Apr 16, 2003, 11:30 PM
Not Really
Thread OP

Human Powered Flight Daedalus

Here are some pictures from my club meeting with guest speaker Dr. Mark Drela and his human powered Daedalus. There are some pictures of CNC foam cutters at MIT. All up the Daedalus only weighed 69 pounds. Notice the tail design on the Daedalus. We had some helo fun afterwards.

Click for Pictures

more info
Last edited by Fast-Forward; Apr 16, 2003 at 11:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2003, 01:19 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Where is the full sized Daedalus on display? Given that the actual plane was heavily damaged due to aq spar failure a few hundred feet from the beach, I assume the one on display is one of the backup planes.

I've seen part of the actual Daedalus' tail hanging on a wall at the NASM's Garber facility.

Any more information?
Apr 17, 2003, 01:42 PM
Not Really
Thread OP

Where is it now....

The backup to the Daedalus is in the Museum of Science in Boston, MA. I believe Mark said that the National Air and Space Museum in D.C has whats left of the original Daedalus.

It's amazing the similarities between the Daedalus and many of Marks RC Models. Take a look here (Daedalus Plans) and notice the similarites with the stab (Super Gee plans) and rudder (Bubble Dancer plans) setup. Mark was asked if he would've done anything different today, his response was no. What is there to say about a 68-69 pound 112 foot human powered sailplane other than amazing?
Last edited by Fast-Forward; Apr 17, 2003 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply