Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
OK, one more for the RC Desk Pilot.
Here's the ParkZone Super Decathlon
brushless version.

The videos of this plane show some awesome
aerobatics for a 3-channel R/E/T airplane.

It might need some more throws.

-- ggunners
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners
OK, one more for the RC Desk Pilot.
Here's the ParkZone Super Decathlon
brushless version.

The videos of this plane show some awesome
aerobatics for a 3-channel R/E/T airplane.

It might need some more throws.

-- ggunners
no need for extra throws here was rolling no problems and nice and fast also stable with very nice power
May 16, 2010, 11:32 PM

Mullicoupe

And another...

wow ggunners, this plane looks very much structured like the Decathlon. I could'a should'a but didn't use your par file. I struggled with my own in an attempt to learn what's what with setting the plane physics. Even though Davy made things much easier with the editor, I'm a newbie with a limited understanding of aerodynamics and all of it's terminology.

This is my first plane and all constructive criticism is welcome... as long as you can put up with my newbieness.

EDIT: this plane is now revamped as of 5/22/10, I hope it works better.
Last edited by Eves; May 23, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
May 17, 2010, 07:05 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Your Mullicoupe is gorgeous. However, many people will not be able to see your airplane because you left the image map skin as a fully qualified directory. It looks something like C:\modelfactory\mullicoupe\mullicoupe skin-1.png or so. If you change it to just the filename "mullicoupe skin-1.png" others will be able to enjoy your creation.

You have a lot of polygons there, but they are beautiful.

You might want to find a model close to yours and make the flight physics close to that model. It looks a bit like a Beaver and that may be a good model to use. There you can get the span, chord and weight of the model which will help with accurate flight physics and specifying the size for the sim.

The PZ Super Decathlon is a small airplane. Here's the specs

Wing Span: 35.4 in / 900mm
Overall Length: 25.3 in / 640mm
Flying Weight: 16.0 oz / 450g
Motor Size: 370 brushless outrunner
Propeller: 8.25 x 5.5 (210 x 140)
ESC: E-flite 10A Pro Brushless
Radio: ZX10 3-channel required R/E/T
Servos: 3 sub-micro servos
Battery: 2S 7.4V 800mAh LiPo

The eFlite Beaver specs are:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=795005&pp=100

Wing Span:68 in (1735mm)
Overall Length:43 in (1090mm)
Wing Area:565 sq in (36.4 sq dm)
Flying Weight:4.9 - 6.2 lbs (2.2 - 2.8 kg)
Motor Size:Power 25 or Power 32
Radio:6+ Channels w/6 mini servos
Servos: (6) JR Sport MN-48
Trim Scheme Colors:Ultracote White with maroon and gold trim
Prop Size:APC 12x8E
Hardware Included:Yes
Speed Control :60 Amp
Recommended Battery:3S 11.1V 3200 mAh Li-Po
Flaps:Yes, prehinged
Approx. Flying Duration:10 minutes

-- ggunners

May 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners
Your Mullicoupe is gorgeous. However, many people will not be able to see your airplane because you left the image map skin as a fully qualified directory. It looks something like C:\modelfactory\mullicoupe\mullicoupe skin-1.png or so. If you change it to just the filename "mullicoupe skin-1.png" others will be able to enjoy your creation. ....
Are you referring to the .mqo file? or the RCdeskpilot files? or both?
I was afraid of that for the .mqo but I was hoping it rendered ok in RCdeskpilot. Yes/no?
Thanks, ggunners and also for the plane references.

Cheers
May 17, 2010, 11:10 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
All the directx files have the full path for the image map file. So, unless someone set up their hard drive the same way and knew to put the image map file in that spot, it will not find the image map file and renders the model without the skin. Looks pretty bad without it. :0

-- ggunners
May 17, 2010, 03:45 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Eves, One other thing I noticed is that your image map (skin) is a .png file with white as transparent. While this works well in the final RCDP sim, it does not work correctly in the RCDP editor or Metasequoia. While it is a bit more work. It would work better in more applications to have a transparent material for the windows instead of relying on proper handling of the transparent color in the .png image. -- ggunners
May 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves
Are you referring to the .mqo file? or the RCdeskpilot files? or both?
I was afraid of that for the .mqo but I was hoping it rendered ok in RCdeskpilot. Yes/no?
Thanks, ggunners and also for the plane references.

Cheers
Hi Eves, absolutely beautiful airplane, someone should build a real R/C model of it. Very smoothly modeled as well! If this is your first try, I'm amazed!
Some technical pointers:
- re. textures: look in the Configuration > System settings of metasequoia for the texture folder and place a copy of your texture there. Then reassign the texture file in the material to that copy. That should remove the direct paths in your .mqo and .x files (the 'tex' part of your material should not contain directory info, just the filename).
- I see in your .mqo file that all materials have some degree of transparency (alpha < 1.0). This is bad for framerate, appearance and your plane doesn't have a shadow . So check your materials for alpha and set it to 1.0 (except for the truely transparent ones). Also set emission and ambient to 0 for all materials, or the plane won't get the correct shading/lighting.

