Jan 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
I like sanding and bringing her to life. I know I'm in the minority. Sanding is somewhat quick and easy with the proper grits and tools (various wooden blocks). I think many builders use sandpaper beyond it's useful life which is easy to do.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
I like sanding and bringing her to life. I know I'm in the minority. Sanding is somewhat quick and easy with the proper grits and tools (various wooden blocks). I think many builders use sandpaper beyond it's useful life which is easy to do.
Oddly enough, I enjoy the sanding. To me, it's the last tactile experience with the plane before it gets covered.
Jan 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Okay I'm weird too. I like the sanding part. I can sit in the backyard and just sand. Kind of like sitting in a rocking chair and whittling I suppose.
Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting
Okay I'm weird too. I like the sanding part. I can sit in the backyard and just sand. Kind of like sitting in a rocking chair and whittling I suppose.
Exactly! I like to close my eyes and run my fingers over the plane and feel for any imperfections or points that would snag the covering, etc. A master builder taught me that trick. It really does work for me, and calms me at the same time.
Jan 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Ok I feel better now LOL. Although I may have to call TMI on your running your fingers over your plane

Actually an ice cold beer and some tunes playing while I sand is probably my favorite part of building so far.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Exactly! I like to close my eyes and run my fingers over the plane and feel for any imperfections or points that would snag the covering, etc. A master builder taught me that trick. It really does work for me, and calms me at the same time.
Jan 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Ok I feel better now LOL. Although I may have to call TMI on your running your fingers over your plane

Actually an ice cold beer and some tunes playing while I sand is probably my favorite part of building so far.

Robert
LOL.... I'm too old. I can only do one thing at a time. Listen to music, drink beer, or sand. But never all three at once!

PS: What does TMI mean?
Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
TMI = Too Much Information

I enjoy sanding wood as long as I have the proper grit for the task. I'm not a fan of sanding foam though, it sounds weird.
Jan 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
I guess my only hope is to instill the hobby to my grandsons......a couple of them have taken some interest.
Feb 02, 2012, 07:24 AM
I have never build a Kit before until now. I enjoy every balsabit of it. Going back to assamble ARF"s is not in my mind right now, and most likly never. Tough I have to say that building to me, is maybe more fun than flying. It all about what you prefeer. I hope that it will come more kits to our hobbyshops and netshops, maybe half in half in kits and arfs.

Im sure it will when everebody discovery how much pleasure it is to see that a box of balsa turns in to a lovley bird ! Yeah!
Feb 02, 2012, 07:40 AM
Welcome!

What kit did you build or are working on?

I started out on a scratch build first then will be doing a kit next. Probably wrong order but having fun!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub
I have never build a Kit before until now. I enjoy every balsabit of it. Going back to assamble ARF"s is not in my mind right now, and most likly never. Tough I have to say that building to me, is maybe more fun than flying. It all about what you prefeer. I hope that it will come more kits to our hobbyshops and netshops, maybe half in half in kits and arfs.

Im sure it will when everebody discovery how much pleasure it is to see that a box of balsa turns in to a lovley bird ! Yeah!
Feb 02, 2012, 07:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub
I have never build a Kit before until now. I enjoy every balsabit of it.
I'm glad that you are enjoying your build. You are doing an excellent job with your Cub !
Feb 02, 2012, 07:50 AM
Well Duh on me. I've been watching Mrj3cub's build thread and didn't even know it.

Robert
Feb 02, 2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Welcome!

What kit did you build or are working on?

I started out on a scratch build first then will be doing a kit next. Probably wrong order but having fun!

Robert
Hey Robert!

This is my buildthread : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1578822
Feb 02, 2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
I'm glad that you are enjoying your build. You are doing an excellent job with your Cub !
Thanks Tom!
It is satisfying to hear that from the Builder of all Builders!
Have read your build threads and the spacewalker 1/3 is almost like a delichious dinner with my wife!
Feb 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
ARFs Are Me
Thanks !

I had wanted to build a 1/3 Spacewalker for over 20 years, but other models kept getting in the way. LOL Last Winter, I made the time to build it. The Spacewalker was a very satisfying project, and I'm glad that I finally have one. The model has been well recieved where ever I take it, and has been on the front page of a local newspaper.

Quick Reply