Free sim R/C Desk Pilot up for download. - Page 31 - RC Groups
Jun 03, 2010, 01:48 PM

Spitfire

YES !!!!
This is on my TO DO list.

Franky

P.S.: there are tons of airplanes model in Google 3D warehouse.

The Beast - Spitfire. (0 min 46 sec)
Last edited by frankyfly; Jun 03, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2010, 09:52 PM
Searching for a plane to model, I ran across a conceptual drawing of an airforce X-plane/jet. I have seen several diamond or box wing types, but this one looked sleek and mean. Inspired, I did my own design for RCdeskpilot and also for building an RC model.

So far, for proof of concept, I made a rough motor-less model of a foam fuse, foam board wings, tape and lots of glue. Tweaking the nose weight, CG and adjustable evelons, the plane flew quite nicely across my backyard. It was a pleasant surprise not knowing what to expect. With this experimenting and RCDP, I think I can produce a pretty decent flying machine.

Here is the RCdeskpilot plane set up to fly like or how I imagine and hope it will once I complete a working RC.

I may do more of this nature, so I named this "X1" for creating a series.

Franky, It looks like you have the bug.
Jun 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Davy , Eves,
please I need your help here.

I did the DUPLEX Delta model recently. It has ailerons, but I need to move them properly.

They both goes up or down moving the ch-4 stick on my Tx (mode 2).

Look at the picture, I'm doing something wrong with the hierarchy panel toolbox for sure.

Can you help me to find the way ?

Franky

Google SketchUp Duplex Delta model plane (1 min 30 sec)
Jun 10, 2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyfly
Davy , Eves,
please I need your help here.

I did the DUPLEX Delta model recently. It has ailerons, but I need to move them properly.

They both goes up or down moving the ch-4 stick on my Tx (mode 2).

Look at the picture, I'm doing something wrong with the hierarchy panel toolbox for sure.

Can you help me to find the way ?

Franky
Hi Franky!
Select one of the ailerons and check the 'reversed' checkbox. If the ailerons move the wrong direction, reverse the other one.
The 'empty' node should be assigned to the elevator channel and have a minimum and maximum angle as well.

Hope this helps,
Davy
Jun 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
Davy,
thank you.
We are close to the perfection.
I'm still having problem with the elevator, moving the stick up/down results in a sliding action of both ailerons/elevons.

What do you suggest to try next ?

Franky

Delta Duplex for RC Desk Pilot SIM.wmv (1 min 22 sec)
Jun 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyfly
Davy,
thank you.
We are close to the perfection.
I'm still having problem with the elevator, moving the stick up/down results in a sliding action of both ailerons/elevons.

What do you suggest to try next ?

Franky
Hi Franky, I guess the video is still being processed by Youtube as I can't view it completely, and since it's time to go to sleep here in Europe I'm going to take a guess at what's wrong.

I'll write a small tutorial how you should create elevons:
- create an empty node
- create two child nodes, one for each elevon.
- assign the elevon meshes to their respective node. This assumes that the elevon meshes have one point on their rotation axis in the origin. DO NOT MOVE THEM YET.
- select the empty node, move it, so that the elevons are in the right position, at least in the longitudinal and vertical axis.
- with the empty node selected: assign it to the elevator channel and move the rotation axis sideways. The rotation axis displayed should be on the same position as the real rotation axis on the model. Set min and max angles.
- select an elevon node, now move the elevon ONLY SIDEWAYS until it is in the correct position. Move the rotation axis sideways. Assign it to the aileron channel. Set min and max angles.
- do the same for the other elevon.

That should do it. This trick only works if the rotation axis is perfectly perpendicular to the fuselage (which from the look of your video is the case). If both elevons rotate at an angle, you'll need to create two seperate empty-elevon hierarchys and move the rotation axis of each node to the corresponding position.

I know this sounds complicated, but in short the trick is: first get the elevator rotation correct, than do the aileron rotation. Without being able to watch the video, I guess you haven't set the elevator axis correctly.

Hope you can get it to work.
Davy
Jun 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
Franky, you are so close, and if your still having problems... in your last video it looks like you positioned your flappers when you had the ailerons selected. Both aileron positions should be set and stay at 0,0,0. Your aileron rotations are fine.

Select empty(elevator) and then adjust the position with the rotation black line set. (You may have to resave your aileron files positioned correctly in SU, leaving X alone, but postion Y and Z at the center of your pivot point).
That's how I'd do it, at least...

Else like Davy said, only adjust the left/right aileron positions.

It took me a few times to wrap my head around this, but it's easy once you understand whats happening.
Last edited by Eves; Jun 10, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Jun 11, 2010, 06:25 AM

Duplex Delta

Okey-dokey

It works now.

Thank you both Davy and Eves.

By the way Eves, your last posted plane file helped me a lot.
I opened it with the editor and I got the trick for the solution.

Franky

P.S.: I'll post soon the zip file to share with you all.

Duplex Delta final. (0 min 38 sec)
Jun 11, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks Franky,
The Duplex Delta looks like a fun plane to fly. I was eye balling this one myself in the forums here last week, looking for ideas. You beat me too it.
Good job and congrats on your first.
Jun 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
I downloaded this. It looks much better on my vista than FMS. Good job. My question is getting the trim set. I am using an old hitec flash 5 tx and USB interface. I have my trims set all the way to the right +100 and I still have to hold my rt on the stick. The sliders don't move very far it seems. Also, my zero throttle is actually about 1/3. The planes won't stop or even slow down much.

Any help appreciated. BTW I am using the new beta version and have downloaded all the current planes. They all do it.
Jun 12, 2010, 06:12 PM
AHAH, calibrate in control panel in game controllers... Now all is good.
Jun 13, 2010, 07:12 PM

Skyray fd-4

My collection is growing.

With this one I had problem with the sound file. It seems like wax and wayne. I changed the pitch of the sound file (I used AUDACITY to edit the file), but it did not cure it.

I need somebody that tell me more about how to adjust for the sound effect.

It's a nice plane to fly.

Franky
Jun 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm no expert Franky, but if your talking about the glitchy sound where the end of the loop meets the beginning ... I use Audacity too and tried the "leveller" effect. I think it does just what it says and levels out the peaks to a degree. It seemed to help your sound.
That's a tough one though and you may just have to play with it to get it right. Croping it in a different spot may help or changing the length, I don't have a definite answer.
I do think an even, steady wave form is what we are looking for.
Good luck.
(shhh.. or do like I did and mod Davy's sounds. I dont think he'll mind)

Just a suggestion too... When you set the plane's collision points, it doesn't hurt to add landing gear points even if you don't have landing gear. It will keep the shadow off of the wings, when landing, if you add a couple of points on the belly.

Thumbs Up Franky
Jun 14, 2010, 09:03 AM

Payen 22

Eves, I did what you suggested with AUDACITY using the equalizer function but I don't like the sound so I mod the Davy's .wav file too.

BTW I used a "virtual" landing gear on the PAYEN, more realistic now.

Franky