Aug 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Thunderbird Formation Foamie

So i went to the Selfridge Airshow and they had the Thunderbirds there.

So i was inspired.

I once found a simulator model that was something like this but i thought i just needed to get here on RCGroups so i made my own.

I need some help with the graphics though. Anyone know where i can find Full Color 3 views of a Thunderbird?? I found the one side view and it worked great. Now i just need the top and bottom to match it. No dice with the Google searches..

So check it!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
My plans are in my blog
I once saw a flying formation in a r/c plane magazine a few years back. The guy used c/f tubes to connect the four together. The jets- left and right- used only their outside ailerons, and the rear plane's elevator, for control.
I'd like to see how your's turns out. I bet others will want plans, too.
Aug 29, 2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah i saw those pics. I was really hoping to find a 3 view of the whole plane all together so i can use them as decals on my parts.

I saw that one too. I think this will be a bit easier to put together with the foam links and by making it a pusher/prop in a slot style i think it will be very stable.
Aug 29, 2009, 08:20 PM
Your designs never cease to amaze me!! Keep up the good work!
Aug 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Dennis,

That looks really great! I am sure that you will get this flying, given your previous experience.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Aug 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Here's a set of decals for a plastic model, maybe they can be scaled up? http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ki...am_61102.shtml
Aug 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Just looked at the screen shots. I can't imagine the load on the lead aircrafts wingtips.

Yikes!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Aug 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
I once saw a flying formation in a r/c plane magazine a few years back.
Yup. I remember when Ken Willard did a construction article for a slimer formation in the AMA magazine back in the late '70s. (Probably still got it in my library somewhere...)

Here it is from their website:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/images/1978/239.jpg

December 1978 "Blue Birds": http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans78.aspx
Aug 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
Wasn't this posted somewhere else, or am I having deja vu?
Aug 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
I was already thinking about that. Part of why i went with the fuse links like i did. I am probable going to put in some carbon tubing or something.
Aug 29, 2009, 11:19 PM
Supersonic hover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookid
Wasn't this posted somewhere else, or am I having deja vu?
It does look familiar!

Talon I will try to find the graphics files I made, shoot me a PM if you're still looking.

Cool design!

-Matt
Aug 29, 2009, 11:38 PM
That looks great Espirit! I remember seeing some like that before. How did it fly? Do you have any videos or anything?

I was looking for a way to do it that had less carbon tubing. I was very worried about how to get the prop in there so it was clear of all the other parts and i like the idea of getting them in there really tight!

Yours looks great though! I am hoping to get the paint in there as nice as yours. I usually don't even bother with paint on my designs =)
Aug 29, 2009, 11:46 PM
Supersonic hover
Thanks Talon,

It flew ok but was underpowered and a little "flexy" with the thin carbon rod.

No paint on there, just graphics printed on paper and stuck on the depron - wasn't fun doing everything four times! I'm still trying to find my graphics file but not having much luck.

Good luck with yours!

-Matt
Aug 30, 2009, 01:22 AM
Suspended Account
Fun stuff guys.

Personally I find that the F-16 is the prettiest fighter ever made. It just looks the part.

Now with all the stealth considerations airplanes have to be uglier.