Sep 04, 2009, 12:15 PM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Discussion

Litco Alpha 4 Replacement?

I haven't been active in the hobby for a couple of years, but since then, it looks like the Alpha 4 charger that was "the best of the best" is now defunct due to it's lack of being able to charge the newer batteries.

So in a nutshell, has there been any particular multi-port charger that has taken over the "best of the best" slot?

I still have my Alpha 4 and will continue to use it, but I'm adding some new batteries to the mix that require a different charger, and I'm looking for a charger that's at least as capable as the Alpha 4 that will charge Lipo's etc.

HF
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2009, 12:20 PM
TP1010C with TP210V balancer will charge about any type battery out there and has a discharge capability.

FMA Cellpro 10S will also charge about anything we use but does not have discharge capability.

These are the only 2 larger chargers I have experience with but I am sure there are other brands that will also work for you. Others will probably chime in here with some other recommendations.

Don

I loved my Alpha 4 but Litco's refusal to keep up with the technology or offer some sort of upgrade led me to other chargers.
Sep 04, 2009, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
Many, many choices and everybody will have a favorite.

This is a good one: iCharger 208B

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-8S-20A-350W

Another is the FMA Cellpro 10S
Sep 04, 2009, 01:31 PM
The only thing that comes close is a Hughes charger. 4 ports, does all chemistries, no built in balancer for lithium.
Sep 04, 2009, 01:42 PM
I sold my Litco Alpha4 about 4 or 5 years ago and never looked back. I've converted everything to LiXx and with the exception an old TX I keep around for sim use I don't have anything that uses NiXx in RC.

The Hyperion DUO III is a true two port charger which might be the closest/best option available. It's also many many times more powerful than the Alpha4.
Sep 05, 2009, 08:27 AM
Out of Time
Thread OP
Doing a quick check on the chargers mentioned so far, most of them appear to be primarily designed for Lipo's and lithiums.
They are also just one or two port that I can see (I loved the heck out of the Alpha 4's independant 4-port capability).

Then I looked up the Hughes, and it looks like it has all the capabilities of the Alpha 4 (including 4 independant ports) but with the addition of Lipo and lithium capability (what the Alpha 4 should have been updated to).

In short, it appears that the Hughes is the "next generation Alpha-4".
The only thing it appears lacking is balancing, but I'm not yet into needing that so much yet, and when I find that I need balancing, I could always buy the dedicated TP210V balancer.

Ya'll have to keep in mind that I've been using my Alpha-4 for better than 15 years and have gotten spoiled by it's capabilities (at the time), so is there anyone who has had an Alpha-4 and also bought the Hughes who can offer some opinions on how they compare?
Sep 05, 2009, 09:32 AM
The Hugues is rarely, if ever, mentioned here and is almost as dated at the Alpha4.

Not many folks are considering chargers w/o built in balancers these days. Additionally, many of todays chargers are far more powerful in terms of max watts out.

NiXx charging is old hat these days. Almost any Lithium charger supports it.

My Alpha4 served me very well for about 10 years or so, but when I went to larger battery packs and Lithium technology it became useless.

The Alpha4 has a max output of 1A. My Hyperion 720i NET3 can do 20A out. The Alpha4 is probably less than 20W out max. The 720i is good for 250W out.
Apr 07, 2010, 12:39 AM
No Quarter given
I own both the Alpha, and the Spectra 4, and they are very similar in capability. The Spectra offers a little more umph in power per port (1 amp), and not affected by how many ports are programmed like the Alpha.
The main difference is that the Spectra programs differently, but not more difficultly. When you go to charge your Nicad or NiMH, you will need to know what rate you wish to charge it. But, this gives you the freedom to go fast, slow or in the middle somewhere. You have the choice of charging at a constant rate, like the wall warts we had, or a peak detection. Each charge offers a timer, so if you would like to constant charge for a set amount of time, (12-14 hours) you can. You can also choose if you want to have the pack receive a trickle charge after the timer ends. And last of all, if this is a program you will use often, you can save it to memory, so you don't have to reprogram it.
It will handle all of the chemistries including the A123 (LiFePO4) batteries. And no, it doesn't balance packs, but... for $20 you can get a blinky balancer that will do it while you charge the pack... I use it all the time. Not sure what the need for 20Amps of output is good for unless you have some huge batteries. It didn't sound like that was your concern, but more of finding something that was familiar, yet able to handle the newer batteries. I think the Spectra is a good upgrade to the Alpha. I sure love having all those ports... Quite often I have all 4 going charging everything for a big day of flying in the morning.
Apr 30, 2015, 01:24 AM

Litco Alpha 4

Doubt anybody would be interested, but have one for sale
Apr 30, 2015, 09:05 AM
No Quarter given
How much you want?
May 05, 2015, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgains
How much you want?
I really have no idea what it may be worth. it has an AC adapter and 12v clip on plugs for in put and several various output plugs. also have to determine shipping cost. willing to entertain any reasonable offer. it is basically what you see at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2339755
Last edited by srmohr; May 05, 2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply