AR6400 in a Cox War Bird using a 2cell lipo with flight video - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 14, 2009, 10:14 AM
[b]wow
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
Nice video Modfly! When I look at it, it reminds me of my minium edge 540. Very manouverable and it can fly in small area's. Your's is clearly less unstable. Nice job!

Robert
Sep 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatorus
Nice video Modfly! When I look at it, it reminds me of my minium edge 540. Very manouverable and it can fly in small area's. Your's is clearly less unstable. Nice job!

Robert
Thanks Robert. This AR6400 setup and the AUW seem just about perfect for this plane. At this weight AUW of 4.5oz, the plane feels very strong and the wings do not flex yet it has enough mass to carry through Aero maneuver's and fly in strong wind. I will be doing a Cox Corsair next..I found one NIB here at rcgroups and should be getting it any day now. Mean while here is another P-47 video.

This thing can fly in a very small space. I had it flying in a 60' radius circle.
Oh, and this is @ 13-14 watts (1.5amps). This motor can easily go to 30 watts. This flight was with a 350mah 2s1p lipo.

Cox P 47 Flight #2 (1 min 56 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Oct 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Sep 18, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hallo modfly, I red your interesting posts. Some time ago I bought, at fair price, three Cox models: P-40, P-47 and FW190. Now I have started the P-40 and I made some mods like you, I hope it will fly great as your.
My problem is about the motor, discarded the original , I bought a 10 gr outrunner but it doesn't run smooth into the P-40 nose and temperature grow up very quickly.
So I am thinking of opening fuselage and changing the outruner with an inrunner, can you or somebody else address me to a good motor solution for a 2s1p battery?
Thanks and my compliments for your P-47!
Last edited by robonave; Sep 19, 2009 at 01:26 AM.
Sep 19, 2009, 12:29 PM
Do you have a link to the outrunner your using? If its getting hot, something is wrong. Too much current flow. Maybe a prop change can fix that. I'm using an outrunner and it gets very little airflow but its fine because of the modest power that it produces but you can see from the video that it is more than enough. Also what is the weight of your P-40?
Sep 19, 2009, 11:01 PM
I flew this plane again this evening and got a 15 minute flight from the 2s1p 350mah lipo. It was just a regular flight with rolls and loops and ROG's and some WOT flight and just cruising. This is just a good all around plane with this setup and has become one of my favorites.
Sep 21, 2009, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Do you have a link to the outrunner your using? If its getting hot, something is wrong. Too much current flow. Maybe a prop change can fix that. I'm using an outrunner and it gets very little airflow but its fine because of the modest power that it produces but you can see from the video that it is more than enough. Also what is the weight of your P-40?
No I have no link now for the motor because I cannot read the type, I am going to unglue the firewall (which is just after the spinner cause the motor is fixed frontally) to take the motor away.
The weight (till now but I have not finished) is about 150 grams but I have 3 servos one for each moving surfaces (ailerons, rudder, elevator).
Can you give me some advice on a good type of motor ( I hoped to find an inrunner which seems to me to be easier to install) and batteries?

Ernesto
Sep 21, 2009, 09:18 PM
Well, the motor I'm using is an oddball and I don't know where you would get one as it came in a Heli upgrade kit that included two motors and 2 ESC's for $60. I had to do a weird mounting on this motor as well as you may have noticed. I can tell you this, its a great motor and works well in this application and uses a 2 hole flange mount which is pretty easy to work with although it did not come with the mounting screws. Those screws are a very rare to come buy and are the same as whats in the Blade CX,CX2 and AH Storm launcher. Anyway, there are plenty of motors one could use in this plane available from HK and other places. I think any motor designed to use 2 cells and swing a 4.5-5.5'' prop will work. I personally like one that is light weight and has a 2mm OP shaft so and is of the proper KV so that a Stock Cox prop or equivalent can be used. I will soon be doing a Cox F4u Corsair and will be looking for a motor for it that is similar to the one I have in the P-47. I will do a separate thread on the Corsair and do a scratch build on it.
Last edited by modfly; Jun 26, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Sep 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well I finally got the Cox Corsair along with a few old Estes planes. This is the first Cox Corsair I have ever seen and they are very cool.
Oct 14, 2009, 07:28 AM

Connectors for your baby...

Hey Modfly, don't know if you are aware of his business here at RCG, but Glenn2626 has been selling connectors for us micronuts for a while now..

Servoconnectors for the 6400: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1079415
With these you can use whatever servo you want to with the 6400..

Batteryconnectors for it (both male and female): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1087972

Balancetabs for making lipopacks and chargingharnesses for single cells (and there are some servoconnectors for the 6300): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875221

I have done business with him, and he really does help a sucker out!!

Ballemann,
Norway
Oct 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, thats good to know Ballemann as I will certainly be using this 6400 for many micro projects.

On another note, I recently got a 5 gram BL motor from HK and I tried it in my beater Micro Cox P-40 and it flew the plane! This tiny 5g motor flew the 4.7oz AUW P-40 rather well. Not enough power for good aerobatics but equal to the stock brushed power plant. I'm impressed

I don't have a thread on the Cox P-40 even though I have been flying it for 3 years and since this is a Cox Micro warbird thread its going here
Last edited by modfly; Oct 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Oct 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
suscribed
Oct 15, 2009, 08:42 PM
oops wrong thread... sorry...
Nov 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
I'm doing a AR6400 Zero. Just prepping the body for the conversion, now. Still mulling motor choices and Aileron set up... whether to go with two 1.5 linears or one 2.5g BA.

Will try a 5g HXT 2000Kv motor to start, on a 2S 350 Lipo.
Nov 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a plan UNGN. I'm just about ready to start the Corsair.