Sep 05, 2010, 07:33 PM
It's really outstanding. Thanks again for your effort and time.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, yes we need Franky and Gary to duplicate some more planes in the new model. I find the extra two to be flawed, but I don't now if I can explain it because I am not good with acrobatic nomenclature. Anyway, just getting up in the air and then trying to do a flat spin type manuever with only full left rudder and then rolling aileron into a right roll several times caused the plane to fall out of the air unrecoverable like it had crashed. This happened serveral times. today. The cessna of course can be edited but wow needs lots of elevator trim. I don't know that I don't find the prior version realistic enough for me. The cessna does fly with more wind more realistically and I do think parts of the extra fly better... Not meaning to complain, just being honest. And I don't know how to fix or change the model parameters well enough either. Davy, still a home run in my books!!! Maybe just not quite a grand slam yet.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Sep 06, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Forgot my last sentence as the grand slam is different landscapes. :)
Sep 05, 2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure
Hi all,
I'm getting ready to do the final release of version 0.1.3. But before I do, I would like to get your expert opinion on the new flight model (the bit of code that determines how airplanes fly).
For this I uploaded a test build that can be downloaded from the following link:
http://rcdeskpilot.com/system/files/..._013fmtest.exe
This version is only to get feedback and cannot be found on the website.
Be sure to fly with some wind!

Most airplanes have two versions. The version with the "2" behind its' name uses the new flight model, the one without is the old model. That way you can compare the two flight models. The Extra 2 has radically changed to hopefully better simulate 3D flying. The sim is backwards compatible, so existing aircraft will fly like they did.

Other things that have been changed, but not completely finished: revamped wind system (thx Metman & Eves), aircraft editor (for the new FM), flag, crash animation, chase cam,...

Thanks for any feedback of any kind (positive, negative, constructive...) you might have!
Davy
Thanks for your great work on this sim - I'm a new rc plane flyer and am enjoying this trainer to train my flying fingers.

I found both Cessna's to be improved - more power and control, but version 2 was better I thought. The Extra's were both difficult to take off, so I calibrated my ESky controller with Windows7.

After calibrating, I noticed that the X rotation (rudder) went from one extreme to the other, with no middle. I then went to default setting and the x rotation appeared normal then.

My takeoff problems with the Extras were solved by backing off a little from full up elevator. Once in the air, both flew well, again version 2 was better.

I also flew the t-28 Trojan, Hawksky (thanks Gary!), Chara Bipe and Tandem Bipe (thanks Frankie!). All seemed to have more power and control.

The wind flag is very nice and I love the chase view!
Sep 07, 2010, 07:14 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
GF,

Just gave both versions old/new a quick run through. I really like the new physics. I will have to read up on how to convert them. I still am not able to make a good snap roll using conventional stick movement. It might just be the settings aren't quite right yet. I will play with it some more.

I found a bug or two when I assumed that I needed 3D to use the new flight physics. It maxes out some of the flight parameters and things go awry after that.

So, instead of just letting loose, let me read the docs to see what's new.

-- ggunners
Sep 08, 2010, 03:11 AM
Is there a way to control the simulator without a tx or a joystick? just keyboard controls?
Sep 08, 2010, 06:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners
GF,

Just gave both versions old/new a quick run through. I really like the new physics. I will have to read up on how to convert them. I still am not able to make a good snap roll using conventional stick movement. It might just be the settings aren't quite right yet. I will play with it some more.

I found a bug or two when I assumed that I needed 3D to use the new flight physics. It maxes out some of the flight parameters and things go awry after that.

So, instead of just letting loose, let me read the docs to see what's new.

-- ggunners
Hi Gary, the manual isn't updated yet .
You were right about needing the "advanced (3D)" model. That selects the new flight model. After that you need to reset the Dimensions, namely wingspan and "right wing center". Simply move the latter to the center of lift of the right wing. The last thing that needs changing then is the agility parameters, to be specific everything related to the ailerons and dihedral. That should be it. I'll update the manual before the final release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat
Is there a way to control the simulator without a tx or a joystick? just keyboard controls?
When there is no joystick attached, you should be able to control the aircraft using the numeric keypad (1 & 3: rudder, 7 & 9 : throttle), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Davy
Sep 08, 2010, 04:01 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
Hi Davy

New to R/C Desk Pilot and have just downloaded/installed 0.1.2. I can't seem, to add planes? Looked in your blog and saw that the exe should create a folder: "My Documents\RC Desk Pilot\Aircraft" which it did'nt. Is this functionality only available in the beta: 0.1.3?

Any downside to going to 0.1.3? And to install can I install over the top of 1.1.2?

Sorry for all the questions, great sim!!

PS: I did search the thread, sorry if this has been asked multiple times!
Sep 08, 2010, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2
Hi Davy

New to R/C Desk Pilot and have just downloaded/installed 0.1.2. I can't seem, to add planes? Looked in your blog and saw that the exe should create a folder: "My Documents\RC Desk Pilot\Aircraft" which it did'nt. Is this functionality only available in the beta: 0.1.3?

Any downside to going to 0.1.3? And to install can I install over the top of 1.1.2?

Sorry for all the questions, great sim!!

PS: I did search the thread, sorry if this has been asked multiple times!
Hi argo-2 and welcome to the thread. Very good question. This functionality is only available in the beta version. I'm to blame for the confusion. The beta phase has gotten out of hand and is taking too long: actually 0.1.3 beta has proven just as stable (or better) than 0.1.2. You can install it over 0.1.2 without any problems. I wouldn't recommend the test version a few posts above but the beta version from the website should do fine.

Have fun!
Davy
Sep 08, 2010, 07:56 PM
RC Adddict
Davy ive only got a little time on the new sim been sick and busy but heres a few things ive noticed that differ from flying my real planes .

With full rudder on the cessna i dont have to add any aileron control to compensate for inside wing dropping .
No selfrighting tendincy to the cessna
Cessna and others Can fly straight all day in the windiest conditions . doesnt effect wings /fuselage independent ie doesnt blow 1 wing up or back more then the other when at an angle .

Your doing a great job and im hoping to get a little more time at it this week , just hard to give up flying the real thing when its been so nice out lately

Chris
Sep 08, 2010, 09:17 PM
So, Davy and others, is it just me with the extra 2 having a few difficulties in flight?. I guess I am going to fly the extra with the same manuever and see how it does. That should tell me if its me or perhaps a bug... schmaybe?
Sep 08, 2010, 09:35 PM
Messed with it quite a bit. Extra 2 is worlds apart actually. What I am noticing is when cutting throttle off completely and then kicking it back on. My guess is that I can tweak this somewhat in the delay setting. Momentum seems to drop too quickly when dropping off power quickly and completely. As long as I keep a few clicks above the bottom it flies really well.
Sep 08, 2010, 09:57 PM
Here is my tweaked par file for the extra 2. At least I like it better this way...
Sep 09, 2010, 08:39 AM
Played more after trimming the extra to my liking. Many manuevers seemed to improve and then I went to lots of turbulence and wind. I fly in wind most of the time in real life and like surfing and 'flying' backwards. The sim does a good job at simulating that now too. It also allows one to practice landings in variable hard gusts which can be a plane thrashing experience in real life and something that needs some practice.
Sep 10, 2010, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Here is my tweaked par file for the extra 2. At least I like it better this way...
Thx tymbrewolf, I'm not a 3D flyer myself so this is valuable input. I looked at your changes and will copy some of them if that's alright with you

Cheers,
Davy
Sep 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
Neither am I really, but I can do a few basic manuevers.Copy all you want, doesn't mean yours aren't right, I just like my changes for me.

Quick Reply