Sep 04, 2009, 05:23 PM
vtpraerobatics.blogspot.c om
Thread OP
New Product

GRYPHON plans and build pkg – Now taking orders

The sawdust and scraps of monokote have all been swept up, the building is completed and the glide test a success! And now a piece of slope soaring history, The classic GRYPHON can be yours with this sub-kit. The sub-kit is being offered with the endorsement of Mr. Bob Martin of Bob Martin Models fame who is the owner of the classic GRYPHON sailplane rights.

For $34.95 (includes Priority Mail postage in the lower 48), you get the following:

• Full size wing rib copies on 8-1/2 x 14” paper (2 sets)
• Full size construction paper fuselage templates
• Full size construction paper vertical fin templates
• 38 page building notes and original plans package with photos
• Aluminum LE and TE slotting tools
• Complete detailed wood cut list
• Online support

The original build thread link can be accessed below:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1053051

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wing Span – 71 Inches
Airfoil – Full symmetrical
Wing Area – 965 square inches, (6.7 sq. ft.)
Airborne loaded weight (ALW) – 32 to 40 ounces ideal
Wing loading – 4.8 to 6oz
Radio – 2 to 4 channel standard or mixing

Orders accepted only through PM or email at nas51st@yahoo.com . Include your correct mailing address, full name and quantity.

No credit cards, no Pay Pal. Postal Money Orders, International Money Orders and cash accepted, or personal checks once cleared.

International orders - postage will be additive but generally doesn’t exceed $15 US.

Thank you and welcome to the GRYPHON family…EJ
Last edited by oldscooler; Jul 09, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2009, 09:55 AM
David Cairns

Like I need another project... But I can't resist PM sent.
Sep 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
Watch for a PM from me in the next month or two, (I've spent too much on RC this month already...). Like Will Smith said in Independence Day: "I gotta get me one of these!!!"
Sonny

PS: Has anyone thought about stickin' a motor on one of these? Hmmmmm.....
Last edited by sonny1; Sep 15, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Sep 15, 2009, 06:25 PM
__Jackass Savant__
<-----Raises hand

Aren't you technically just selling paper plans??? I don't see in the description the "sub" or "kit" part???
Sep 16, 2009, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1
Watch for a PM from me in the next month or two, (I've spent too much on RC this month already...). Like Will Smith said in Independence Day: "I gotta get me one of these!!!"
Sonny

PS: Has anyone thought about stickin' a motor on one of these? Hmmmmm.....
Actually yes on the motor. They have been fitted with an .09 on the tail fin and have flown quite well from what i have heard. They also high start pretty good also. One fellow said he used to get 1-2 minute flights out of the Gryphon. Not bad for a big ship and no undercamber!

For nostalgic reasons, i have reduced the package price from $36 to $34.95 to match the original kit price back in the 70's. For those of you who have ordered the package you will find a small refund in the envelope. With inflation and the value of the dollar today I would guess that a new full kit would cost $125 or more.

EJ
Sep 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
Matt Haugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBOZman
<-----Raises hand

Aren't you technically just selling paper plans??? I don't see in the description the "sub" or "kit" part???
I'd like to second the question. Is this "kit" paper plans, templates, and some sort of tools? I'm not questioning the value; just trying to get clarity around what will actually arrive at my house.
Sep 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy
I'd like to second the question. Is this "kit" paper plans, templates, and some sort of tools? I'm not questioning the value; just trying to get clarity around what will actually arrive at my house.
As the description states,

- The "full size fuse and fin templates" are made out of construction paper.

- The "full size rib templates" are on paper, a total of 24.

- The "tools" are aluminum pre-angled extrusions for LE and TE grooving.

- The "build notes" are my tips and recommendations documented during the build that clarifies some of the vague original plan descriptions.

- The "plans" are scanned copies right off the original one piece sheet. There are no airframe layouts we normally see on build plans. Its all graphics and hand written notes. Hence the reason i included the "build notes". I could have left them out but im sure there would be some head scratching going on.

- And most important, the "wood cut list". There were NO clues on the original plans about what wood to choose. I scaled everything out dimensionally and by weight to aim for the 40oz build weight goal.

- Postage for the lower 48 is included in the $34.95 price.

What there isn't - wood, a big box, glue, monokote, canopy.

Thank you...EJ
Sep 20, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thread OP

GRYPHON Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweeler
EJ
Successful maiden today! Video coming.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=251
Last edited by oldscooler; Sep 22, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Sep 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
Thread OP

Gryphon Video

Quote:
Successful maiden today! Video coming.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=251
5 minutes on the stick and its love at first sight! I knew this would be the case. The thing is a BLAST to fly and i know it will make me and you a better pilot!

Gryphon Maiden Flight, hq (4 min 42 sec)

Crank the volume up and buy one, you’ll have a new friend for a lifetime...EJ
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1114945
Last edited by oldscooler; Apr 27, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Sep 23, 2009, 12:49 AM
Matt Haugh
Quote:
5 minutes on the stick and its love at first sight! I knew this would be the case. The thing is a BLAST to fly and i know it will make me and you a better pilot!

Crank the volume up and buy one, you’ll have a new friend for a lifetime...EJ
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1114945
That's really impressive. You've built a beautiful glider and she seems at home on the slope!
Apr 15, 2017, 09:31 AM
I need The plans so I can build this GRYPHON!! If any one has a set Please let me know!
Thank you,

Joe Pierson
Apr 15, 2017, 11:28 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, There weren't any full size plans. Just two sheets of directions.
Apr 15, 2017, 11:45 AM
Thank you, That is what I thought
Joe
Apr 15, 2017, 12:30 PM
incorrect info, deleted post
Dec 04, 2020, 03:13 PM
Horizon Hobby
I'm looking for the build notes/templates/plans if anyone has copies they would part with.

Thankyou,

Craig

Quick Reply