Edit: I just see ggunners message coming in: aaaah... you set the material alpha < 1.0 to get the windows transparent . Gary is right: modelling the windows in a seperate, transparent material is more efficient, but you'll also need to build some sort of interior or the result might be weird when looking inside the cockpit.

I'll be happy to help out with the flight model should you want to.

Keep up the good work guys! I'm loving it! Now I just can't stop flying your aircraft to work on the sim

Davy
May 17, 2010, 05:49 PM
OK, If there was something to screw up, I knew I could do it. LOL

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll look into tweaking things.
Hmm, if not a .png (what you see as white is transparent in Photoshop) then a bitmap with an alpha channel? This did not seem to work for scenery models.
Edit: I take it using the png is ok, just make a separate material file for transparencies and one with no transparency for the other solid parts?

Davy, thanks, I have a lot of experience with 2D vector drawing so it helps with the 3rd dimension. I had done some 3D drawings in the past, but never a plane and never to this extent.
And yes, I lost my shadow. This was strange, because it was flickering between black and white for my original fixed.x and then at one point and it decided to fly off on its' own somewhere. If anyone finds it, please redirect it back to me.

Back to the drawing board...
Last edited by Eves; May 17, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
May 18, 2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves
Edit: I take it using the png is ok, just make a separate material file for transparencies and one with no transparency for the other solid parts?
Bingo
Of course the transparent material doesn't need to have a texture. Let me know if you see another black/white flashing shadows. It might be that double sided faces cause it and I might need to fix it.

Davy
May 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that confirmation Davy.

However, I am pulling my hair out having major problems creating a transparent model, such as the propdisk, without a texture. I see ggunners' pz-p51-bl also has a transparent cockpit, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. I can not import an .x file to help see how it's done. I'll look for another FMS model with a .mqo file included. LOL, I can normally figure this stuff out, but it's driving me nuts.
I do have both 2.3 and 2.4 MetasequoiaLE on my Vista Ultimate 64, maybe they are conflicting?
I have been using the 2.4, I'll try the 2.3.
Does anyone know if there are any issues of this nature with 2.4?

Yes, I am using double sided faces and the shadow disappeared totally when I combined several objects into one layer/box in metasequoia.
I have to do some model object reorganization anyways, so I'll let you know what I find.

There's a lot to learn with this 3D stuff and it can be daunting at times, but the fun of creating out weighs these setbacks.

Cheerio
May 18, 2010, 08:37 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
I use Meta LE 2.1.

To create a transparent object, you create a transparent material
without an image map. Then select the object and assign the
material to the object.

You can see my models as .mqo in the FMS models on my website.

-- ggunners
May 19, 2010, 10:07 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Here's the YardBird MiG-29.

Watch out, it is a bit fast and very acrobatic.

-- ggunners
May 19, 2010, 10:42 PM
@Davy and anyone else concerned, I have discovered a few things about Metasequoia and how it exporting the Direct.x file.

For the record my OS is Vista Ultimate 64. I have been testing both Metasequoia 2.4 and 2.3beta. (the currently free versions at the metasequoia site). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the programs for conformation.

* Both versions seem to work good with no problems as far as creating 3D objects within the program itself and saving them to the inherent .mqo file.

* Exporting (save as) the Direct.x file in 2.3b does not work at all for me. An odd dialog box appears and it saves the file in a completely different format of Pov-ray, I tried several times.

* Saving the .x file with 2.4 adds data to the file, even when I have Vertex Colors unchecked in the "save as" dialog box.
I believe this is where the shadow problem is occurring. I opened the .x file with a text editor and found "MeshVertexColors {... etc.", at the end of the file, which I compared to a good existing .x file that did not have this data. Low and behold, I erased this section and my shadow worked as it should. This may not be the definitive answer, you may know better Davy.

I haven't looked for it yet, but I will probably find the answer to my transparency problem here as well.

Edit: When I uncheck UV Mapping in the save as dialog box the transparency now works for a textureless object. yaa

Cy of relief

Cool ggunners! another plane...
Last edited by Eves; May 20, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
May 20, 2010, 02:21 PM
Heli Bouncer
A quick and dirty way to create a fairly good interior is to hide all of the objects except the fuselage, unlock the fuselage, but leave everything else locked, and push F1 for the side view.

Then in 'command' select "select with rope" and copy as much of the fuselage that will be inverted, that you could imagine you could see from the outside. I'd do this with single sided surfaces only. It's best to do all of your modelling with single sided polys. If you do double sided surfaces, you'll have weird artifacts in LOD ( viewed from a distance..)

Copy and paste the new selection and rename it 'interior'. select this new object and in the menu bar, select 'selected' > 'invert' and click it. You could also make up a rough UV mapping for the interior, or just 'scale' the image larger in 'mapping' and use a big dark section of your original mapping and map the interior the same.

I'd then reselect the interior object and using the edit box, scale the interior a couple of hundredths smaller in all axis'.

I'd also make the model's windows not so see through in transparency and in the color wheel select some darker colors. It's like using tinted glass