Aug 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
I'm going flying..........
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme

This will be a "Mini-How to" on what has become my favorite quick, easy and cheap method for adding some color/trim to foam models. This will be focused on flat foamies, in particular my favorite www.DWFoamies.com, but can be used on lots of different electric foam planes.

As noted above I use this Colored packing tape method because it's quick, easy, cheap and requires very little skill. I also like the "Shine" or "Pop" the colored tape gives over Sharpies or even Airbrushing.

At the end of this I will add all the pictures of completed models I have using this method. Please feel free to add your pictures or tips for using this method to give others some different ideas.

EDIT I'm not sure how I over looked mentioning this when I originally wrote this. The CPT reacts very funny w/CA kicker. So plan your scheme so it will be away from any joints that need to be glued/kicked.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Feb 05, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
The Tape; "Colored packing tape" is a 2" wide, thin 2mil, self adhesive tape. What else do you say it's colored tape? I've always called it "Zagi Tape" but have seen it called "Colored Carton Sealing Tape" or "Bidi Filament Tape" The brand I have used "Wonder Tape" are semi-translucent colors, except the black and dark blue or purple.

Resources; I purchased several different colors years ago from my LHS. I have only seen it come is 55yard rolls, and it seams to last forever.

Although not on the web site yet WWW.DWFoamies.COM is now stocking rolls in all common colors. The "one stop shopping" saves you the extra shipping cost.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_14475834.asp

http://fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html

http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/Accessories.html
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Aug 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
Application/tips; Like all tape do not lay it on its side. It will pick up edge "Junk" even off the cleanest surface and against most white foam models looks sloppy when looked at close up. Remember to apply light colors first. The semi-translucent color over the white foam looks nice and solid. But when layered in the wrong order looks bad.

I have come up with or am stuck on a "scheme" that I like. But I often use a marker on the models manual pictures to plan out a new scheme.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Aug 29, 2009, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
For My DWFoamies I bevel and hinge all the surfaces and do the, what we will abbreviate from here on out, CPT (colored packing tape) on top of the hinge tape. Other models I have done after it was built. But w/a flat foamie it is just easier before it is glued up.

I start w/ the lighter color and lay what I think of as my main color out first. I do all my cuts on the foam and even across the hinge tape. The CPT has a very distinct "pop" feel as you poke threw it w/a #11 exacto blade. It is a feal thing so do some practice cuts on scrap first. Remember a new sharp blade is what makes this possible. I go threw 2 or 3 blades when doing a model like this.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Aug 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
The main part of the scheme, and work, is the checkers. It's easier than it looks. The checkers that are lifted from the wings will be applied to the vertical stab/rudder. Or where ever you like. You could even increase the size of the wing checkers w/them. Pick or measure some easily duplicatable points to copy for the other side wing.

This is where you want one of the new exacto blades. It takes a very light touch. I start the cut before the color to set the depth of the cut and hold it down the ruler. You can very easily cut to deep. Practice on some scrap. When cutting the checker it will not hurt to also cut threw the man color. But lifting the checker must be done from the side of the tape not the cut line.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Aug 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thread OP
Use your saved checkers to trim out the tail section. I start w/one checker right in the middle.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Aug 30, 2009, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
Finished w/the kit supplied vinyl. I like placing the vinyl, like on the "turtle deck" 50/50 over the color.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Aug 30, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Aug 30, 2009, 07:02 AM
Great mini-how-to, you use a lot of the same techniques as me, and quite a few I'd not thought of. One thing I came up with is an 'instant checker' way of applying tape, as shown in the pics below.

Thanks for sharing, I'll use some of your methods on my own builds.
Sep 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Getting around to posting pic's of my finished DWFoamies 48" Extra 330 w/ 2 different wing sets.
Oct 19, 2009, 10:30 AM
I love DW Foamies, Will always have 1-4 around at all times,
Oct 20, 2009, 03:18 PM
About how much weight does this add?
Oct 20, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
That is a great question! I do not know. I'm always to impatient to get them flying and forget to weight before and after. I'll try to remember, I'm doing one in the next couple weeks.

EDIT.....Added 7grams weight to a 38" airframe.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Mar 03, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Oct 20, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hmm...I really like the this one that you did rpmrpm. Really simple and very nice! I might have to steal the scheme from you

It doesnt seem like it would add a terrible amount of weight either, and I plan on doing something along the lines of what andrew jesky has on the bottom of his planes. I think that would look really nice!

Quick Reply