Dec 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D
Glad the gear is in good shape! I'm sure you'll be replacing that one!
I'll absolutely be replacing it. But I'm not sure yet if it will be a 72" Slick or a 72" Extra to be honest.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly
Dam, two birds in one week, that really, really sucks
Yes. It's down right depressing. I think I need some medication.
Dec 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
Fly Low
If it makes you feel any better...

When I got my first Slick it crashed on the second flight due to an engine failure. Then after I took all the time to fix and rebuild it as an electric and sure enough the control arm on the elevator came off and totaled the whole thing 6 flights in. I was very very perturbed. Nearly put the radio down.

But it is all good. Crashing sucks but is part of the hobby.
Dec 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55

When I got my first Slick it crashed on the second flight due to an engine failure. Then after I took all the time to fix and rebuild it as an electric and sure enough the control arm on the elevator came off and totaled the whole thing 6 flights in. I was very very perturbed. Nearly put the radio down.

yeah i remember that....that was the day i helped out with a gas engine haha (well attempted to help out)
Dec 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55

I agree with you Wamsy. It's a part of the hobby. The thought crossed my mind today to just walk away from the hobby. Back to back days like this are frustrating but I love the hobby too much to walk away from it.
Dec 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
inverted-i-fly
Nah, time to dust off the 48" edge and place an order with 3dhs to build up that point total. Too bad your not on the west coast, you could just pick up hone1er's 71 and have it in the air within a day
Dec 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly
Nah, time to dust off the 48" edge and place an order with 3dhs to build up that point total. Too bad your not on the west coast, you could just pick up hone1er's 71 and have it in the air within a day
Ironically I DID fly the Edge this morning... right before my Slick bit it.

All I've got left in the hangar is my 48" Edge, 48" Super Vyper, and 51" Slick!

I'll just make the best of what I've got until after the holidays when I can start restocking. I'm definitely going to replace the 57" Extra. I just need to figure out whether I'm going to get a new 71" Slick or a new 72" Extra. I love(d) my 57" Extra so much so I'm kinda leaning towards the 72" Extra.
Dec 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Don't forget the 74" Edge.... I am really loving mine!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 02, 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Well... Lost signal today. Completely.

Devastated. Attachment 5344160
bad week for slicks... mine 51, your 71.... sigh.. and a fantasy blue just to add to that...
Dec 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Fly Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21
yeah i remember that....that was the day i helped out with a gas engine haha (well attempted to help out)
Yea.

Never again will I own a DLE-30.
Dec 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts
bad week for slicks... mine 51, your 71.... sigh.. and a fantasy blue just to add to that...
And...this was was personally built but Scott Stoops. AND... I just lost my 57" SC I'm a midair the day before! DOH!!
Dec 02, 2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts
My 71 went in this week also. I just about got it all back together and I am scared to death that the crashed was caused but something other then the elavator spar! We will see! I run a DLE 30 and I Cleaned up the Reeds and put the Bowman Ring in and a Brand new carb on it hoping that it fixes my Flame outs that are occuring when I flip from Upside down back to normal at low RPMS. I am really sorry about your plane Turnem.
Dec 02, 2012, 04:50 PM
Team Hillbilly
Sorry to hear about you losing your planes Mike. I'm glad to see your down but not out.
Dec 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06
Sorry to hear about you losing your planes Mike. I'm glad to see your down but not out.
Thanks man. After having stepped away from the SC, I think I can be back in business with just a new motor box. But I'll need to buy a new Slick (or 72" Extra).
Dec 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll
Have you thought about making an aluminum LG? Much more flexible than CF but will still support your plane. I've made several for 40" up to 74" ARF's.

1.25" wide and 0.125 - 0.1875 thick; a little work, time and paint and you can have a nice LG for $10.
I have done this on couple of my 48" planes and it does work well. Especially since I'm in the aviation business, we have the good tempered aluminum in our airframe repair section. Actually the nylon bolts work well, they help minimize damage quite well. I just need to make it a little stronger by getting the right combination of enough strength for hard landings but they break away in a real bad landing or crash.

Quick Reply