Apr 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Thanks for the pics and buidling details Roydor. Is that the Clarasonic Herex?

Jerilderie 2010 is 5 weeks away, come and enjoy some Australian winter flying with us ;0)

Chris.
http://www.seat.org.au
http://www.lsfaustralia.org.au
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2010, 11:22 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Thanks for the pics and buidling details Roydor. Is that the Clarasonic Herex?

Jerilderie 2010 is 5 weeks away, come and enjoy some Australian winter flying with us ;0)

Chris.
http://www.seat.org.au
http://www.lsfaustralia.org.au
Herex - The Herex is from R&G and I highly recomend it, 1.2mm thick in the cataloge its called "Airex (green) C 70.75 (75 kg/m³)"

Jerilderie, Hmmmm, maybe next year...
Apr 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
Detail Freak
Roy you are killing me; I LOVE red planes!!!
Those look fantastic, tough to get a flying shot when flying alone, huh.

Congrats on your succesful endeavor.

R,
Target
Apr 25, 2010, 06:09 AM
Chuck it and see!
What is the wingspan of the Gremlin?
Apr 25, 2010, 07:25 AM
Detail Freak
That's funny; Wing-span is asking about wingspan....

Target
Apr 25, 2010, 11:06 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
3.45 meters
70 dm of area
Oct 03, 2010, 01:59 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Went out flying a few days ago with a friend how made a nice video

Arsuf on Sunny Day (2 min 48 sec)
Oct 03, 2010, 02:11 PM
Deniable plausibility
Nice video. Good to see this interesting thread alive again.

S

PS Almost identical weather to what I had today - well apart from the torrential rain, the low cloud etc
Oct 03, 2010, 07:20 PM
Good to see that the Gremlin is still doing well. How do you rate its performance now after a fair bit of flying?

No sun here as well and light showers. The summer is around the corner.

Cheers
John Sydney
Oct 03, 2010, 08:11 PM
working to the closest cm

The next gremlin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZPAF
Good to see that the Gremlin is still doing well. How do you rate its performance now after a fair bit of flying?
Hi Roydor
Just wondering if you we to design your next model - what would you do or change?

I'm wondering if the push to larger spans in the explorers and pikes have influenced your thinking?

Cheers jeff

PS We are in the early 'design/what if' stage of what would be a good still/light air model for thermal duration comps. wingspan-3.5M?? 3.8M??
Oct 04, 2010, 12:17 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
OZPAF - The Gremlin fly's like the best of them, I've had some success with it at competitions and I am feeling more and more comfortable with it. It's quicker and more slippery then my RIP Pike perfect but can be flown just as floaty. It has a much wider speed range also, penetrates very well and requires ballast at much higher winds then the Perfect did. It turns well and as long as you keep the speed up, it’s a very efficient flyer. All in all a modern and very successful design, I'm happy

jirvin_4505 - I've actually designed a new model based on the Gremlin with slightly thicker airfoils and a longer wing span for calm conditions but I don't feel that the difference would be that great so I will probably build a super light Gremlin before going to the larger model if ever. I feel that the size trend is a fashion with some benefits but it’s not really needed for 90% of the conditions.
Oct 04, 2010, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
jirvin_4505 - I've actually designed a new model based on the Gremlin with slightly thicker airfoils and a longer wing span for calm conditions but I don't feel that the difference would be that great so I will probably build a super light Gremlin before going to the larger model if ever. I feel that the size trend is a fashion with some benefits but it’s not really needed for 90% of the conditions.
I think super light Gremlin would be a very good idea. Being slightly smaller than the current average F3J plane, it propably launches quicker and is more agile, to work small low level thermals.

Regarding the current trend to larger span and wing area, I think it has evolved mainly through improved structures. Sure, there has been an evolution in aerodynamics, but I think moving to full carbong wings, stronger spars etc. is the most crucial single factor. Remember Sharon wing flex? Sharon did not have ballast tube as std, but neither it did actually need one, because it was anyway structurally limited in stronger winds.
Oct 04, 2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
I think super light Gremlin would be a very good idea. Being slightly smaller than the current average F3J plane, it propably launches quicker and is more agile, to work small low level thermals.

Regarding the current trend to larger span and wing area, I think it has evolved mainly through improved structures. Sure, there has been an evolution in aerodynamics, but I think moving to full carbong wings, stronger spars etc. is the most crucial single factor. Remember Sharon wing flex? Sharon did not have ballast tube as std, but neither it did actually need one, because it was anyway structurally limited in stronger winds.
Perhaps then there may be a case for extra span with similar area to the Gremlin. This could improve the launch/climb and still air without affecting penetration providing Re's were ok and structural challenges could be met.

John
Apr 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Long time since my last update...

The Gremlin still fly's and fly's very well.
Took second place a few weeks ago at a local competition against Perfects in what was sometimes tricky air. If there was no throw out I would have won the competition but a couple of not so accurate landings (I'm VERY rusty) and a throw out, and I ended up losing the first place by about one point.

The legs on this model are excellent and the performance is on par with the Perfects without a doubt. My lighter model is a nice all rounder and my heavier full carbon 90 is an aggressive yet very enjoyable model for slightly windier conditions, both make up a strong pairing to cover all conditions except completely calm conditions where I wish I had a super light model. This is why I plan on building another Gremlin this year, probably a D-Box Spread Tow and I'm hoping to reach 1.8 kilo's with it and still maintaining full strength for windy conditions. Not an easy task but I have some ideas.

I'll be off to Bulgaria again this year for the Eurotour competition, teeming again with Tuomo and Tommy and accompanied by two other Israeli pilots, Eldad and Uri.
Should be fun.
I’ll post some pics after I get back.

Roy

Quick Reply