had to slow the aircraft down. With the trike if you were coming in a bit to fast you could still land because the wheels would make it stick to the strip. The trike will not and will bounce and keep flying. I find that if I pull the throttle right off on the downwind leg you can wash all the excess speed off on the turns. You will have to increase the throttle to maintain a good aproach angle. This way when you cross the threshold and pull the throttle right off it will sink nicely and not bounce up.
Regards
Phil
May 25, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've just moved from a trainer 40 (with 46 motor ) on a trike to a tail dragger size 40 (with a 58 ).

I had the same problems with take off, so I set dual rates for the elevator.

So far so good, except wrecking a few props on landing too fast. Now I have a 3 blade on the front....

Problem solved

Quick Reply