First scratch building project - RC Groups
Sep 03, 2009, 10:23 PM
Discussion

First scratch building project

Hi Guys,

Being the creative type that I am I've decided to undertake a project to scratch build a 1/2th scale EDF Jet fighter. Ever since seeing the A-6E Intruder up close during a recent trip to Vietnam I fell in love with the ugly things. Studying scale drawings of the plane unfortunately made me drop it as a perspective scratch build as the exhaust vents are majorly undersized for a scale EDF and I didn't really want to hack up the fuselage as I've seen in ARF foamy kits.

Having a patriotic streak I thought of building the F111 which so impressed me as a child during new years eve fireworks shows (those dump & burns are AWESOME). Upon studying the plane up close I discovered that it's hideously ugly.. in the bad way.

That leaves me with the only other "good" plane in the Australian Air Force.. the F-18 Hornet.

Having a bit of a look around for decent 3 views or existing foamy plans i've found that plans for the angle I'm taking are non-existent.

I'd like to build up the internal structure with a skeleton of bulkheads then skin the aircraft with thin foam with a coat of light glass to eliminate some flex.

Since I'll be creating these plans from scratch does anyone have any tips on how to create cross sections to use as the skeletal structure beneath the skin? The only 3 views I've found have been woefully low resolution or detail so I'm popping out to lunch to see if i can pick up a small scale model to use as a reference.

Thanks, i'll be sure to post pics of the build and hopefully at the end of it some accurate plans for anyone else to use.

Impy
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2009, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impy
Hi Guys,

Being the creative type that I am I've decided to undertake a project to scratch build a 1/2th scale EDF Jet fighter. Ever since seeing the A-6E Intruder up close during a recent trip to Vietnam I fell in love with the ugly things. Studying scale drawings of the plane unfortunately made me drop it as a perspective scratch build as the exhaust vents are majorly undersized for a scale EDF and I didn't really want to hack up the fuselage as I've seen in ARF foamy kits.

Having a patriotic streak I thought of building the F111 which so impressed me as a child during new years eve fireworks shows (those dump & burns are AWESOME). Upon studying the plane up close I discovered that it's hideously ugly.. in the bad way.

That leaves me with the only other "good" plane in the Australian Air Force.. the F-18 Hornet.

Having a bit of a look around for decent 3 views or existing foamy plans i've found that plans for the angle I'm taking are non-existent.

I'd like to build up the internal structure with a skeleton of bulkheads then skin the aircraft with thin foam with a coat of light glass to eliminate some flex.

Since I'll be creating these plans from scratch does anyone have any tips on how to create cross sections to use as the skeletal structure beneath the skin? The only 3 views I've found have been woefully low resolution or detail so I'm popping out to lunch to see if i can pick up a small scale model to use as a reference.

Thanks, i'll be sure to post pics of the build and hopefully at the end of it some accurate plans for anyone else to use.

Impy
Impy,

You'll probably get more response in the Scratchbuilt forum.

Bill
Sep 04, 2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks, i'll create a build guide back here once i get going (it's going to be a foamy EDF)
Sep 04, 2009, 09:56 AM
James L
I don't know if this is useful but I saw this thread and thought you might get some use out of it. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86992